Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What springs should I use? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4325)

2 strokes 4 life 03-19-2009 02:08 PM

What springs should I use?

I have a 2002 EC250 with the 43mm WP front forks and Ohlinis rear shock.

I can not afford to have my suspesion re-valved this season so I will at least change the oil and add some new springs.

What spring rates should I use for hare scrambles and MX use? I weigh 267lbs and am fairly aggresive.

The springs right now are stock. I just need it stiffer for the track because I bottom out on everything.

THANKS!!!

SpeedyManiac 03-19-2009 04:01 PM

Any idea what's in there right now?

I run .45 fork springs and a 5.6 shock spring for very aggressive woods riding. I'm 175lbs and it's actually a little stiff for the tight stuff as this was setup for the ISDE in Chile which was a lot of sand whoops.

iancp5 03-20-2009 05:41 AM

Hi,

I'm 250 lbs and I'm running 0.45 upfront and 5.7 rear. I did have 0.48 upfront for a while but it was too hard for me. I don't ride aggressive and tend to avoid crashing into things with the front so lightly sprung is better for me on the forks as it'll soak up the little hits in the wet woods better. It also allows it to depress more under braking into a turn which helps the turn. When you say you're aggressive I'm not sure how much that matters unless you mean big jumps. Some of the faster riders actually load the suspension less because their better technique lets them place the bike correctly. I think most of the time when I bottom out it is because of a mistake. One thing is certain, standard is way too light for your weight.

You could probably go to 0.5 and 5.8 for MX at your weight. But the valving must be way out for MX? They are enduro bikes. Not sure what your hare scrambles are like.

2 strokes 4 life 03-20-2009 10:52 AM

Well its fine for MX because I used to race my 1979 IT175 in the 200 under class so this new bike suspesion is amazing to say the least.

I am not sure what is in there right now but the back spring is yellow if that means anything.

I think any bit stiff will help so I will try out some .48 and a 5.6 in the rear.

Thanks for all the help.

reiterrider 03-20-2009 12:59 PM

I just had my front forks redone and I weigh 195 plus gear, my 2003 EC250 came with the WP's up front and .40 springs which were way too soft.
We went with a set of .42 and now they are perfect.
My rear spring is a stock yellow spring also and seems to fit me quite well.

I used Chad at Pro Race Suspension, he's very family with the old school WP forks.
http://www.proracesuspension.net

joey11 03-20-2009 01:32 PM

All the Ohlins springs that I have seen have the weight painted on them somewhere. They are also all Yellow

jostby 03-20-2009 01:34 PM

2S4L, does your rear spring have any identifiable markings on it? If so it will help id the current spring rate. My '00 has WP front also, it came with .42's. The rear was a 5.1 stock. I am in the 275lb range (nekkid) and had LTR revalve my suspension. I went with 5.7 rear and .46's front. It worked much better after having the revalving done (I used the new springs for a year before sending them out). But, I rarely race and wish I had gone one step lighter front and rear though they work great when I'm doing single track through the woods hitting roots and rock ledges (chasing my faster friends). Whoops also work out much better, not near as tiring. Good luck.

2 strokes 4 life 03-20-2009 03:33 PM

This is the number on the spring #564-10/52 L2?4

I can not make out the number after L2 but if I had to guess it would be 8.

That might help out a bit.

I am told by a dealer that the bike came with .40 or .42 depending wether or not it is a EC or XC.

So I think a 5.7 rear and .48 sounds alright, what do you think?

THANKS!!!

jostby 03-20-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

This is the number on the spring #564-10/52 L2?4
The 52 translates to 5.2 for your rear spring. Yeah, you might like the combination you are thinking of if your riding style is that aggresive. Like I said, for more recreational use I wish I had gone lighter. I would encourage you to have it revalved at the same time though because the valving will not feel right after you reset your sag. You can't properly adjust the damping and rebound with the heavier springs vs. weight.

2 strokes 4 life 03-21-2009 08:33 AM

I would go for a re-valve for sure if I could afford it. I will try the springs for this year and get a re-valve for sure next year.