Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2019 Gas Gas updates (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23584)

swazi_matt 05-22-2018 01:24 AM

2019 Gas Gas updates

so with other brands (predictably) already releasing their 2019 models, is there anything that the 2019 can improve on - other than releasing the bikes with the mods the 18s have been called back for (starter and mapping as far as i know)

From all the reviews i have read there is very little to change based on rider feedback. Personnally i hope they do make enough changes to get the leftover 18s to drop their prices and to have the option of getting some of the 18s onto the second hand market so i can get one

AZRickD 05-22-2018 09:45 AM

Diecast motor which can lead to weight reduction.
Any other places for weight reduction? Swing arm?

Starter update?

Maybe some vibration reduction (already low), without going to a counter- balancer.

I have heard near zero complaints about the 2018.

memphis2857 05-22-2018 06:06 PM

BNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZRickD 05-22-2018 06:37 PM

Gas Gas cannot afford to skip a year by offering only ?Bold New Graphics.?

None of the manufacturers can, lest they turn into another Suzuki.

memphis2857 05-22-2018 06:51 PM

There will be no major changes. They will fix the few minor issues and send it out the door. None of the manufacturers make any real changes every year. Most manufacturers will go 4 years before they release a new bike. Well except for Suzuki and Yamaha.

AZRickD 05-22-2018 07:47 PM

That sounds authoritative. What?s your source for this?

gasgasman 05-22-2018 08:19 PM

"Bold New Graphics"

AZRickD 05-22-2018 11:21 PM

That would be a momentum-stealing blunder.

thumperrider1 05-23-2018 03:39 AM

Money would be better spent. Just slap new graphics and spend the money fielding some demo bikes in the US and do some demo days like Yamaha does with Raines. Get people to ride the bikes. They will sell themselves. The dealer network is growing quick.

poelinca 05-23-2018 06:47 AM

Didn't Rod do demo rides in the US to show case the 2018 model ? That's what I remember anyways, they even did a couple of demo rides around here too (in Romania you can even rent these at major enduro events, one bike got stolen tough).

My wish for '19 is for Lars Enoeckl on the podium for one of these red bull events on a GG!

CDN Rick 05-23-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRickD (Post 183361)
Diecast motor which can lead to weight reduction.
Any other places for weight reduction? Swing arm?

Starter update?

Maybe some vibration reduction (already low), without going to a counter- balancer.

I have heard near zero complaints about the 2018.

Why would you not like a counter-balancer?

(F5) 05-23-2018 02:02 PM

Added weight size complexity and cost hardly worth it when these things rev so slowly. Unless they had a vibration problem. I've certainly never noticed one.

CDN Rick 05-23-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 183386)
Added weight size complexity and cost hardly worth it when these things rev so slowly. Unless they had a vibration problem. I've certainly never noticed one.

I can't say I have any complaints with mine. But I rode an '18 Husky T250i the other day and that thing is WOW Smooth!! I still liked my '18 EGP250 better than the Husky. But I'd gladly pay for a counterbalancer if GG came out with one.

nknudsen 05-23-2018 03:47 PM

Was there any issues with the counter balanced GG bikes from the late 90's? My buddy has a low mile 1999 that is very smooth. I'd be for it again.

gasgasman 05-23-2018 05:01 PM

Funny how we demand counter balancers and e-start. :eek:

AZRickD 05-23-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Why would you not like a counter-balancer?
Dang it !!

Right after I originally posted that, I went back to edit with ?without necessarily? going to a counter balancer. I guess it didn?t take.

I did the 2018 KTM demo this winter in Phoenix and found the balanced KTMs to be nice but nothing to get overly excited about. Just a tingle on the foot pegs and no vibes on the grips (or visa versa, I can?t remember).

Absent market research that says potential GG buyers [edit] *desperately* want a counter-balancer, I would prioritize development resources elsewhere, as noted.

CDN Rick 05-23-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRickD (Post 183394)
Dang it !!

Right after I originally posted that, I went back to edit with ?without necessarily? going to a counter balancer. I guess it didn?t take.

