Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Spark Plug (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8956)

Crankin04 02-21-2011 11:06 AM

Spark Plug

How often do you 450 riders Replace your Spark Plugs? Got new battery fully charged, New Premium Gas in, New oil Change and Coolant after flush and air filter, but still can't seem to get my 2004 FSE 450 to start. Yes, it is still pretty cold up here in the Northwest, but Should be able to get it to start.

I haven't checked my plug yet, but what are the signs to show I need it replaced? I know their Cheap....Should I get a CR8E if so? How about my fuel trim? I have the software and cable. For how cold it is, should it be adjusted leaner or richer with key on?

Thanks guys!

Chris

iancp5 02-22-2011 06:00 AM

I've never replaced the plug. I'd expect the engine to be need a major overhaul before the plug needs changing! Unless it's damaged it probably wont even need cleaning. Just check the gap.

Starting - these bikes can be a real PITA but they should start when everything is perfect. I have found my idle mixture control (air bleed screw??) has a big effect when cold on starting as does fuel. The battery is only just able to spin the engine fast enough so it doesn't take much to cause a problem. If it's been standing a while jump it from a car battery so you can keep it cranking at speed for several seconds, not too long as the wiring isn't that thick. But to reiterate for mine I have found fresh fuel and idle mixture key. Of course if you dump some fresh fuel in you'll still have some old stuff in the pump and lines so it will need a bit of cranking hence jump it from a car.

ggg 02-23-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crankin04 (Post 57894)
How often do you 450 riders Replace your Spark Plugs? Got new battery fully charged, New Premium Gas in, New oil Change and Coolant after flush and air filter, but still can't seem to get my 2004 FSE 450 to start. Yes, it is still pretty cold up here in the Northwest, but Should be able to get it to start.

I haven't checked my plug yet, but what are the signs to show I need it replaced? I know their Cheap....Should I get a CR8E if so? How about my fuel trim? I have the software and cable. For how cold it is, should it be adjusted leaner or richer with key on?

Thanks guys!

Chris

Every year i replace the plug, remove ur plug and gets someone to kick it over with it connected and held against the motor to see if it sparks.

jostby 02-23-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancp5 (Post 57933)
I've never replaced the plug. I'd expect the engine to be need a major overhaul before the plug needs changing! Unless it's damaged it probably wont even need cleaning. Just check the gap.

I agree with iancp5. A lot of people waste a lot of money on plugs. With a regular plug (non-iridium or platinum) look at the center electrode and the ground tab for wear. The spark will actually erode these surfaces and they will start to appear rounded (compare to a new plug with nice squared-off edges). That is the sign that it's time to replace. With Iridium and Platinum plugs easily lasting 100,000 miles in the automotive they would probably never get to the point of needing replacement in a dirtbike.
I haven't changed the plugs in either of my 2-smokes for 4yrs +/- but I do carry spares :D
With that said, why change a good plug? All new parts have a certain percentage failure rate. Although rare, you might take your old one out, replace it, and the new one might drop an electrode after 20hrs.

lankydoug 02-23-2011 12:58 PM

I agree with the above posts except if the plug has ever been fuel fouled replace it. Don't waste your time trying to clean a fuel fouled plug it won't work. A plug can be fuel fouled by sitting over the winter with fuel residue on it so I have always changed plugs before the first ride in the spring on 2t or 4t engines.

flybars 02-23-2011 02:26 PM

I would start with a new plug also. Just to be sure. I have found that if U can take the '04 into a heated room, it will start alot easier. Maybe let your truck's exhaust blow on the motor for awhile should help too. Also, it helps to kick start it while using the button. And lastly, lean it up against a tree and find tdc and kick that bitch hard!
In '05 GASGas improved on the starter. I had an '05 and never had a problem starting it with the button, but had a hard time kicking it to life. Good luck.

Crankin04 02-24-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancp5 (Post 57933)

Starting - these bikes can be a real PITA but they should start when everything is perfect. I have found my idle mixture control (air bleed screw??) has a big effect when cold on starting as does fuel. The battery is only just able to spin the engine fast enough so it doesn't take much to cause a problem. If it's been standing a while jump it from a car battery so you can keep it cranking at speed for several seconds, not too long as the wiring isn't that thick. But to reiterate for mine I have found fresh fuel and idle mixture key. Of course if you dump some fresh fuel in you'll still have some old stuff in the pump and lines so it will need a bit of cranking hence jump it from a car.

Does the 04' 450 4t have an air bleed screw? the only way for me to do anything with the fuel is to mess with the trim setting on the VDST software. I have that and the cable. Does having that at the right setting help? What would be mine?

Crankin04 02-24-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crankin04 (Post 58087)
Does the 04' 450 4t have an air bleed screw? the only way for me to do anything with the fuel is to mess with the trim setting on the VDST software. I have that and the cable. Does having that at the right setting help? What would be mine?

So I got a couple Spark Plugs and new fuel mixed in. I will try changing out plug and hooking up to Car battery and trying to start. Should the car engine be turned off or on when hooking up to it's battery? I know my bike will start on the button when the bike is in good shape, so hopefully it's just this plug and really cold weather up here in Washington that's the problem!

Thanks guys. I'll post my results this weekend.

Crankin04

iancp5 02-25-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crankin04 (Post 58087)

Not sure. I have an 06 which has one. I have a plastic cover over the throttle body and it has a tinly hole through to the bleed screw. The holes is so small you can't get a screwdriver through so I enlarged mine. Might be easier to take the plastic cover off so you can have a look round. There's also a butterfly stop screw as well which is normally fixed and has a manufacturers mark to show if it's been moved.

Crankin04 02-25-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancp5 (Post 58159)
Not sure. I have an 06 which has one. I have a plastic cover over the throttle body and it has a tinly hole through to the bleed screw. The holes is so small you can't get a screwdriver through so I enlarged mine. Might be easier to take the plastic cover off so you can have a look round. There's also a butterfly stop screw as well which is normally fixed and has a manufacturers mark to show if it's been moved.

Can you post pics of yours? It might help me find mine...

Thanks!