Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Electrical & Wiring (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2011 headlight bulb (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10394)

skid jackson 08-23-2011 05:18 PM

2011 headlight bulb

it did not take long for me to find my head light bulb in many little pieces inside the headlight. I don't suppose there is an led that could fit inside the existing headlight?? What are you guys running for replacement bulbs? I;m guessing it is a install a new one for passing inspection and forget about it till next year kind of thing??

gasgasman 08-23-2011 06:59 PM

Mine blew after the 4th ride.
I plan on putting a HID bulb in there next. The OEM bulb is a 35w H4 bulb.

gasgasman 09-11-2011 02:18 PM

I'm running a 55w 9003/H4 bulb. No issues with heat or vibration.

swazi_matt 09-12-2011 02:32 AM

out of curiosity are the lights run on AC or DC?

GasTimppa 09-12-2011 08:59 AM

Well the right type of halogen bulp is HS1 35w/35w. Fitting is a bit different than H4, but H4 goes too...

gasgasman 10-15-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 69957)

Since my post, the reflector inside of the headlamp has tarnished. It turned black.
There are no signs of excessive heat. I don't know if the 55 watt bulb is borderline on the heat output.

I would stay with the 35W oem bulb.

rgranger 10-16-2011 05:35 PM

i am pretty sure this is what I put on my husky, i swear it had the same dim bulb behind the bars as the GasGas does....hey wait a second!
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-60...Baja+D+(04-red)

skid jackson 10-16-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 69957)

thats all I could find locally ... it worked fine ... but popped after 3 rides just like the oem .... maybe there are more rocks and roots in my neck of the woods??

Cruiser 10-16-2011 08:58 PM

is the stocker like the stocker used in the ktm headlights 06 newer? if so EE has a small halogen hi/low that plugs in that has a smaller globe. They say they last longer as less weight/thicker glass and its a 45/55w halogen I believe. I was going to get one for my ktm but went H4 instead.. still cant see crap out of that diamond shaped joke they call a headlight..

REVERUP 10-23-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 72385)
Since my post, the reflector inside of the headlamp has tarnished. It turned black.
There are no signs of excessive heat. I don't know if the 55 watt bulb is borderline on the heat output.

I would stay with the 35W oem bulb.

How many rides before it started turning it black, and was that riding in the hot Texas daylight hours?

Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of adding a 55WT bulb to my 11's headlight shell for the night portion of this weekends 24 hour. I run my stock headlight shell and 2 trail tech mr 16 HIDs off the handle bars. along with 2 more HIDs of my helmets chin guard. So its not crutial I do this.

Really the bike light is just fill in light as this is mostly open prairie. But if I could get a bit more out of it that would help as you can outrun your lighting in this environment on super dark years as is this years prediction. Little or no moon light.

Thanks for your experience and advice with this in advance.

Roscoe

gasgasman 10-23-2011 03:19 PM

Roscoe.
I turn on headlight every time I ride. Our trails are two-way, so any advance notice is benificial to my health.

I think I may have a defective headlamp reflector. Only the lower half has the black oxidation on it. There is NO indication of any overheating concerns with the headlamp shell where the bulb sits.

I did have some water condesation in the head lamp before this happened. Maybe related?

skid jackson 10-23-2011 08:04 PM

I've got condensation on the inside of mine .... pretty much since day one. I figured it was from splashing through puddles and washing the bike. I'll have to take a closer look at the reflector. If I was more electronically inclined .. I'd be looking into how to refit the stock unit with some 35w led units

matt_tidball 10-24-2011 09:20 PM

I got a 55w H4 replacement. It puts off alot more light. I have not had any issues running this bulb.

REVERUP 10-25-2011 06:23 PM

Thanks guys I bought a standard Sylvania 55 wt H4 bulb for 10$ I could have got one with more lumen's of light out put for twice as much but the reliability of the bulb decreased majority.

Cheap upgrade I figure. Haven't plugged it in to try it yet cause my MX number plate set up is on the bike until O' dark 30 this Saturday. Then I'll add my lighting for my night laps. BRAAAAP!

Roscoe

GMP 01-24-2012 09:52 AM

Be careful, the socket/reflector may not be able to handle the heat of both hi/low at once. I have not seen a newer light assy, but I have melted an older one doing this.

savage sausage 01-27-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 68872)
Mine blew after the 4th ride.
I plan on putting a HID bulb in there next. The OEM bulb is a 35w H4 bulb.

I was thinking of going down this route, but I have one question as my bike doesn't have a battery ...is it still feasible to fit one without a battery?

