Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Linkage washers-do they really matter? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14441)

husley 03-08-2013 06:27 PM

Linkage washers-do they really matter?

Cleaned and greased the linkage and swing arm, put it all back together and I have two of the large and flat washers left over.

Do they really matter? I wanna go sneak in one ride and don't have time to take it all apart and put together before the ride.

I'm guessing i can ride it once without two washers?

Thanks

J

Jakobi 03-08-2013 06:35 PM

It doesn't take long to slip them back in. Especially if they're off the dog bones. The ones on the swingarm might take a touch longer. Seriously like 15mins work.

In saying that it looks to me like the washers only shield the seal itself from the elements. They aren't load bearing so you could probably get away without having them there for a ride if you're going to pull it and clean the grot away from the seal later anyway.

twowheels 03-08-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husley (Post 106121)
Cleaned and greased the linkage and swing arm, put it all back together and I have two of the large and flat washers left over.

Do they really matter? I wanna go sneak in one ride and don't have time to take it all apart and put together before the ride.

I'm guessing i can ride it once without two washers?

Thanks

J

You can, but you'll likely need to replace the o-rings and regrease the bearings again when the ride is over.

STEVEV 03-08-2013 06:41 PM

pay attention to the thickness'. They are different. I think the thinner ones go on the swingarm by the clevis. Can't remember for sure but you'll know if they're wrong...the clevis won't move. Otherwise, I feel the washers are there to also protect the aluminum.

husley 03-08-2013 07:15 PM

Great

Thanks, you nswered my questions:

I was not sure if a set went on the swingarm mount, sounds like a set do go around the swingarm axle- this would be where I am forgot to replace them. I consider this good news as I can pull the axle and get the two washers in there pretty easily.

Different thickness? Was unaware-very good info.

Thanks to all!

Jakobi 03-08-2013 07:35 PM

I don't know if they are a different thickness or not. I do know I have managed to 'pinch' the edge of one against the swingarm mount which resulted in the pivot binding and not moving freely. I generally use a dab of grease to hold the spacers in their recess and the fit the axles and bolts while double checking the washers are still where they need to be.

Jakobi 03-08-2013 07:44 PM

Just checked the fiche.
SETTING WASHER 22.4X36X0.7 Part T4022036 x 6

2 for the shackle that bolts to the frame (rocker arm supports to rocker arm)
2 for the front dogbone/connecting rod (rocker arm to dogbone)
2 for the back dogbone/connecting rod (dogbone to swingarm)

There are 2 smaller washers that are used for the rocker arm to lower shock mount. These are SETTING WASHER 21X10.2X1

husley 03-08-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 106139)
Just checked the fiche.
SETTING WASHER 22.4X36X0.7 Part T4022036 x 6

2 for the shackle that bolts to the frame (rocker arm supports to rocker arm)
2 for the front dogbone/connecting rod (rocker arm to dogbone)
2 for the back dogbone/connecting rod (dogbone to swingarm)

There are 2 smaller washers that are used for the rocker arm to lower shock mount. These are SETTING WASHER 21X10.2X1

Ok, I put washers on either end of the dog bones, the two i missed belong to the swingarm.....I'm guessing the washers go on the inside of the swingarm? In between the swingarm and the engine case....

Jakobi 03-08-2013 09:23 PM

Download the exploded view from www.gasgasmotos.es and have a look.

There are 3 points that washers are required. 2 of which are on the L shaped rocker. The front pivot slides between 2 brackets. This is where the washers are required. The upper hole in the bracket is where the swingarm axle goes through. The lower hole mounts to the frame. The middle hole needs the washer on the inside edge.

Then the dogbone connects to the back pivot, and the shock mount to the top of the L rocker.

Make sense?

gasgasman 03-08-2013 09:52 PM

The washers are retainers for the o-ring seals.