Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Need suggestions for more bottom hit (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25125)

preston953 04-27-2020 09:56 PM

Need suggestions for more bottom hit

I have a 2018 250 XC with a FMF Gnarly pipe and I'm a little disappointed with the bottom end response. Has anyone experimented with a Smart Carb on their GG bike? I'm also open to moving around the setting for the exhaust valve or getting a head mod. I just need/want a little more hit off the bottom to loft the front wheel over logs, ditches and trail obstacles. :confused:

TGM_OFFROAD 04-27-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by preston953 (Post 194847)
I have a 2018 250 XC with a FMF Gnarly pipe and I'm a little disappointed with the bottom end response. Has anyone experimented with a Smart Carb on their GG bike? I'm also open to moving around the setting for the exhaust valve or getting a head mod. I just need/want a little more hit off the bottom to loft the front wheel over logs, ditches and trail obstacles. :confused:

Start with playing with the pv adjuster since thats free. The Rk tek gave my 300 more power across the board. Or your other option is buying a 300 top end and bolting it on.

frankinberg 04-27-2020 10:43 PM

Put a 51 tooth rear sproket set the squish band play with different jetting I like jd jet kit and check power valve setting it will rip then

Zman 04-29-2020 08:01 AM

I agree with the previous comments and will add that the STIC metering block will make a great change across the board.

preston953 04-29-2020 07:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen, much appreciated.

preston953 04-29-2020 08:07 PM

Since I want a little more bottom hit. When I adjust the exhaust valve, I'll want to decrease the pre-load so it opens sooner, correct? So that will be a counter-clockwise adjustment (lefty loosy). What is the stock setting, 2 turns out from closed? What is the suggested turn increments, 1/4, 1/2 or a full turn?

TGM_OFFROAD 04-29-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by preston953 (Post 194875)
Since I want a little more bottom hit. When I adjust the exhaust valve, I'll want to decrease the pre-load so it opens sooner, correct? So that will be a counter-clockwise adjustment (lefty loosy). What is the stock setting, 2 turns out from closed? What is the suggested turn increments, 1/4, 1/2 or a full turn?

Stock is 2 turns out from full stop. Technically in is supposed to give more bottom end grunt but if you are looking for more of a quicker revving bike then go out. Out makes the pv open sooner. My recommendation is to play with it and see what you prefer.

Jakobi 04-29-2020 10:48 PM

Keeping the PV closed will help with off idle power.. If it opens too soon you'll have a more aggressive delivery, which is not necessarily 'more'..

What gearing do you have now?

What jetting do you have?

My experience with these engines is..

13-50/51 gearing
head modification (squish and comp ratio)
quick pull G2 throttle
jetted with Keihin needle for response and delivery (has varied on each engine).

I have used Lectrons and Smart Carbs.. I don't think they offer value for money. They work well enough, but aren't a magic product either. Still require some adjustment and still aren't 'perfect' persay.

The above list I do before I worry about anything else.

(F5) 04-30-2020 02:17 PM

For tree roots, throttle response is key. With the wrong needle, in particular the stock needle it will be bogging for long enough for response to be soggy.

preston953 04-30-2020 09:57 PM

Thanks again folks. You've given me some excellent starting points, along with good ideas to develop a plan. Even though I haven't specifically said it in this thread I really do like the bike and I'm looking to tailor it's traits to work for me.