I did the 2018 KTM demo this winter in Phoenix and found the balanced KTMs to be nice but nothing to get overly excited about. Just a tingle on the foot pegs and no vibes on the grips (or visa versa, I can?t remember).

Absent market research that says potential GG buyers [edit] *desperately* want a counter-balancer, I would prioritize development resources elsewhere, as noted.

Interesting.. I respect your opinion. But I've talked to a few guys who aren't thrilled with the idea of buying a bike without a balancer when there are options with it. If Beta pulls the trigger next year and adds one GG will be forced to follow to keep up or risk looking like they aren't in touch with the market. Like it or not, we all know mass market dictates product development more than what may actually be needed.

AZRickD 05-23-2018 11:47 PM

How dare you, Sir.

How dare you.

Gibnut 05-24-2018 02:44 AM

I?m nearly 50 & don?t notice any vibes on my ?18 EC250 Six Days - too busy loving the suspension & motor!

2019 Wishlist

- re-wire the starter with thicker gauge as stock & put the starter button on the rhs
- delete the auto-retract stand.
- offer squish-corrected heads from the Factory, based on fuel octane. Mine has been a little trying to jet. 2.06mm & spooge-city on Motul 710 @ 2% in 98RON. On the good Aussie stuff now, Penrite MC-2T Full Synthetic & she?s running great.
- Fit a stock diameter handlebar - fitting off the shelf full wrap handguards with a bar plug (Barkbusters, etc) requires drilling out the id of the ?bar (EC only).

fred99999au 05-24-2018 05:31 PM

Common mods for the 2018 models vid which includes the sidestand mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td_DTUZIH_I

Moto7man 05-24-2018 07:05 PM

The 2018 is a very nice package already, maybe some refinements. I like the GP extras and I like sand cast cases. Just my 2 cents.😀

CDN Rick 05-24-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRickD (Post 183403)
How dare you, Sir.

How dare you.

O I'm all kinds of daring!!
One time I even rode a dirtbike!!!

Honestly though GG needs to keep updating to attract repeat new buyers. They know that just like everyone else does. And like it or not the hottest item on most riders lists right now is a counter balancer. Then FI. Unless they got some other cool trick up their sleeve that we don't know about.

SS109 05-25-2018 01:44 AM

Just from this dirt bikers perspective, counter balancers mean nothing to me. I've ridden forever without them and don't see the need.

FI would be nice but currently it's not all that it's cracked up to be on a 2T. Watched my buddy this past weekend with his new KTM 250 with the FI having a hard time getting it started after it had already been run. He looked rather perplexed over it and we gave him a bit of ribbing over it. My old carb bikes normally start 2nd kick cold and 1st time rest of the day. Also don't like on the KTM version that if you drop the bike you have to actually stop and inspect that there are no air bubbles in the 2T oil feed line or you could hurt the engine. That really sounds like a PITA to have to do during a race. Hopefully it gets better.

The only things I think need improving is to keep trying to reduce weight, as long as it doesn't sacrifice reliability, ditch the stinking auto-retracting function of the kickstand for the US market, and fix the weak clutch cover and/or redesign the rear brake lever so we don't see the failure of the cover any more. Of course, this is all assuming they have already done all the ECU, starter wire, and battery upgrades.

robicon 05-25-2018 08:45 AM

I would only be happy if they said it was totally redesigned new frame, engine, suspension, and more fluff.

AZRickD 05-25-2018 10:00 AM

There is a lot of testimonial in this thread for the intrepid Spanish Marketing team to further investigate.

?Simple? fixes to simple problems. Less weight but don?t sacrifice durability. A few minor tweaks here and there.

As for FI, all of my riding friends have FI 4T KTM, Betas, etc. But even a few of them have a ?Baja Bike.? A six to ten year-old carbed 4-stroke that has less things to fail in a week of remote riding in Baja Mexico.

They *do* appreciate EFI in Colorado elevations, though. ;)

Cactus_Flat 05-25-2018 11:48 AM

Maybe a bit less weight and redesigned e start like the other brands. If the current e start proves to be pretty reliable long term, that's less of a concern.

Counterbalancers and EFI 2Ts are far from necessary, certainly nice, but I'd love a cheaper lighter bike without those things, personally.

