Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   "Wanted to Buy" & "Want To Trade" (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Knobby knife (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15276)

swazi_matt 06-22-2013 02:31 AM

Knobby knife

Anyone got a knobby knife taking up space in their workshop? Keen to try it out but not keen on the premium price :-)

Have a wife, two children and a weakening currency that is really eating into my fun factor budget! (On the off chance my wife reads this I will not go into specifics)

Elvis74 06-22-2013 09:57 AM

I use a chisel and Heat it up with a Flame, Wirkens pretty good.

rgranger 06-22-2013 03:41 PM

I have used mine a few times, works ok. Not sure that it is heating up as well as it did before. I would think that you may be able to add 50% to the life of a tire. if you go though a lot that adds up fast.

GMP 06-22-2013 07:58 PM

The trick is not to take too big a bite, if you do, it's harder to cut and seems like its not hot enough. Don't try to remove the entire radius of the dull edge, just take a very thin sliver. Also carefully note the angle of the knob and follow this when cutting, don't plunge it straight down. Done this way it works well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

swazi_matt 06-24-2013 02:28 AM

But none of you looking to free up space in your workshop? Ps shipping would be to Michigan

Elvis the electric knobby knife seems to be a lot of effort, I think I would rather have my kids go barefoot before I use your method :). At the moment, when the knobs get short I just put a cut across the centre of the knobs with a carpet knife just to add flex to the knobs

nknudsen 06-24-2013 10:38 AM

Is the purpose of this to remove the rounded front edge of the knob? Do you cut the front face off the knob to sharpen the knob?

GMP 06-24-2013 12:17 PM

Yes, exactly

nknudsen 06-24-2013 04:01 PM

If your in a bind, what about a hand held grinder with a course sanding disc? It'll be messy but will work. I finished the edges of two snow flaps I cut out for my Ski-Doo Alpine project this way. The edges turned out real nice.

GMP 06-25-2013 08:46 AM

I've done that in an emergency when I could not get a new tire for my son's bike. What a smokey mess! Didn't even realize how bad it was because I was focused on the job but it really stunk up the house and pissed off my wife! Not that accurate either. Better using a blade for a wood plane or something like that in a pair of vise grips and a MAPP torch. I've also used a hacksaw with the blade ground like a knife (no teeth). That worked fairly well but taks a lot more muscle.

swazi_matt 06-25-2013 12:43 PM

Well it looks like my kids are going barefoot, but thanks for the suggestions, I may use one of the methods listed to cut the toes off their shoes when their feet get too long! :)