Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Techniques & Training (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Rekluse technique (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2897)

iancp5 06-15-2008 03:44 AM

Rekluse technique

I'm probably going to get a bike with a Rekluse and no clutch lever. How do you get round the problem of needing to hoist the front from very low speed, walking pace speed, to get the front over an obstacle like a log or something?

rider01 06-15-2008 10:51 AM

Why not just leave the clutch lever on & have an override? I don't have any trouble getting my front wheel up from an idle by just leaning back & whacking the throttle open, but I'm a big man & my size & weight my have something to do with that.

Brian VT 06-15-2008 08:02 PM

I'd keep the clutch lever. If you accidentally go WFO you'll be reaching for it.

iancp5 06-16-2008 03:21 AM

As it stands it doesn't have a clutch lever or foot brake. I can refit them but was intending to try it without initially. I like the idea of the rear brake on the left hand but I do feel nervous about no clutch.

Eric K 06-16-2008 08:38 AM

I would not ride it without a clutch lever for over ride. A GasGas with a stuck throttle and no clutch over ride could be disastrous.

cdn280 06-16-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric K (Post 18093)
I would not ride it without a clutch lever for over ride. A GasGas with a stuck throttle and no clutch over ride could be disastrous.

No shite ! A single cable throttle too. Not so much a worry on a 4T with dual push/pull throttle.

SpeedyManiac 06-16-2008 02:26 PM

That's the beauty of the Rekluse - you don't need to clutch it to get the front end up. Just twist the throttle and give a little tug on the bars. I can be completely stopped, standing on the pegs and then just take off with the front wheel immediately in the air without touching the clutch lever.

That said, I would leave an override on the bike as a safety precaution.

HydroDog 06-16-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancp5 (Post 18086)
As it stands it doesn't have a clutch lever or foot brake. I can refit them but was intending to try it without initially. I like the idea of the rear brake on the left hand but I do feel nervous about no clutch.

I've been riding with friends for 7 years with the LHRB set up an no clutch override and have never seen a time when their throttle stuck wide open and crashed off in the woods. I'm not saying it couldn't happen anything is possible but with the benifits of the LHRB I chose to take that chance. It took me about a 100 mi. of riding to get use to it thou. I set mine up with both the hand and foot brake until I was fully weened off the foot brake.

As for poppen the front wheel up it is a lot easier with the auto clutch because you don't end up with all the extra wheel spin.

Brian VT 06-16-2008 08:37 PM

I dunno. It seems that most times I whack something I end up WFO.
If not for having a finger always on the clutch lever I'd probably be typing this via a pencil in my mouth.

cdn280 06-17-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian VT (Post 18113)
I dunno. It seems that most times I whack something I end up WFO.
If not for having a finger always on the clutch lever I'd probably be typing this via a pencil in my mouth.

For some sick reason I find that very funny, and true.