Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Metal on metal sound when O-rings from exhaust wear out. (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14173)

Scar13 01-30-2013 10:10 AM

Metal on metal sound when O-rings from exhaust wear out.

Hi Everyone,

I have fixed this 4 times in the past year.. The o-rings SLIGHTLY wear and I get a metal Buzz sound from the front pipe. If I put my boot on the pipe it stops of course and if I change the O-rings it stops...

So I know the problem and how to fix it, but it should not be happening every 4 -6th ride and Is there a known issue with this? I ask because Gofasters has a replacement exhaust spigot.. Seems ODD to have one on the site like that?

desertgasser300 01-30-2013 11:12 AM

McMasters has better viton o-rings that hold up much longer. I can't remember the size, but GMP knows what size they are. Or you can do a search here on them. I would look it up but I'm on my phone and it will take to long.

Zman 01-30-2013 12:16 PM

Another option is to clean everything really well and use high temp RTV to seal the connection.

Mattnzl 01-30-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman (Post 103786)
Another option is to clean everything really well and use high temp RTV to seal the connection.

This is what I'm trying next - worked great on my KDX.

Scar13 01-30-2013 01:18 PM

Ps, I use the rtv sealent I have used red, and nine I'm trying the copper..

Jakobi 01-30-2013 02:36 PM

Check the alignment of the pipe, and also the lower pipe mount. I've found if the lower mount is flogged out it allows too much movement of the pipe which causes too much wear on the seal.

As above Viton o-rings and RTV Red. I was going through this every couple rides until I fixed the mounts up. Since then I can really scrag out the o-rings.

Mc_Grath 01-30-2013 05:27 PM

I have had this problem and I found that the left side of the pipe was pushed backwards so the pipe did not fit straight on the cylinder.

jostby 01-30-2013 08:52 PM

nail a stump just right and it should make the fit nice and tight to stop that buzzing :D

(F5) 01-30-2013 09:05 PM

One pipe buzzed & one didn't. the pipe that didn't was twisted & the front mount was twisted to get the bolt in. More tension, but pain in arse to fit.

I ended up fitting some extra springs on the manifold. buzzing stopped on straight pipe. (+ viton & sealant)

Mc_Grath 01-31-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jostby (Post 103808)
nail a stump just right and it should make the fit nice and tight to stop that buzzing :D

actually what I did was push it forward with the spoons I use to change the tires. It got better, but when it became perfect is when I hammered it (putting a piece of timber between the pipe and the huge hammer. Now the bike sounds like new :D No kidding