Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Who has a surplus AS2? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23556)

(F5) 05-11-2018 03:49 PM

Who has a surplus AS2?

My AS1 on my 07 300 has some wear. Replaced the centre turret with one from a KX. Have jetting pretty good but think needle jet hole might be slightly bigger.
Could go down a range of fatter needle experiments.

Or if one of youse alternative carb chaps has a newer AS2 I'd like to try that. You could clear some space for something that you are only really going to give away when you sell the bike, but instead could command a fist full of beer funds.

Moto7man 05-11-2018 07:20 PM

You can buy a new PWK AS II on Amazon for about $200.00 USD. I bought one my 94 CR last year and I am going to buy one for my 84 RM restore too.

(F5) 05-11-2018 10:03 PM

That's strange I've only ever seen the AS1 with black screw cap on Amazon or EvilBay.
2 hundy for a new one sounds pretty good.

Although Amazon freight to NZ and our weak dollar does make that a stretch for me (ahh the days before kids!)

Moto7man 05-13-2018 03:14 PM

Here is what mine looks like on the 94 CR.

https://i.imgur.com/zMxBoRdm.jpg

Here is the original box with the part number on the front. Just google the part number.

https://i.imgur.com/KMILiKfm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xBChTQCm.jpg

These are the numbers for the original brass. I replaced everything using the FMF jetting specs. However, I did have to go down one size on the FMF recommended pilot jet. Otherwise, it was easy to setup and it performs great.

https://i.imgur.com/wIxI1BHm.jpg

(F5) 05-13-2018 08:16 PM

Ah Yeah that's what I understand as the AS1 which is what I have. Can't read part number label on phone atm.
I'd bought a couple for my 500 twin some while back. Prices varied wildly even before the appearance of Chinese copies.

The AS2 of later models (like 2010ish and beyond) have a flat lid held on with 2 screws.
They seem to be a hybrid of the PWK and PWM models. Really not sure there is that much info available from doing a search.

I assume there are other changes internally but people run different jetting so there could be a difference further than port and pipe difference as the 2010 is close to the older bikes but they changed the barrel and still like the same needles.

poelinca 05-14-2018 12:18 AM

Is this what you are looking for ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keihin-38mm....c100005.m1851

p.s. I am not affiliated with the seller, the price is listed in AUD so I suppose shipping to NZ should be ok

(F5) 05-14-2018 02:20 AM

I'll be having that.

Thank you very much my friend. I hadn't seen that and been looking over last week.

Bit of a risk. 2017 Carb part number is different to 2010 . Hope it fits.

Some fun facts,

Cylinder is same on my 2007 300 as 2010, 2012 etc.

2015 cylinder is same as 2017.
2015 carb same as 2017.

Moto7man 05-14-2018 03:42 PM

Part number 016-167
Model 38PWK QAS

(F5) 05-14-2018 08:42 PM

For giggles I'll report back if the 17 carb fits without grief.

(F5) 05-21-2018 04:15 AM

Ok well carb arrived and it looks clean and in great condition. Well except the cable has been charged through the plastic which I thought odd for a 2017. No matter. Back home calipers to the ready. Yup, inlet and airbed boot measure the same. . . .

Except the length is 16mm shorter 75 vs 91mm.

Bugger. Well it was a risk.

So in an ideal world I'd order up a longer airbox boot and be done. In a less ideal but still workable scenario I'd find a longer inlet rubber. That would lose the advantages of a shorter carb but I'd be no worse off than std really.

I'll go looking for one but I'd not hold out my chances.

The part number for the inlet rubber changes. Mine is about 34mm long.
How long are later ones? 50mm?

The next question. Perhaps the 2015,16,17 ones are shorter than the first AS2s hence different part number.

So if you have an earlier AS2 can you rough measure ? The AS1 has like space between the throttle slide tunnel and the airboot (or inlet) where you can squeeze your finger. The 17 carb is about only 6mm.

I have one other higher risk idea.

poelinca 05-21-2018 07:42 AM

My inlet rubber is roughly 33mm long (eyeballed it as i can't fit the calipers in without taking the carb or the tank off).

I don't quite understand where should a take the second measurement, can you post a pick ?

(F5) 05-21-2018 01:59 PM

That pretty much answers it thanks. The new frame will just have everything mounted closer and/or has new airbox anyway.

I've had a sleep and decided to go for my higher risk most benefit option. Welding extension on airbox side. This is away from venturi so will just look like a longer airbox inlet to the carb in the slow airflow area.
Risk is overheating carb, melting rubber seals and deforming slide area.

So I'll talk with my tool maker/welder/ all round clever guy, to lessen this. Only have to make it strong enough not to crack. Sealing can be done with epoxy devcon. About 8 tacks should be enough on outside. Just going to vet out of bed to look at a sacrificial KX carb to use for the mounting area.

