Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Other... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   DirtBike Mag Article Full Wrap Hand Guards? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26214)

Moto7man 08-29-2023 11:33 AM

DirtBike Mag Article Full Wrap Hand Guards?

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/hand-sh...r-know-it-all/

swazi_matt 08-29-2023 01:21 PM

I see most of extreme enduro riders use flags now, but the same reason i run tubliss over mooses is just because i am more concerned about finishing (within budget lol) than the seconds saved

Bryan 08-29-2023 01:24 PM

I like their reference to 28" bars. I cut an inch of each side :D.

It's funny to watch people follow me through the woods and hit everything while I slide right through. I never tell them to cut their bars. I figure someday they'll figure it out. :rolleyes:

SS109 08-29-2023 04:05 PM

For my terrain I always run full wraps. Between the sharp rocks that love to break things when you go down to the cholla cactus that loves to hitch a ride on your fingers they have saved my rides, and my wallet, many times.

gasgasman 08-30-2023 11:32 AM

Full wrap for me. Saves my levers.

Moto7man 08-31-2023 12:54 AM

Cr 500

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan (Post 202178)
I like their reference to 28" bars. I cut an inch of each side :D.

It's funny to watch people follow me through the woods and hit everything while I slide right through. I never tell them to cut their bars. I figure someday they'll figure it out. :rolleyes:

I use to have a riding buddy that rode a 1988 CR500 and he ran 28 inch bars. The first time I rode his machine I felt like I was threading a needle through the woods on that big bike. The 28 inch bars are an advantage.:D

motorhead 10-16-2023 09:28 PM

Full wrap with the EE spoilers. I love how I can just blow through stuff. Haven't bent bars in a long time, but pretty sure I'm under 28" . Rode some buddies bikes last year and the wide bars felt VERY strange!

webmaster 10-17-2023 11:38 AM

I quit using wrap around "bark busters" in the late 1980s after I saw a friend get a really really bad wrist break when he hit a tree stump and went over the bars. His hand/wrist stuck inside the bark busters and acted as a lever to break his arm at the wrist.... (and for those of you who know him - it was Les at LT-Racing...)

As far as I know they are no longer legal in euro enduro racing (ISDE etc.).

Just be aware that they do come with a "risk".

As far as bars go - pro taper does have enduro bars that are narrower out of the box. The advantage of these is that they have more room for your controls. These have changed names over the years - "hawkins hi", "enduro hi", etc... I have also run a "cr mini high" in the past. Northwest USA with lots of trees to dodge...

jeff

coopernicus 10-17-2023 03:11 PM

For eastern (PA, NJ, DE) Hare Scrambles A and B class I used 28 inch bars with full wrap Bark Busters brand (no shields).

Same area ECEA enduros (B and C class) I used 26 inch bars with full wrap Bark Busters (no shields) giving me roughly 27 inch width. The narrow bars were easier in tight eastern woods and the narrow width allowed for quicker steering response to get around those trees.

Colorado single track didn't give me enough concern to cut down bars or use protection as I was used to eastern tight trails. Only whacked fingers a couple of times over the years. I will say our riding group thought I was nuts!

I now use full wrap Cycra with shields in CO because they came on the '18 300 I bought (used). I use them now for a folding mirror (I'm street legal) and route chart for our planned rides.

gasgasman 10-17-2023 06:45 PM

The SXS hand guards are about as strong as full wrap hand guards.
Plus, they don't add additional width to your bars.