Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Motor mods and "B" Frame weight...? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22166)

Ghostrider 12-06-2016 05:29 PM

Motor mods and "B" Frame weight...?

GGF,
Newbie here. Been on the prowl for a European off-road model for a few years.
I'm considering a 2011 EC300. I am basically going blind into being a gasgas owner but not too concerned.
Question 1:Do you notice the weight once your in motion? My RMZ450 is heavy but on the track I never really notice.
Question 2: who here has had motor work done?
It's a bad habit of mine but I do not own one stock motor.

Thanks, Ghost

(F5) 12-06-2016 06:07 PM

GG will definitely feel lighter as don't have all that high up engine weight what with the cams and valves and buckets and ports and other superfluous stuff missing.

They definitely respond well to a head skim and reshape along with a needle for sure. That should be sufficient to please but might not satisfy the spending bone. Try a gross of new Tyres. Ohh and Tubliss system. Chuck on rear and laugh.

Ghostrider 12-06-2016 06:28 PM

F5,
Sounds good! Yeah the spending...uhmmm got that from my mother's side😉

Thanks, Ghost

Zman 12-06-2016 07:00 PM

Welcome to the family! The weight is well balanced / distributed and I don't notice it once I am moving. For engine work on the 300 it depends what you want it to do. I have a well built stock bore 300 the rips and a big bore 327 that will lug like a 4 stroke and still makes great midrange and top end but does not rev quite as high as the stock bore. The big bore makes noticeably more power earlier in the power band. I personally have 5 GG bikes and all work great and are super reliable!

Ghostrider 12-06-2016 09:37 PM

Thanks, hopefully soon I'll pull the trigger. After looking at Off-road models in Orange, White, Blue and another red bike, I'm shocked to be leaning towards GasGas bikes. I appreciate the advice guys.

K.

hadfield4wd 12-07-2016 05:31 AM

The weight isn't as drastic as you think. Sure its heavier than other models, but not overly. I love mine its a mountain goat.

If you're looking to spend money there is always a steering stabilizer. Lol

Anyway coming from a 450 it'll feel lighter and be lighter as well.

These bikes are amazing

Moto7man 12-07-2016 12:53 PM

After coming off a 450 thumper, the Gasser will feel like a bicycle to you. The B frame is only about 15 pounds heavier than a Beta. For that 15 pounds you get sand cast cases, which were used on Hondas Works bikes in the past. So, you get a overbuilt reliable engine with a great spread of power. Also,IMHO nothing turns like a Gasser in the tight woods. :D

socalscott 12-11-2016 10:02 AM

Myself and a buddy got off trail on a hillside and had to get back up to the trail. His 530 xcw got pushed a foot at a time by the two of us, the rear didnt want to traverse under power. My 300 suddenly weren't so heavy. Took one push and I kept it going.
4t off-road weight ain't no joke.

socalscott 12-11-2016 12:09 PM

+1 on head work. Stock is way out of spec. Correct squish and combustion specs make jetting easier, improved fuel range and increased power. Reed spacer removal increases response and check the reeds for sure.
Stock pipe and a the volume chamber bolt-on makes a broader powerband starting way down.
For quick revs and more top end, an MC cdi or even an older rm125. Search it.
Oh yeah, the carb has to have the jet block modified in order to get the carb to work right. Ron Black is the man.

Ghostrider 12-12-2016 07:41 PM

SocalScott,
That's A LOT of info thx. Mr. Black? I was just on his website. Interesting that I've never heard that name EVER. Not once! But I am a lifetime mx/SX fan more so then off-road.

Thanks!