Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Coolant overflow (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25233)

Robbo746 06-28-2020 03:31 PM

Coolant overflow

Hi gassers.

Just had my first ride on my 19? EC300. its 2000kms old, but its new to me :).

Absolutely loved the biked. i put a NECW on 3rd clip and the bottom end is awesome, found it perfect for tech single track.

The only issue i had was after a fairly tough long loose, 2nd gear pinned hill climb, with a couple of stops and starts on the way up, it spat coolant... quite aggressively. the overflow is quite short so it appeared to jet onto the head then spray all over the exhaust bottom of radiator etc. theres was that much it looked like it could have leaked from the bottom right radiator hose.

after that we rode anothef two hours, but no more flat out hills, just lugging trch hills, and no overflow.

Is this something of concern? i actually in 20 years of bikes have never had a bike spray like that, normally just a dribble..

I thought there may be a common fix (different radiator cap or something)

Thanks

Robbo

gasgasman 06-28-2020 08:11 PM

Your bike may be jetted a little lean.
Hence the boiling over.

Robbo746 06-28-2020 08:39 PM

I did think about that. It was the only hill I was full noise, and it did feel like it didnt want to pull up the hill.

I might have to pull the carb and check the main. I tried to have a sneaky look the other night but the shock spring just happens to be in the way to just spin it around.

Gasser Nate 06-28-2020 08:55 PM

Check the radiator cap, I have seen new ones out of the crate with a crystallised crust that stopped the cap from sealing.

Robbo746 06-29-2020 01:55 AM

My EC300 still has thermostat installed. I cant say I recall seeing one on an enduro before.. . could this have been the cause? not opening soon enough?

Doc Brown 06-29-2020 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbo746 (Post 195675)
My EC300 still has thermostat installed. I cant say I recall seeing one on an enduro before.. . could this have been the cause? not opening soon enough?

Most bikes have a thermostat these days. I have removed it but I don't think that it was the cause in your case. Also I don't think it is the jetting. I run a NECW in #3 too, combined with a 40 pilot jet and a 172 main and it is quite warm at the moment (73F). I didn't feel my bike running lean or getting hot when going uphill.

Gasser's run relatively cool. I think, that your rad was over filled or the rad cap, which is cheap crap has failed. Don't forget, coolant looks like blood, few ounces look more than they really are. Did you check the coolant level after the bike has cooled down? If so what did you find?

Robbo746 06-29-2020 05:24 AM

Thanks Doc. Well i checked jetting, new bike and all didnt know what was in it. it had a 40pj and a 168 main... which seems very lean... but maybe not the cause for the issue. but a strange main.

So im now at NECW #3 40 PJ and 172 main. I really liked it off the bottom so left needle and pilot all the same, just upped from the 168 to 172

I might get s new cap, it takes very little effort to do the cap up... to the point im not sure its actually on.

See how it goes. thanks for the help

Robbo746 06-29-2020 05:27 AM

Doc coolant level was at the fins after its spit.

I read ktm rad cap works for gassers. does anyone now what ktm year fits 2019 EC300? thanks!!!

Jacob 'Berg 06-29-2020 06:59 PM

Coolant level should be just above the top of the radiator fins. If it was any higher than this, you just blew out the extra coolant and the level is now where it should be.

If it keeps puking coolant, you will need to find out why. I would start with the radiator cap, some have been known not to seal well from new..Use a 1.8 bar.

Most euro bikes use the same cap, so big bike cap from a KTM should work.

Robbo746 06-29-2020 07:16 PM

Thanks Jacob. Didnt know that re level. Hopefully thats all it was. I might chuck a new cap on it to make sure.