(F5) 05-21-2018 02:17 PM

Hmm, sacrificial carb mount isn't long enough to saw off. Will see if weldy guy has stock big enough to turn something off, I don't. Also if he is game to weld carb metal.

(F5) 05-21-2018 08:15 PM

Ha. Love this guy. Always has a better plan.
He's just going to take a lick off carb so it's uniform. Then make up a stepped extension size for size and Loctite retaining it on. Won't leak won't move.

(F5) 05-24-2018 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here it is ready to press on once I've carved some grooves to match internal air feeds.

poelinca 05-24-2018 11:14 PM

Nice job!

The weekend is near, let us know how it runs.

(F5) 05-25-2018 02:39 AM

Cheers yes hes done a great job. If the kids go to sleep ok (wife is away on girls weekend) I'll try sort it and heat/slide it on, maybe even fit to the bike.

He's licked the end of the carb to remove the lip and make it actually round so could then size extension to suit. I have a lathe but can't do this level of work. Well he also had ally tube the right size.

Will only be driveway tuning on Sunday. Next ride is week after.

Have NEDJ needle already fitted to slide.

(F5) 05-25-2018 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well that was a tight fit but some Loctite 601 some heat the vice and blocks of wood. It ain't ever coming off or leaking.

Compared with KX carb which is largely the same as my AS1 GG.

(F5) 05-25-2018 03:29 AM

Both exactly the same length and air box mount size.

Now to set float levels. But I hear kids upstairs that need getting back to bed.

Ok again.
Well float height was super low fuel level. Adjusted to 7mm with cardboard template.
Roughly in there. Needs more wiggling and maybe heat to get airboot 100% on. My motionpro cable fits and doesn't leak when on sidestand unless pulled over with rear off ground.

Not so keen that float drain plug bears on the cases. Might tickle a corner off it, have a spare it it goes through.

Rest can wait till later, going to bed.

motopsycho87 05-25-2018 01:49 PM

I did that many years ago to make a pwm 39 fit a kdx200 :D. Threaded the carb and adaptor, I'll see if I can find the images on the kdxrider forum

motopsycho87 05-25-2018 01:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Turns out it was 2011! Christ I'm getting old!

That forum severely limited image sizes so this is all I can get :(.

I find it funny, everyone was such a purist over there they all wanted me to fail!

(F5) 05-25-2018 03:07 PM

That was the first forum I ever joined.
I haven't been there since about 2006.

I'll go for - getting younger? No?

(F5) 05-25-2018 11:05 PM

Stole a few minutes risking havoc that might occur upstairs with daughter out of my sight and her various experiments.

Filed the drain plug corner off. Just resting on the case. If I could prop the airbox up a little there would be a few mm. Tomorrow's job. But couldn't help starting it. 2nd kick, warmed it 1/2 way and it idles and revs clean.

Short test tomorrow. Heck may try sneak off somewhere once I've ditched the kids to grans. But the road bike might be calling if this nice but fresh prewinter weather continues.

Getting there.

(F5) 05-26-2018 09:27 PM

Ok my airbox mounting to the rear subframe was flogged out. I drilled and fitted rivnuts and with penny washers and m5 screws the back mounts are solid again. This pretty much had the carb just touching on the filed drain plug.

I had some 8mm cable ties that I supported the rubber airbox to boot connection lightly up. Not factory:o but enough for a 3mm clearance. Revving doesn't seem to cause contact. I think that's done.

A warm up and at least 1/2 dos runs up my steep driveway to ensure operating temp and it's not quite right at 1/2-3/4 throttle.

Drop the needle to top from 2nd to top groove. That's cleaned it up. Trials feet up turns at bottom of driveway show part throttle good.

Well good enough to take to a trail, hopefully next week.

The pouring rain has stopped (My big mouth last post) and it's cleared up nicely. Time for a short roadride maybe.

(F5) 06-03-2018 12:56 AM

Muddy ride today . But sheesh it's never been so responsive. Awesome
And then it stalled. Odd. Felt like it was dragging. Then was OK. Then stalled and sounded bad. Thought it was like the flywheel had come undone and was dragging.

But no. Got a ride back tied to a side by side. The shame. 20 years first time I've never made it back.

Pull down time maybe tomorrow thanks to the queen and her birthday here.

Crank's never been done could be that.

(F5) 06-04-2018 01:45 AM

Ok well hasn't nipped up on bore or stator or water pump or clutch. Might start a separate thread.

(F5) 08-26-2018 12:24 AM

Thought I'd complete this. Crank done, just a coincidence after 11 years.

Bike is running sweet, just wheelies up rocky trails if you want to. So much better than the old carb/ needle combo.