Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Loose frame nut... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23138)

Marcão 11-29-2017 06:28 AM

Loose frame nut...

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

The M6 nut attached/pressed to the frame (sorry, don't know the right name for this kind of nut) where the upper pipe silentblock is fixed is loose (rotating on the frame), so it's not posible to torque it.

Any idea on how to fix it ?

kind regards,

Marc

Anders 11-29-2017 06:44 AM

I presume this is a popnut. I guess the best fix would be to drill it out and insert a new one using proper tools.

Neil E. 11-29-2017 10:53 AM

You might try flushing around the nut with solvent (lacquer thinners) and then running a bead of red loctite around the nut. Rotate the nut to get the loctite to creep in (maybe oscillate back and forth too). If the loctite sets OK the nut should be held in place. It's worth a try before drilling it out. The key is to get it really clean before adding loctite.

Marcão 11-29-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 180211)
I presume this is a popnut. I guess the best fix would be to drill it out and insert a new one using proper tools.

That's the problem, Anders, to find the "popnut" and the proper tools down here where I live....:(

Harry 11-29-2017 03:00 PM

could you get it Tig welded to the frame?

gasgasman 11-29-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry (Post 180223)
could you get it Tig welded to the frame?

No. The Riv nut is steel.

pscook 11-29-2017 05:38 PM

Install Riv-nut Without Special Tool?????

Cox76y 11-30-2017 06:35 AM

Assuming the nut just needs pulling back against the frame again (similar to a pop rivet) have you tried placing a high tensile bolt in it with a nut wound half way out and several washers between it and the frame. Then tighten the nut down onto the washers whilst holding the bolt with another spanner or vice grips to stop it from spinning in the riv nut.
The nut should push the washer hard against the frame and then start pulling your riv nut back into the frame as you keep tightening it. Just make sure the diameter of the hole in the washer is large enough so the end of the riv nut you can see coming out of the frame in the photo passes through it. You may need several washers to make it thick enough so the riv nut doesn't push directly against the nut your tightening.. Hope this makes sense. Kind of hard to explain it but it should work.
Josh

Anders 11-30-2017 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cox76y (Post 180235)
Assuming the nut just needs pulling back against the frame again (similar to a pop rivet) have you tried placing a high tensile bolt in it with a nut wound half way out and several washers between it and the frame. Then tighten the nut down onto the washers whilst holding the bolt with another spanner or vice grips to stop it from spinning in the riv nut.
The nut should push the washer hard against the frame and then start pulling your riv nut back into the frame as you keep tightening it. Just make sure the diameter of the hole in the washer is large enough so the end of the riv nut you can see coming out of the frame in the photo passes through it. You may need several washers to make it thick enough so the riv nut doesn't push directly against the nut your tightening.. Hope this makes sense. Kind of hard to explain it but it should work.
Josh

Yep. That is certainly worth a try.

Marcão 11-30-2017 06:54 AM

Thank you Phil and Cox76Y !

Both ideas are more or less in the same direction. I'll give a try tonight and will let you now the result !