They are ten a penny now on ebay of course you get what you pay for but can it work without a battery.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MotorBike-...item23192206f7

gasgasman 01-27-2012 06:34 PM

I don't know if you need a battery.
Cycle Gear had a blow out on HID bulb kits. But, they were too long to fit behind the headlight bezel.

savage sausage 01-28-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 78682)
I don't know if you need a battery.
Cycle Gear had a blow out on HID bulb kits. But, they were too long to fit behind the headlight bezel.

K thanks i'll make some enquiries into it.

GMP 01-30-2012 03:01 PM

If I needed a bright headlight, better than stock, I'd work out an LED option. Very bright, low power consumption, extremely durable. All you need is a rectifier and capacitor. If the DC is less than 30V you don't even need a regulator for the lights I'm familar with. You can even run at least one and likely two off of a 35W 2K-2. Not cheap though.

GasTimppa 02-03-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savage sausage (Post 78664)
I was thinking of going down this route, but I have one question as my bike doesn't have a battery ...is it still feasible to fit one without a battery?

They are ten a penny now on ebay of course you get what you pay for but can it work without a battery.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MotorBike-...item23192206f7

HID needs DC power and your bike is AC (no battery). AC kills HID ballast in few seconds. For more information there is few topics how to get DC power from your bike. I had HID in my -07 and light was unbelievable. With -11 it is supposed to be even better.

andoman 02-21-2012 10:22 AM

Is the verdict still out on using a 55W bulb?
Seems some are having sucess and others warn of melting the plastic lens.
I searched, and in all the older threads on the subject, the consensus is that damage will result.

BTW. Just joined the GG Club and am impressed with the wealth of knowledge here. Getting the new Spanish Girlfriend sorted out thanks to the info here.
I still have 2 KTM's and I'm quite active over at KTMTalk.

Thanks in Advance!

Bandit9 11-07-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andoman (Post 80300)
Is the verdict still out on using a 55W bulb?
Seems some are having sucess and others warn of melting the plastic lens.
I searched, and in all the older threads on the subject, the consensus is that damage will result.

BTW. Just joined the GG Club and am impressed with the wealth of knowledge here. Getting the new Spanish Girlfriend sorted out thanks to the info here.
I still have 2 KTM's and I'm quite active over at KTMTalk.

Thanks in Advance!

I second this. What is verdict on using the 55w H4?

nambo-trev 11-07-2013 11:56 AM

2011 headlight bulb

I'm using a 55w in my bike for the last 2 months and have no problems with melting and wayyyy brighter than my stocker. It does get a little warmer(of course) but nothing to the point of even coming close to melting, it's nice to finally have some good light in front of me. I'm using a sylvania silver star

Bandit9 11-07-2013 12:17 PM

Thanks. I'll give it go. Still trying to figure out how exactly my bulb shattered. No crashes, no nothing. Just trail riding. All of a sudden the light quit working. Low and behold a perfectly good bulb is shattered inside the lens???????:confused:

nambo-trev 11-07-2013 12:28 PM

That is weird, mine was replaced because my voltage reg had the cookie and I fried my bulb

Bandit9 11-07-2013 02:03 PM

Of course it's weird, it's a Gas Gas....:eek:

Pinittowinit 11-07-2013 02:33 PM

Here is my drop in 1200 lumen led light I madehttp://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps16104c45.jpg

Leo 11-07-2013 05:02 PM

Now the tutorial in 3...2...1...

StuJohnson 11-07-2013 05:23 PM

I put a brighter bulb in and it melted and deformed the plastic around it.... Don't do it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Pinittowinit 11-07-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuJohnson (Post 122111)
I put a brighter bulb in and it melted and deformed the plastic around it.... Don't do it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

That's why I designed the led bulb. I searched and searched for a real high powered drop in led bulb with no results. So I spent countless hours and some serious cash coming up with mine.

Bandit9 11-07-2013 09:53 PM

I bought the 55w H4 today at Auto Zone. I don't really need the light, so I will just hand it to the new owner when I sell it.

Pinittowinit 11-07-2013 09:53 PM

Oh and using the h4 55w bulb is nothing new. Us husqvarna guys have been looking for a real option for many years. Guys have tried drilling holes in the housing, all sorts of different bulbs, the list goes on and on. Most can't justify rewinding the stator and HIDs, so I finally got tired of it. I'm the kinda guy when confronted by a problem I will find a solution. Not just any solution but the best solution

Bandit9 11-07-2013 10:20 PM

Well how much is your wonder light bulb?

Pinittowinit 11-07-2013 10:57 PM

I have to test it a couple more weeks. Of all goes well I will order all the parts and assemble them. I'm looking at 90.00 shipped. Steep for a bulb yes, but the parts aren't exactly found at the dollar store. I wouldn't call it a wonder bulb, just a better solution than anything currently offered.

Bandit9 11-08-2013 06:51 AM

Well good luck with that.