Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   steering damper virtual shootout? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9298)

mtothef 03-21-2011 09:08 PM

steering damper virtual shootout?

i know, this should probably go in the suspension forum, but more of you lurk here than there, and i am curious to see what the general mood is - let's talk steering dampers:

i have had both scotts (ktm 200, tons of woods) and GPR (xr650, lots of desert), and am pretty well versed in the difference in feel between the two and where they work well and where they suffer. i have a 2010 GG300, and love everything about the way it handles other than the fact that it gets a bit nervous when things start running out the top of 4th gear.

so, who uses what, and why? i am curious to know how the motosportz rates, and i am curious if anyone has tried to mount a w.e.r on a 2010, and if they had to remove the radiator catch tank to do so. i am also curious as to how any of the usual suspects (scotts, gpr, w.e.r, motosportz) work in conjunction with a larger than stock tank. bring your knowledge down on me...

GMP 03-22-2011 08:22 AM

I'm a Scotts fan, for several reasons. First, it has a high speed ckt, that damps quick deflection type hits even if the low speed dampining is turned way down. This is a major safety factor to me. Second, I'm not forced into a tall submount like Motosportz which I really hate the feel of, and third, its not hanging out in the breeze on the front fender to get trashed in a tree encounter, which I have done yrs ago with a WER. All this plus I can completely service it on the bench in a half hour.

mikemoto 03-22-2011 08:22 AM

I am trying a fastway pro moto damper. Lots of adjustments, seems better then a scoots, I love the mount. I have only had it on for a little wile so I still have to play with it but I like the high speed adjust on the fly.

onegreyghost 03-22-2011 11:06 AM

steering damper

I am running an Onlins 2.1. Doesn't effect bar height no special bar mounts necessary. I also have a scotts that works really well and is so dependable, I have owned it for over 14 years. I take it off my old bike and purchase a kit for the new bike and bolt it on and ride. It has been serviced twice by the manufacturer and I change the oil every year. I put about 4,000 miles per year on my bike. Ninety percent of my riding is single track so they get a work out from smacking limbs and trees. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for in this life and Ohlins is hard to beat.

Krieg 03-22-2011 11:36 AM

I'm a fan of the Motosportz damper. I've put them on 5 bikes over the past 3 years and have never had an issue. I like the simple, "on-the-fly" adjustability. It works great for the type of riding I do.

Rick 03-22-2011 12:19 PM

I run a WER...... on my 200. One of the reasons is, when I bought the bike, Mike had the bracket already on the frame, so it was an easy choice for me. I like it, only draw back is not making "on the fly" adjustments.

Keg 03-22-2011 03:47 PM

I have used a couple of different ones, but the Scotts (ohlins v.1) is the best.

The Ohlins version2 is ok as long as you have a nut under the tripleclamp (KTM don't and they work loose.) or it does not come slightly loose as it is only held in by the tripleclamp pressure.

I have hear good things from Fastway Pro Moto as it is very similar to Scotts, but have not tried it myself.

thumperrider1 03-23-2011 06:14 AM

Mike, do you have any pics of your Fastway setup?

mtothef 03-23-2011 08:15 AM

decisions, decisions...

lots of good info here - i hadn't seen the fastway or the ohlins 2.1 (sweet piece of kit, but damn they make you pay for it!) yet. i'm leaning away from the GPR since the bike is going to be spending a lot more time in the woods than the desert and the idea of separate high and low speed circuits as well as neutral return to center is appealing to me.

had good luck with GPR in the past, but they definitely made the bike feel heavier steering. so, that rules them out. would love it if whatever i end up with can fit a low-profile sub mount so it doesn't have to mount on top of the bars, but that isn't a deal breaker at this time.

anyone with the ohlins or fastway, would be stoked to see pics of your setup, or get some input on what specific kit you used to fit a gasgas, and what if any mods needed to be made.

thanks for all the input so far!

mikemoto 03-24-2011 09:05 AM

I'll take pictures today if someone would tell me how to post them