Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Gasser 200 is it good enough? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3305)

bulletproof 09-18-2008 08:22 AM

Gasser 200 is it good enough?

Hi Guys, New here. I am considering upgrading my son from a TM125 to a gasser 200. (TM dont make a 200) Is this bike good enough for top level racing? The only other option is the KTM 200. Anybody have experience or tips?

Rick 09-18-2008 09:30 AM

Billy Burns....enough said:D Do a search...

All GasGas bikes are able to race at the top level. The 200 is a 125 with more bottom, pulls strong through the mid, no massive hit, solid performer as far as I'm concerned. Most of the 200 owners on this site all ride or race enduro's and have very little complaints.

I race cross country here in Northern California, I am lost in a sea of orange bikes, mainly 300's, 450's and 525's & 530's..you get my point. Those big open class bike are NO faster than my 200 on the courses that we race on. Our races are 1 1/2 hours long and when you get towards the end of the race you are still in control of the 200, I mean it take less engery to race the bike due to the smoothness of the motor, which in turn gives you the ability to push hard to the end, that is where IMO the guys on the bigger bike start to slow down...of course phyical fitness also becomes a factor..

The 200 is a solid bike, do you dare to be different?????

TooFastTim 09-18-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 20771)
The 200 is a solid bike, do you dare to be different?????

The man has owned a string of TM's!

Brian's an old friend of mine and many is the race and beer we've shared.

bulletproof 09-19-2008 12:42 AM

Thanks Rick. Problem is I really want my son to achieve his best. Im not afraid of anything different like Tim said. I think the gasser is a nice bike. Im just making sure. :)

RONALD BRUNDIGE 09-19-2008 07:07 AM

A 200 Jetted In With The Write Gearing Is All You Need. I Have Ridden Them All. That Would Be My Choice!!! Very Nice Bike. Any Questions We Can Answer Them. If I Cant Then Billy Can

SpeedyManiac 09-19-2008 09:25 AM

The EC200 is a great bike and is definitely competitive with the other 200 on the market. I eventually bumped up to a 250 though because where I race, the hills are huge and the 200 just doesn't have enough bottom end to haul me up the hills.

bondo 09-19-2008 09:27 AM

My son rids a GG 200 EC. He's about 5'10" and about 150 lbs. w/o gear.
We ride mostly tight, technical terrain. Lots of rocks and elevation change, some mud.

The 200 has been excellent! Very high quality components (Ohlins suspension, Nissin brakes, DirtStar rims). Easy to work on and maintain.
This bike will almost keep up with my '06 KTM 400 in a drag race (though I weigh about 40 lbs. more than he does), will turn underneath my KTM all day long - yet is VERY stable in a straight line and over obstacles and pulls strong down low if it needs to. His bike doesn't seem to rev as quickly as the KTM 2T, but for the terrain we ride on, that's a plus.

As a KTM rider for the past 21 years, I'm impressed enough with the performance of the Gas Gas that I'm trying to save enough money to add an EC 300 to our stable of bikes.

ramcclure200 09-19-2008 10:53 AM

I have an 04 DE200 and this bike is impressive, I ride Eastern tight stuff mainly and recently ventured out to the local MX track and had more fun than should be allowed.
A friend had just purchased a 01 KTM200 and we switched bikes on the trails and mx track and at the end of the day he regretted spending money on the KTM.
The power spread and hit are 250 like compared to the KTM and hands down the suspension was far better in all conditions.
The bike with the right rider can compete on any level (Billy Burns).
I'm 5'7" and 155lbs no gear and my buds with their 250's 4T and 2t we were bar to bar racing and the 200 almost every time got the hole shot.
70' table tops no problem, step ups, doubles, rockers handled it all perfect.
I would recommend the Gasser over the KTM:D
Ron

bulletproof 09-20-2008 12:23 AM

Great feedback guys. I know what the ktm boys will say but I think most of them are lemmings. ooops! :)

So lets see if we can get a Gasser then...

TooFastTim 09-20-2008 02:34 AM

"You know it's the right thing to do".

Eish!