Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Injury & Recovery (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bad Knees? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=946)

Boomhauer 04-16-2007 08:51 PM

Bad Knees?

I am having very bad pain in my knees while riding and after riding. I know my knees have been bad for quite sometime now and was wondering if there is anything over the counter that would ease the pain.

GMP 04-17-2007 07:04 AM

Glucosemine/Chondroitin/Vitamin C. 2-3 a day with food. Depending on the person, improvement is felt in 2 - 3 weeks. Keeps me going and I wrecked a knee when I was 19, long before modern surgical techniques. When I got back into riding about 11 years ago, I would limp into work Monday morning. Now I run about 3 miles a day on a treadmill at lunch. Good Luck.

Boomhauer 04-17-2007 07:57 AM

Thanks Glenn.:cool: I will give it a try.

cladoo 04-18-2007 07:20 AM

I have been using glucosamine for years now for my joints. Also an Omega 3-6-9 capsule helps "lube" up the joints. Old age is creeping up on you Robby!
Claude

JoshP 04-18-2007 12:23 PM

I will third the glucosamine statement! I'm not an old man yet but skiing from the age of 2 really does a number on the old knees. I actually gave glucosamine to my dog when she got older and the improvement was unbelievable. Went from creeping onto the couch to full on running jump to the couch in just a couple weeks.

MattR 04-18-2007 06:12 PM

My knees are sensitive too while riding and found a taller seat helped a lot for me. Going from sitting to standing with a stock seat caused too much stress on my knees.

A good ointment that I use on sore knees, hands, feet, etc.. is called "Blue Emu". It comes in a round container and is blue in color. The emu oil helps the ointment soak in quickly and it provides good pain relief. It's odorless and doesn't get hot like other creams.

Here is more info on Blue Emu:
http://www.blue-emu.com/why_blueemu.html
According to their site:
It contains two key ingredients: Glucosamine and MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane)... two of the most widely used natural supplements for pain relief, inflammation and tissue repair. Emu oil is the transport mechanism that delivers these repair components directly to the source of your pain.

Boomhauer 04-18-2007 06:29 PM

Holy cow man!!!!!! This stuff was $24.99 a bottle:eek: . So I got it and the omega 3 and the vitamin C. This better work.

Claude don't go posting stuff like that on here or gasgasman might think he has an advantage over me.;) :D

Thanks again guys for the info. This site rocks!:cool:

KicksonR66 04-18-2007 07:21 PM

Omega 3 is great for a host of things, heart, skin, cholesterol........the list is long.

A good excercise for your knees: Stand with feet together or close to it, put the palms of your hands on your knees and with your knees slightly bent rotate your knees in a circular motion each direction. This promotes your bodies natural lubrication to the knees.

MattR 04-19-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 5342)
Holy cow man!!!!!! This stuff was $24.99 a bottle:eek: . So I got it and the omega 3 and the vitamin C. This better work.

You must have bought the industrial sized, body dip container... :D
I picked mine up from my local drug store (I think Walmart has it too) for about $15 for the 4oz. container/little tub. A little pricey but lasts a long time and works great for me. Just scoop up a gob of it and apply to any sore area.

Not recommended for monkey butt :D

GMP 04-19-2007 01:53 PM

I think he's refering to the Gluco/Chond caplets. I get the big jar of the double dose time release stuff in Walmart for around $30 and split it with my 13 yr old dog. My wife would never complain about spending $$ on the dog.