Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Other... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2012 -- Bent Kickstand Bolt AGAIN (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17356)

StuJohnson 05-08-2014 02:10 PM

2012 -- Bent Kickstand Bolt AGAIN

Seriously.... Am I the only one who hates the kickstand design on my bike???

I so want to take a torch and just cut and rip the SON OF A B$%^ off

Sure a lot of you say just get rid of it. Maybe I will. It really does not work for me. But there are so many times it comes in handy too.

I keep looking at all the other bikes kickstand designs. Like the promoto one for KX450 that is integrated into the foot peg mounts (thanks Desertgasser for that one). And the KTM ones are nice too.

I know this had been discussed a lot on here. But any others have good ways to keep the damn Grade 8 bolt from bending?

I am so tempted to modify my foot pegs mounts like the KX450. But that require quite a bit of work to the frame and if not done properly then would be a huge mistake....

StuJohnson 05-08-2014 02:17 PM

The black bolt is a grade 10 bolt. Lasted 2 rides.

The silver one is a grade 8 bolt. Lasted 2 times in garage... Obviously I used the wrong bolt.

What length is in your bike for this bolt ?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/09/3yru9ezu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phoenix 05-08-2014 02:26 PM

I went through four bolts before finally just ditched the kickstand. And I HATE not having a kickstand - sometimes a tree or fence post isn't around. And I get tired of the question...hey did your kickstand fall off?

I tried keeping it lubricated, I tried various different bolts, and I tried putting nylon shims in and it still gummed up and bent. I have never had this much trouble with a kickstand ever. I'm not sure if the bolt, itself, is the problem or just the design...crap just seems to get into the bolt hole and seize the thing up.

I wish the frame covered both sides of the top of the kickstand so that the bolt just making contact with the frame and not with the kickstand directly.

Buysomerice 05-08-2014 02:45 PM

My 12' is exactly the same. Tried long, short, and all the way to grade 10... It always bends. Next step is dremeling a void in the stand so the head of the bolt doesnt contact the stand at all. Insted it will bottom against the spacer/bushing thing that runs thru the stand. I dont take credit on that idea, I've read it on this forum somewhere. I can't say goodbye to mine either so its just bolted down tight till I get some time to try that.

Jakobi 05-08-2014 03:30 PM

Do you blokes let it auto retract?

nknudsen 05-08-2014 03:40 PM

Mine isn't a 2012 but I never let it slam up by it's self. I always hold my foot on it when it goes up. It retracts so hard I figure it might break something not letting it up easy over time.

StuJohnson 05-08-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 133888)
Do you blokes let it auto retract?

I hate that part too. I seriously have a permanent dent in my shin from that...

Lighting up the blow torch now... ;-)

bowhunter007 05-08-2014 03:57 PM

I knew there was a reason why mine never go back on, once removed(by whatever means).

john r b 05-08-2014 04:28 PM

I try my best not to auto retract. and just change the bolt every so often.

VxZeroKnots 05-08-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buysomerice (Post 133886)
My 12' is exactly the same. Tried long, short, and all the way to grade 10... It always bends. Next step is dremeling a void in the stand so the head of the bolt doesnt contact the stand at all. Insted it will bottom against the spacer/bushing thing that runs thru the stand. I dont take credit on that idea, I've read it on this forum somewhere. I can't say goodbye to mine either so its just bolted down tight till I get some time to try that.

I shimmed with a different spacer so the bolt head doesn't contact the stand and that has seemed to work the best out of anything I've tried.