Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Tranny Filler Plug (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6895)

Rick 02-27-2010 03:34 PM

Tranny Filler Plug

Ok....after 10 years of ownership and more oil changes I can count, I have a big problem. My tranny filler plug is tight.....really tight and the hex head is pretty loose....on the verge of stripping.

What is my next move? Do I go for it?? Strip out the hex head?

Do I remove the carb, clutch slave and get out a little propane tourch and give it a little heat?

Do I drill it out, and fill the tranny with shavings? That is not where I want to go just yet.

Ohhhhh, yea, forgot to mention, I need my bike ready by next weekend, as it is being transported down to San Felipe, Mexico for some Baja riding....

Thanks

gasgasman 02-27-2010 03:46 PM

Take a Torx bit that will fit tight in the fill plug.
Tap it into the fill plug, now remove it.

SpeedyManiac 02-27-2010 06:21 PM

Use a manual impact driver to nudge it loose.

PEB 02-27-2010 07:03 PM

If these don't work I would try to grind a slot in the head of the bolt and use a screwdriver. Seems like the heat would expand the alum. before it expanded the cases, might make things worse. Maybe try dry ice on the bolt?

HuskyDude 02-27-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 40389)
Take a Torx bit that will fit tight in the fill plug.
Tap it into the fill plug, now remove it.

Torx fit Allen head bolts you just have to tap them in a bit.

GMP 02-27-2010 08:13 PM

Try the Torx trick, if it strips, try walking it out with a chisel. Once out, use an o-ring on the new plug instead of the crush washer so all you have to do is snug it down.

skid jackson 02-27-2010 08:20 PM

If you strip it out leave it alone until you get back from baja. The oil will work just fine and you won't have to worry about anything going into the tranny and making itself known somewhere in baja. Ilike the torx approach, then try walking it outwith the chiesel .... good luck!!!

funmachines 02-27-2010 09:03 PM

Some more approaches for you:1) First heat up the plug with a torch but don't try to turn it. Let it cool and then heat up the cases around the plug then try to remove it with the Torx bit while the caes are hot. Heating up the plug first will hopefully expand it a bit relative to the hole and hopefully move the case intereference area. Then when you are ready to unthread the plug if you heat up the area around it and not the plug it should loosen it up a little more. 2) If you strip the allen hole there are some different types of easy outs to try. 3) Last but not least you can TIG the plug through a hole on a bar. Quite often TIG welding a bar to a plug will expand the plug even more than a torch and loosens things up a lot (once it cools) and then gives you lots of leverage with a bar to get it out.

Good luck

stainlesscycle 02-28-2010 04:17 AM

stuck bolts:hit the head vertically with a big punch to free the threads. if that doesn't free it up, i cut a small slot on the edge of the head with a sharp chisel, then use chisel/hammer in the slot and hit it perpendicular to the head to get it turn a tiny bit. you only need to get it to turn maybe 1/8 of a rotation to free 'em up.....hard to describe in words, but it works every time. haven't used an impact driver in years.. the chisel method is faster and easier....

cbutler 02-28-2010 05:56 AM

Have you tried a standard size allen seeing how the metric is wallowed out just a thought.

Good lock