Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Techniques & Training (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Missing 2 mins per lap but front is at grip limit! (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22964)

stay_upright 09-21-2017 06:38 AM

Missing 2 mins per lap but front is at grip limit!

Finished a race on Sunday - a lot of flat grass and mud corners I would say corner speed plus entry and exit speeds will determine 95% of your overall time.

I had a decent front tyre on - used quite a bit for over a year but not severely worn and my corner speed is limited by its grip - I know i'm pushing it as I had ~30 little front end slides when cornering but I don't loose any time and didn't crash because of the slides so I feel I cannot go faster in the corners.

Braking I'd say I'm up there with the best I brake very hard very late - I overtook 10's of people on the brakes and never got overtook there.

Accelerating out of corners I can make a bit of time there when the going is grippy but my top speed is also good so only the acceleration out of the corner which is limited by fitness really.

The top riders (at this local event) are lapping in 11 min and me 13 min so they are a lot faster.. And they are faster round the corners.

I can run a new front tyre next time but doubt it's worth 2 minutes - so how are they cornering faster than me?

FWIW rear end grip was good - no issues there loosing the rear particularly and had a new tyre on the rear.

I also run tubliss and had 6 front 5 rear PSI so that should help grip quite a bit as well.

Thoughts?

Zman 09-21-2017 07:22 AM

Can you drop any total weight of the rider and bike?
Have you tried to drop the forks in the triple clamps (to lower the front end) to get more grip?

stay_upright 09-22-2017 04:20 AM

The only time I dropped the forks the front sort of tucked when riding uphill corners stood up so I put it back and have no more handling problems.

I think I need to try a new cornering style wider line and aggressive with the throttle after watching some YouTube clips which are quite good.

I can also try to focus on getting my weight further forward to stop the front sliding. Its a shame there were no photos from the last event to see what the difference in posture is between me and the faster guys.

fullthrottle 09-22-2017 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stay_upright (Post 179025)
The only time I dropped the forks the front sort of tucked when riding uphill corners stood up so I put it back and have no more handling problems.

I think I need to try a new cornering style wider line and aggressive with the throttle after watching some YouTube clips which are quite good.

I can also try to focus on getting my weight further forward to stop the front sliding. Its a shame there were no photos from the last event to see what the difference in posture is between me and the faster guys.

This^^ and lower tyre pressures if not rocky

stay_upright 09-22-2017 07:57 AM

Lower than 6 psi that I have already??

Ive been looking at this video quite a bit

https://youtu.be/ayvwni_Ex1I

I think if I want to get faster I need to change my technique to this which will be quite a big change and a lot to learn. I think I'm riding more like a road bike (rear wheel not spinning not drifting) with MX position (sitting on tank, leg out)

fullthrottle 09-23-2017 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stay_upright (Post 179031)
Lower than 6 psi that I have already??

Ive been looking at this video quite a bit

https://youtu.be/ayvwni_Ex1I

I think if I want to get faster I need to change my technique to this which will be quite a big change and a lot to learn. I think I'm riding more like a road bike (rear wheel not spinning not drifting) with MX position (sitting on tank, leg out)

Something that helped me was when you go from standing and braking to sitting for the corner make a conscious effort to sit straight on the outside edge of the seat it gives a lot more front traction than siting on the flat of your seat, also don't discount how much difference a brand new tyre makes over a year old tyre even if not really worn they still lose the edge grip and rubber gets harder.

stay_upright 09-25-2017 06:06 AM

Full throttle - so your sitting position leans the bike over further?

I'll have a new front tyre for the next event (but partially worn rear)

There is a lot of conflicting info on whether to drift the rear round corners or not , the video I posted says yes - some others say no...

But I would guess if the corner is anything like a speedway corner then drifting is the way to go (I'm not saying I could do it though) since speedway guys know the fastest way (for flat loamy corners at least)

swazi_matt 09-26-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stay_upright (Post 179068)
Full throttle - so your sitting position leans the bike over further?

I'll have a new front tyre for the next event (but partially worn rear)

There is a lot of conflicting info on whether to drift the rear round corners or not , the video I posted says yes - some others say no...

But I would guess if the corner is anything like a speedway corner then drifting is the way to go (I'm not saying I could do it though) since speedway guys know the fastest way (for flat loamy corners at least)

sitting on the outside edge is similar to weighting the outside footpeg. It helps push your tyre into the ground improving grip.
There are some good youtube that will help with body position for cornering braking etc. There are also drills that can help like fig-8 and circle ruts. Better yet is to try and get on a pro training day with the likes of Chris birch or Shane watts

CDN Rick 10-31-2017 03:28 PM

Assuming you are doing all of this already but here is what I was taught by Chris Birch.

- Sit very far forward on the seat. If you think you are far enough forward you probably aren't.
-Butt cheek should be hanging off the side of the seat.
-Inside leg should be out and even with your front fork leg.
-Outside leg should be on the peg trying to break it off by pressing on it. There is no such thing as pushing too hard unless it actually snaps off.:D
-Head should be forward and positioned vertically above the contact point of the front tire on the ground looking up and forward.
-Hand placement and pressure is kinda hard to explain online.

If you ever get a chance to go to a local professional riding school even for just one day you'll be glad you did. Best money I ever spent on bikes was classes with Pro's.

LAWMAN 11-04-2017 03:06 PM

All good suggestions + I bet a new front tire would have made more difference than you think