I like that the "boutique" brands offer something different than KTM in a competitive package. People will ask gasgas and sherco and beta to have all things that KTM has and then scoff when the price goes up. I appreciate the differentiation and hope that there are enough similarly minded riders to keep us from having 4 brands making the same bike with different plastics.

Nocams 05-25-2018 08:50 PM

counterbalancers? Pfffffffft!

Parts omitted rarely give problems.....:D

CDN Rick 05-25-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cactus_Flat (Post 183438)
Maybe a bit less weight and redesigned e start like the other brands. If the current e start proves to be pretty reliable long term, that's less of a concern.

Counterbalancers and EFI 2Ts are far from necessary, certainly nice, but I'd love a cheaper lighter bike without those things, personally.

I like that the "boutique" brands offer something different than KTM in a competitive package. People will ask gasgas and sherco and beta to have all things that KTM has and then scoff when the price goes up. I appreciate the differentiation and hope that there are enough similarly minded riders to keep us from having 4 brands making the same bike with different plastics.

concerning the E-starts on the '18's... I have a measly 350km on mine. But it has not missed a beat even once yet. (other than a time that a connection I had not put back together properly came apart. But that's my fault.)
I'll keep posting back if it develops any issues. But right now its a half second press of the button and it's running every time.

chunkysoup 05-26-2018 01:01 AM

why the hate on the kick stand on the 18's??? Im starting to think Im the only person who likes the auto retracting function of it haha

fred99999au 05-26-2018 07:23 AM

My e-start is rubbish cold and mediocre at best when warm. 2018 GP300 but only has a couple of hundred kilometres on it.

May be better when it loosens up a little.

Enduroger 05-26-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkysoup (Post 183456)
why the hate on the kick stand on the 18's??? Im starting to think Im the only person who likes the auto retracting function of it haha

I don't have any problem with it either. I think its good actually. Have seen some people on other bikes driving away with the kickstand down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred99999au (Post 183460)
My e-start is rubbish cold and mediocre at best when warm. 2018 GP300 but only has a couple of hundred kilometres on it.

Have you got the cable and battery upgrade?

memphis2857 05-26-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred99999au (Post 183460)

Get with your dealer and get the larger battery cables. It will work fine after that.

memphis2857 05-26-2018 10:28 AM

The auto-retract kick stand won’t be going away any time soon. It is actually some kind of retarded euro regulation. It is fixed easily with a few cheap KTM parts

fred99999au 05-26-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Get with your dealer and get the larger battery cables. It will work fine after that.
I have run a new earth to the bolt that holds the starter on but that made no difference. Battery is still the stock Lithuim unit. Should I be running larger +ve cables to the start relay and motor?

No idea if the ECU has been remapped though. How would I tell?

This bike was the first GP300 that the dealer had pre-delivered and they were unsure of the jetting and didnt fit the 48 tooth sprocket and new chain.

memphis2857 05-26-2018 05:45 PM

They sent me a new much larger positive battery cable to go from the battery to the relay and it instantly solved any starting issues I had. It probably hasn’t been remapped if it is more than 2 months old

fred99999au 05-26-2018 06:14 PM

Ok, will have a look today when I put the P-Tech pipe guard on.

Where is the start relay located?

AZRickD 05-26-2018 07:23 PM

My dealer installed new positive cables on all their bikes.

He also said that the ECU re-mapping helped with cold starting (IIRC).

fred99999au 05-27-2018 01:05 AM

Found the start relay, and the wire gauge is a bit light. Made a new one out of 8 gauge battery wire and it seems better.

http://itdoneright.com.au/img/WireGauge.jpg
http://itdoneright.com.au/img/NewLead.jpg

SS109 05-27-2018 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphis2857 (Post 183464)
The auto-retract... It is fixed easily with a few cheap KTM parts

Fixed my old one with part of an old chain master link. It was free! :D

As to why I don't like the auto-retract function is that if you are working on the bike and unload it for just a moment the bike can tumble over. Also seen it happen when a buddy walking by my bike and bumped it. Yeah, don't like it.

Motocrotts 05-27-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkysoup (Post 183456)

I like mine too.