Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   EC300 2010 smoking and smells bad (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24682)

Ryan.Ager 08-26-2019 11:48 AM

EC300 2010 smoking and smells bad

HI guys

Took the bike for an Enduro yesterday and there were some fast field sections. After the first lap, I noticed the bike smelt bad and seemed hot. There seemed to be a lot of spooge in the silencer which was smoking for quite a while after running it.
I searched some threads on here, and checked the crank drain today. I got a small amount of coolant come out, but nothing major. I'm guessing anything in there isn't great and there is an issue. Question is what's the problem. Head gasket? cylinder o rings? I'm not overly sure.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Jacob 'Berg 08-26-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan.Ager (Post 191720)
HI guys

Took the bike for an Enduro yesterday and there were some fast field sections. After the first lap, I noticed the bike smelt bad and seemed hot. There seemed to be a lot of spooge in the silencer which was smoking for quite a while after running it.
I searched some threads on here, and checked the crank drain today. I got a small amount of coolant come out, but nothing major. I'm guessing anything in there isn't great and there is an issue. Question is what's the problem. Head gasket? cylinder o rings? I'm not overly sure.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks guys!

If you have coolant in the crank case I would think it could only be 1) head gasket (o-rings) 2) center case gasket (leaking at coolant passage between the case halves 3) base gasket (less likely, as I would think you would be leaking coolant externally as well)

(F5) 08-26-2019 02:10 PM

So. . . Is the water level down?

As an aside you should repack your muffler, say yearly if you ride a bit, and burn off the carbon in perforated tube.

Ryan.Ager 08-26-2019 04:09 PM

So, the coolant has dropped but only marginally. I run it on engine ice, which is why I think it smelt so bad.

I haven't had the bike that long, and the exhaust repack was on the to do list, although now I think I may just buy the fmf q stealth and keep the stock for a spare.

Ryan.Ager 08-26-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg (Post 191721)
If you have coolant in the crank case I would think it could only be 1) head gasket (o-rings) 2) center case gasket (leaking at coolant passage between the case halves 3) base gasket (less likely, as I would think you would be leaking coolant externally as well)

I haven't seen any external leaking, and not too much missing from the rad.

Jacob 'Berg 08-26-2019 04:38 PM

I would not continue to run the bike with coolant leaking into the combustion chamber or crank case.

Ryan.Ager 08-27-2019 05:32 AM

I'm not going to run it now. I've ordered the gaskets and o rings, so hopefully it's a fairly simple fix. I was going to do a tear down on the engine over winter, but that may come sooner if it's the centre gasket.

palframan 08-30-2019 09:12 AM

Are you sure it was coolant in the crank case?

Fast field sections will heat up the silencer, burning out all kinds of old stinky goo.

I've jumped to erroneous conclusions often enough.....

(F5) 08-30-2019 03:17 PM

See post #3. My thinking exactly.

shawbagga 09-01-2019 09:46 PM

Yes to the last 2 posts. Mine smokes on shutdown after hard WOT runs. Burns all the low rev single track spooge out & smells funky.