Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What do the people "in the know" think? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10724)

bukwheat 10-06-2011 01:52 PM

What do the people "in the know" think?

I have found a guy locally who is a Racetech authorized dealer and servicer. He had put the "Gold Valves" in a KDX for me years ago and I was satisfied with that result.

I checked the Racetech website to see what they had listed for my 11 300 and the only listed for GG was for a 2000 300....well, I know several other makes use the Marzocchi 45mm Shivers so I looked up Husky first and they are used on the 2010 TC310 and Racetech had Gold Valves listed for them. I called my local suspension guy and told him what I had found so he said he would call Racetech and check. He calls me back and said they weren't sure....So do you guys think that Marzocchi specs forks differently for different brand. My gut tells me Gold Valves for Husky Zokes should work in GG Zokes.....whaddayathink????:confused:

twowheels 10-06-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bukwheat (Post 71755)
I have found a guy locally who is a Racetech authorized dealer and servicer. He had put the "Gold Valves" in a KDX for me years ago and I was satisfied with that result.

I checked the Racetech website to see what they had listed for my 11 300 and the only listed for GG was for a 2000 300....well, I know several other makes use the Marzocchi 45mm Shivers so I looked up Husky first and they are used on the 2010 TC310 and Racetech had Gold Valves listed for them. I called my local suspension guy and told him what I had found so he said he would call Racetech and check. He calls me back and said they weren't sure....So do you guys think that Marzocchi specs forks differently for different brand. My gut tells me Gold Valves for Husky Zokes should work in GG Zokes.....whaddayathink????:confused:

Yep, I'd bet a dollar's worth of donuts on that. RaceTech is likely hesitant to list the cross-reference if they haven't seen a bike though.

GMP 10-06-2011 08:47 PM

You still have to valve it correctly. I don't think the pistons are a limitation on the Zoke. I'd just stick with the stock pistons and revalve for starters.

moto9 10-07-2011 01:42 AM

I would bet the GV would work...a marz 45 is a marz 45, GG or Husky.
The good thing about the GV kit is it has a good supply of shims.
The RT chart for a husky should work for the GG, or at least get you close.
The only thing about the RT kits is the older ones didn't address the mid valve, not sure about the newer kits.

bukwheat 10-07-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 71785)
You still have to valve it correctly. I don't think the pistons are a limitation on the Zoke. I'd just stick with the stock pistons and revalve for starters.

Well, see, thats where I'm at a loss. I don't know enough about the internals to know about such things like if the piston is a problem and how the valving actually works....:confused:

Is there somewhere, an exploded view of a Zoke fork and each part explained to what it does. That would be really handy to have.

GMP 10-07-2011 11:28 AM

Valving, for any fork, is very specific and personal. You can't expect a set of specs on a sheet of paper supplied with a generic piston to work any better than what you have now, IMO. How does Racetech know what works with their GV kits on your GG, for your ability, weight and terrain? Answer is they probably don't. These things are good on forks that have pistons with poor flow charateristics, like a lot of older forks. I don't think this is needed on most modern forks. If you get a GV kit, valve it to spec, and it sucks, then what? If your set on DIY revalving, at least start with the OEM pistons as there is a huge knowledge base to draw from. The fork uses commin size shims (8mm ID) and is easy to work on. I'm not saying that the GV won't work, but if your looking for a quick and easy route to a better performing fork, I don't think this is it.

blitz11 10-07-2011 01:43 PM

Actually, a good place to start is the Race Tech "suspension bible." Say what you will about Paul Thede, he does a nice job of explaining what goes on, and why. He also adds some good humor in as well, so it makes for a nice read.

I agree with Glenn in that new forks have pretty well designed pistons which won't choke flow.

For about 1/8'th the cost of buying a GV kit, you can buy his book, score some shims, and be just as well off as with a GV kit. Once you understand the principles, "tuning" is just something else you'll be doing. You may never be as good as a pro, but you'll be better off.

one can't know too much.

twowheels 10-07-2011 06:35 PM

Grab the book, grab your wrenches, and get after it :D

Maybe the biggest gain to be made in Marzocchi fork performance is to ensure that the holes in the rebound and compression pistons are round and smooth - ie. not covered with casting flash.

Once the oil can flow the way it was intended you can worry about (re)valving. Just be careful loosening the compression taps - hit them with the air gun and you may end up with a loose bunch of shims in the bottom of your tubes.

Oh, and don't wear your favorite clothes when you're working with suspension fluid ... just sayin' :cool:

bukwheat 10-07-2011 09:01 PM

Thanks, guys for the straight skinny. I think I will hold off on the GVs. I'm going to let him do some shim work and adjust the fluid level. I appreciate the info.

matt_tidball 10-09-2011 01:03 AM

After trying everything with the stock valves on my 2011 300 six days I scored a valve kit from Teknik for a BMW 450x. The BMw uses the same forks. These valves flow alot more fluid and work much better. I would recomend them to others.I am a 215lb A rider. I would say to make sure you have the right springs first.