Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Product Reviews (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Need help deciding... 2018 XC300? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23887)

Wypipo 09-13-2018 10:15 AM

Need help deciding... 2018 XC300?

I?ve narrowed down my choices between an 18 XC300 or a 19 beta RR 300.

I live in northern Idaho. 90% of my riding is tight mountain single track. A couple of races per year which are mostly single and 2 track but at a much faster pace. I love blasting up steep, rocky, nasty hills which I have a lot of around here. Looking for some honest feedback on the XC300 for my type of riding.
The suspension has me very interested in this bike. I?m 5?11 200 lbs without gear. Will the XC suspension be plush in the slow rocky stuff and soak up everything at speeds (root wads, roots, etc)? I understand all of the issues with the battery and starter got sorted out and is no longer an issue? Does anybody else ride this bike in similar terrain as me? Any complaints? Also anybody who has ridden the GG and a beta could give me a comparison? I am familiar with beta but not GG. And at 1,000$ cheaper for the 18 it is looking pretty nice. Also I have her choice between an EC and XC and I?ve heard different things....one dealer told me they?re exactly the same besides the lights and pipe. Anther said the flywheel was different and slightly different power, that the XC has a little more off throttle power. Can anyone comment?

memphis2857 09-13-2018 11:18 AM

The GG is fantastic. The suspension is really amazing. The one thing I have issues with is, the stock ICS spring is a little too stiff so it tends to deflect a little in really slow rock gardens. Anything first gear speeds and it is fantastic though. I’m 260lbs and a top 5 +30b rider and the stock suspension (minus springs) works great for me.

As far as pairing it against the Beta. I have ridden a 17 Beta back to back with my xc300 and the GG has more power across the board, most notably in the mid-range. The GG handles better, is lighter, and holds more fuel.

XC vs. EC. Supposedly the only difference is, the pipe and lighting. My guess is the folks that say they can feel a difference are experiencing a placebo effect. I think it really comes down to, do you want to pay extra for lights that are pretty much useless in the dark and, a trailtech computer? I ride at night and I just use a $20 LED lightbar from Amazon and I have a Garmin GPS so I had no use for the EC. Plus I got the FMF pipe on the XC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

memphis2857 09-13-2018 11:19 AM

Oh and the 19’ Beta is just plain ugly! Lol

rvktm 09-13-2018 12:11 PM

out of interest what rate ics springs are std and what did u go to iv just changed the ics springs i my mar cc to 10 from i think 16 same springs as kyb ics

gasgasman 09-13-2018 04:20 PM

Nuff said.....

https://www.dirtrider.com/2018-gasga...18-beta-300-rr

memphis2857 09-13-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvktm (Post 185739)
out of interest what rate ics springs are std and what did u go to iv just changed the ics springs i my mar cc to 10 from i think 16 same springs as kyb ics

I have no idea. I called Halls Cycles and complained about suspension and he sent me new springs to try. Put them in and never looked back. I can call to find out though

hadfield4wd 09-14-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 185744)

I wish they had pitted the Race Edition Beta vs the GG. I think that's more fair. But I still think GG wins on suspension, but it's a closer margin. Really at my level I would be happy with either bike.

GasGas 09-14-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphis2857 (Post 185749)
I have no idea. I called Halls Cycles and complained about suspension and he sent me new springs to try. Put them in and never looked back. I can call to find out though

Please do! Inquiring minds want to know this stuff.

memphis2857 09-14-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasGas (Post 185761)
Please do! Inquiring minds want to know this stuff.

Stock is 20nm and I now have 18nm

Jakobi 09-14-2018 06:08 PM

Interesting!

I run .45kg/mm main springs and 2.2kg/mm ICS springs on my 2013 with retrofitted KYB. They do give some feedback, but I wouldn't call them harsh. Still yet to ride the 2018 model..