Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Product Reviews (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   LS2 MX470 Subverter helmet (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24598)

pscook 07-30-2019 07:26 AM

LS2 helmets are more of a long oval, which may appear to be "tighter" to those with round heads. I have struggled with my oval head to find a decent fitting helmet, and I can say that the LS2 brand fits better than my HJC or Scorpion helmets. I can't remember off hand the model that I have, but I really like the oval shape which reduces pressure on my forehead.

gasgasman 08-25-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 191029)
Motorcyclecloseouts.com had them for $129.

Now $98. Limited sizes. :eek:

https://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/...e+blowout+sale

SS109 08-26-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 191697)

They were already a steal at the closeout price of $120. $98 is just ridiculous. This is cheapest you will probably ever find one to try it out!

Beastie Boy 11-29-2020 05:39 AM

Will revive this thread to hopefully help others.

Got the MX 470 Subverter size XS on sale for $200 on sale down from $300.
Bought it on line so could only try the fit once it arrived. Dealers are sparse in Australia so had to take a punt.
It is the ECE version , lighter than the Snell version sold in some markets

Initial feelings :

- Finish is ok
- Helment is light
- Fit is a bit strange . Very tight on the cheeks , loose elesewhere
- No filter on the mouth area vents
- Minimal soft padding compare to other helmets
- Not sure what the inflatable ring is for?
- Did not fit the optional "chrome" inserts ..not sure who these were designed to appeal to?

After 6 months use feelings are:

- Fit is still 'different', very tight on the cheeks, but it's starting to bed in and can't say it is uncomfortable and does not move around.
- Taken one tumble where the side of the helmet hit the ground. A fair bit of the impact was transferred. No injury but it was noticeable compared to other helments with more padding.
- Wash the liner after every ride and it still looks ok and it holding up
- The exterior finish is holding up too
- The venting (which is the main reason i bought the helmet) does make a difference - it works!

In summary
- I would not call this a premium helment but at $200 its good value
- If you ride in hot / humid condtions this helmet is definitely worth looking at. The venting makes a difference to rider fatigue!
- Make sure you find one to try on before buying as the fit is "different"

gasgasman 11-29-2020 11:23 AM

Great review!

The inflatable ring is for setting the helmet on during storage.

Beastie Boy 12-30-2020 08:19 PM

Just to add to my review

I take the visor off after each ride / weekend to wipe mud off helmet / visor

The second time I did this the right hand screw would start but only go in a few threads. Seemed the brass (?) insert in the helmet was partly stripped / cross threaded.

How a metal insert could have been stripped by a misaligned plastic screw beats me!

Anyway, I packed it out with some plastic washers and tightned as far as I could. Wasn't pretty but worked ok.

Last ride of the season I took a tumble doing a gnarly climb on some rocky terrain. Banged my head 2 - 3 times rolling downhill. No impact passed on but decided it was best to "retire" the helmet.

Have ordered another MX 470. Only downer was the discount price i got the first one for was no longer available - cost another $80 ! :mad:

Still not my favourite helmet but at $250 cheaper than the next well vented alternative (Leat 5.5) it was an easy choice

SS109 12-30-2020 11:28 PM

Thanks for adding your experience and impressions on it.

Still loving mine. I do have to agree the fit is definitely different but nothing that bothers me. As for feeling small impacts more, yeah, I can see it as it has less comfort padding compared to some helmets. However, what matters is what happens when you have a real impact, does it do the job or not? I hope I never have to find out but, if I do, I will post up about it providing I'm still around to do so!