Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Turning radius (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19596)

adv rider 05-08-2015 12:51 AM

Turning radius

I have an issue that has bothered me since I bought my bike. It doesn't have a good turn radius, Riding single track w/ switchbacks is difficult. I have to take the far outside edge, and barely make it without going off the trail.
How much are you guys dropping the forks in the clamps? or what is your sag setting? I dealt with it, but after riding a new 300 xc-w- which turns amazing! I need to get it to turn like the pumpkin.

Admittedly , the gasser is more stabil at speed. But I mainly ride single track. The 11' 250 I had turned well, whats up with these? The forks hit the radiators, so I am not sure what else to do. Any advice appreciated.

12' xc300

hamilton 05-08-2015 06:36 AM

I feel your pain, you will never match the turn radius of the ktm.
I modified the steering stop bolts until the forks all but touch the frame.
The forks should clear the radiators unless your guards are in the way.

VxZeroKnots 05-08-2015 11:19 AM

I learned pivot turns. :D

adv rider 05-08-2015 04:51 PM

Turning

I modified the steering stop bolts until the forks all but touch the frame.
The forks should clear the radiators unless your guards are in the way.[/QUOTE]
I removed the washers on the stops, forks now hit guards. I am hoping I can pull them back a bit somehow. And maybe lower the forks another couple mm.

adv rider 05-08-2015 04:53 PM

turning

Quote:

Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots (Post 152338)
I learned pivot turns. :D

That would be good if I wasn't 5'5" and my feet are 6" from the ground.

swazi_matt 05-09-2015 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adv rider (Post 152345)
That would be good if I wasn't 5'5" and my feet are 6" from the ground.

No excuse, I've seen this guy called graham do them with his feet on the pegs ;-)

Jakobi 05-09-2015 03:47 AM

I'm short and ride tight singles all the time. Depending on the particular fork, I've dropped them through the triples with as much as 9mm above the top clamp.

At the moment I'm running some KYBs with reduced offset. I don't think it particularly helps as they also feel a bit heavier (take more effort to instigate a turn).

Apart from lowering the front, you could try raising the rear. 2012+ chasis responds well to approx. 98mm sag.

I simply set up for the corners. Use brakes or power or both to position the bike where you want. Rear brake sets the back end nicely. A good handful of front brake can make it dive a little to tighten up. Lean it over and slip the clutch and she'll scoot across. To be honest, I probably encounter more issues with the bar ends contacting tight trees (being wide across) than I do due to the bike not turning where I need it to.

adv rider 05-09-2015 07:24 PM

Turning

[QUOTE=Jakobi;152361]I'm short and ride tight singles all the time. Depending on the particular fork, I've dropped them through the triples with as much as 9mm above the top clamp.

At the moment I'm running some KYBs with reduced offset. I don't think it particularly helps as they also feel a bit heavier (take more effort to instigate a turn).

Apart from lowering the front, you could try raising the rear. 2012+ chasis responds well to approx. 98mm sag.

I ride tight singles mainly, the only time I think about the turning is on 180d turns. I am going to tighten up the sag, and see how it feels. The bike is fine everywhere else, but I would really like it to turn tighter also.

Jakobi 05-10-2015 02:09 AM

You may find pulling a link from the chain and moving the axle forward in the blocks helps as well.

adv rider 05-13-2015 08:12 PM

turning

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 152400)
You may find pulling a link from the chain and moving the axle forward in the blocks helps as well.

I also noticed that my chain/sprockets were needing replacement, and that the wheel was adjusted way back. So I now have new chain/sprockets,and will set it up forward in the swingarm. Wont be riding until next week, to find out how it turns.