Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Injury & Recovery (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   knee brace for knee injury prevention (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9071)

flybars 03-06-2011 11:50 AM

knee brace for knee injury prevention

I've read all the post's on knee braces and how they help the rider with injured knee's. I'm just curious if it would be smart for me to start wearing brace's to prevent a knee injury?
I have tweaked both knee's pretty good since I started riding offroad six years ago. And I think they are more prone now to injury. I'm 61 years old and really hope/plan to ride for many years to come.
I have read somewhere that it is possible to break your femur while wearing a knee brace.
I would really like to hear your thought's on this important subject. Thanks in advance.

GMP 03-06-2011 04:03 PM

I've popped my right knee four times, most before there was such a thing as an MRI or arthroscopic surgery. I don't even know if I have an ACL, never went for an MRI, but I suspect not. I just work it hard in the gym, take a lot of Glucosamine, and wear a CTi. Honestly, I think it helps some but will not prevent an injury in a big hit. I've had bruises on my leg from the forces being transferred, and at times felt it start to go if I caught my foot in a rut or on a rock, so it does work. I do think its an absolute psychological advantage. I won't ride or ski without it, I just don't feel right, and when you don't feel confident thats when bad things happen. Discipline yourself to ride with your toes inward, this will save a lot of pain.

Dr. Mark Sanders on ThumperTalk did a study on the knee brace and its effectiveness. Quite a thread if I remember.

Krieg 03-06-2011 05:49 PM

I wear my Asterisk braces religiously. As well as a Leatt neck brace. Wouldn't even think about riding without them.

lankydoug 03-06-2011 06:38 PM

By the time I get all the gear I want I will have the price of a bike invested in gear. Good knee braces are on the list and so is a neck brace. All times 2 so my son can wear good gear unlike the T-shirt jeans and Highpoint boots I wore as a kid. I like the looks of the Pod MX braces but would like to try some on and compare to other brands before dropping that much coin.

mudwasp 03-19-2011 01:15 AM

I wear Asterisk knee braces,Alpinestars neck brace,661 body armor, a Shark helmet and SIDI boots.I cannot afford to be out of work.
I read a quote from Dick Burleson once where he said"wear every piece of protective equipent that you have" I think that's good advice.I know for a fact that asterisk knee braces prevented a bad knee injury for my husband.

flybars 03-20-2011 05:50 PM

Thanks Mudwasp.

mudwasp 03-20-2011 10:26 PM

On the other hand i have a good friend who is 66 years old, has rarely worn a helmet(on or off road)never wears any protective gear except jeans, and thinks a scarf and beret are a "nice touch". He rides CRAZY stuff !Passes "young guys on their new bikes with the all that plastic armor" He is a really good rider,He has led a charmed life. I on the other hand am not that good or lucky.

twowheels 03-20-2011 10:43 PM

I wear CTi OTS (off the shelf, but fitted by a nice lady at the physio's office) whenever I ride ... no braces, no riding. I can't afford to be limping around, much less out of work.
Once fitted correctly you'll mostly forget that they are there. My lower legs have hurt a little from transfered loads on big hits, but I can still walk straight :D

GMP 03-23-2011 06:36 PM

Thats the one I have. A little bit bulkier than the full custom my brother has but works fine. Its pretty tired looking but still tight.

flybars 03-24-2011 02:21 PM

Thanks everyone. I think it's time I do this before something bad happens to my knee's. Any tips on how to be ok'd by a physician for the CTI's?