Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Other GasGas Bikes/Quads (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   2001 TXT 280 ???? any opinions (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20179)

Stoby 09-04-2015 05:44 PM

2001 TXT 280 ???? any opinions

Okay plan to look at this bike. Had a Beta trials once rode it twice sold it regretted it --hate selling anything --except for the getting money part.....
Guy wants 1500 firm Trials bikes seem to be getting harder to find and more expensive so this seems reasonable
Anyone offer an opinion on this particular model??
Thanks in advance
Stoby

mtnmanseth 09-04-2015 05:56 PM

I bought the exact same bike for the exact same price about 2 months ago. My bike is/was in good-to-excellent condition, starts 1st kick every time. Front rim on my bike has been repaired (still not straight) but the rest of the bike seems ready to go. Everything I read before this purchase was that the early 2000 Gas Gas trials bikes were absolutely bulletproof. This bike has a slightly tougher (but heavier) motor than the Pro series, and if you're a beginner to intermediate trials rider (like myself) then this is a great learning trials bike. Mine was an easy decision, because I can turn around and sell the bike for $2500 tomorrow no problem... trials bikes are quite rare in SoCal. Do it!

Phaeton 09-04-2015 07:23 PM

We have a 2002 TXT 280 great bike

cbutler 09-05-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnmanseth (Post 157034)
I bought the exact same bike for the exact same price about 2 months ago. My bike is/was in good-to-excellent condition, starts 1st kick every time. Front rim on my bike has been repaired (still not straight) but the rest of the bike seems ready to go. Everything I read before this purchase was that the early 2000 Gas Gas trials bikes were absolutely bulletproof. This bike has a slightly tougher (but heavier) motor than the Pro series, and if you're a beginner to intermediate trials rider (like myself) then this is a great learning trials bike. Mine was an easy decision, because I can turn around and sell the bike for $2500 tomorrow no problem... trials bikes are quite rare in SoCal. Do it!

I agree mine is amazing $1500 is a good deal. The early Pro models had some miner issues so I would avoid them.

PS helpful hint #1 take the screws out of the rear finder and replace them with LOW QUALITY zip ties so it falls off when you crash.they cost $120 and up

farmerj 09-05-2015 10:32 AM

I have a 2001 TXT 321. I love the thing, use it more for trail riding than pure trials. I must say that I have not ridden other trials bikes - but understand that this era has a smoother power delivery than the next generation, which builds power more quickly for the newer trials techniques.

Couldn't suit me better, I love the gobs of torque and while a bit heavier, is also beefier as mntman said.

I'm with cbutler on the zip ties, right off I cracked the "seat," better to make the rear fender able to break-away.

Here is a link with lots of good info. if you choose to go with it.
http://www.gasgas.com/tech.htm

I'd listen closely to anything John Snoodley says (Trials Central,) he knows these bikes and his recommendations for set-up (reeds, suspension) have worked great for me!

Jeff

Stoby 09-07-2015 08:17 PM

got it

Paid $1400 for it Has 2000 plastics and engine badge but has 2001 serial #
It seems in decent shape, rear tire has plug , surges at idle ,needs fork seals steering stem has some play and rear brakes suck
otherwise seems solid no smoke or noises , suspension or wheel bearing issues seems a solid foundation doesn't seem beat. Now I have to figure out how to ride it........ Thanks for advice
Stoby

cbutler 09-08-2015 08:37 AM

Good deal you got. I use Mike at The Tryals Shop very helpful dude and good prices.

YouTube will help for the riding part. Get the basics down

Zman 10-01-2015 07:18 AM

I was looking for one of those GG trials bikes 2 years ago. I ran into a similar challenging finding a good trials bike for a reasonable price. I found www.searchtempest.com to be very useful. It allows you to do a larger area craigslist search in a perimeter around your zip code (or any other zip code).

The trialscentral.com forum is very helpful. Also check out http://trialstrainingcenter.com/ and

Eventually, we found a 2006 Sherco 2.9 (pretty good copy of the non-Pro GG trials bikes) and got it for $2200. While we liked that Sherco, 6 months later we found a cheap 2002 TXT 280 Pro that needed a little work. In a side by side comparison we preferred the GG Pro over the Sherco. We just sold the Sherco this summer.

FYI I hear that the non-pro GG are bulletproof like some of the older GG enduro bikes. The GG Pro is ~10lbs lighter than the Sherco and Non-Pro GG bikes. The Pro seems to handle better. The GG Pro trials bikes are designed very well and appear to have a higher attention to detail than the enduro bikes. To shave the 10 lbs they trimmed out a bunch of metal and that makes the Pro more fragile than the non-Pro version.

Good luck with your search.

GasGasDreamer 10-01-2015 05:46 PM

^^^+1
except that I prefer the Sherco over the gg, ive owned both.
make sure you have the 'slow' throttle tube, I think its the black one.

Dirt Dud 10-01-2015 06:30 PM

You are in a great trials comp area , last year we did 5 events in the New England area events . Go ride some events up there they are great events really great people I bought my last 2 Gassers from Jacks in maine Stu is the best with setting up trials bikes . You really should try to go to an event .