Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Injury & Recovery (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Wrist Pain & Thumb Throttle Question (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1380)

RPB111 08-16-2007 10:43 AM

Wrist Pain & Thumb Throttle Question

I have severe rheumatoid arthritis in my right wrist and will someday have to have it fused. I am unable to ride at this time because of the pain of moving my wrist. I think I could ride if I rode with a brace that prevented my wrist from moving. Can I convert my 2001 EC250 to thumb throttle and if so what parts do I need to make the conversion?

skid jackson 08-16-2007 05:56 PM

boy that sounds tricky. there are some companies that make after market thumb throttle for atv's. I'd start with something like that and modify as neccessary. I think motion pro makes one.

gasser 08-16-2007 07:14 PM

My wife has rheumatoid arthritis in her leg and she suffered terribly until she started drinking a special blend of herbal tea. Now the pain is almost completely gone. We walked around at the Indianna state fair for eleven hours on Saturday and she felt great afterwords. I drink the tea as well and it gives me energy that I haven't had for years. Check out www.holyteaclub.com/live4ever - Ken

Bandit9 08-16-2007 09:05 PM

At a boy Rodney! Don't go down without a fight. I was sad when you told us you were quiting.

I would call Kevin Hutchinson. I'll bet $100 that he can make it work.

gasgasman 08-17-2007 05:18 AM

I've seen left side throttle conversions.
Used along with an auto clutch and you're in business.:D

RPB111 08-17-2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit9 (Post 7762)
At a boy Rodney! Don't go down without a fight. I was sad when you told us you were quiting.

I would call Kevin Hutchinson. I'll bet $100 that he can make it work.

I looked on eBay yesterday for thumb controls and I think I can make one of them work. I might try one for a Honda 450. I have never seen a left side throttle; it would turn backwards if you just flipped it over to the left side. That might work though. At least with a backwards throttle you would get "whiskey throttle" in reverse.

What is Kevin's number? I cannot stand looking at that bike all cleaned up and ready to go and not being able to ride.

How did you and Darren do at the national? How did your Gas Gas do?

Bandit9 08-17-2007 01:39 PM

Kevin's number is 443-9373.

Darron popped his radiator and seized the motor before the first check. I think he drove 20 hrs for what seemed like 20 mins of riding. He was pretty sad on the way home. I finished 9th. Nothing spectacular, just rode at 80% and finished and didn't get hurt. I'll call you with all the boring details.

gasgasman 08-18-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPB111 (Post 7773)
I have never seen a left side throttle; it would turn backwards if you just flipped it over to the left side.

You would have to use a "push-pull" 4 stroke throttle. Hook up the "push" side when used on the left side.

RPB111 10-22-2007 05:55 PM

I have installed a thumb throttle from a Honda 4-wheeler and it works great; maybe too great. With the wrist problems I only had about 2/3 throttle twist; with my CRF 450 that was all I needed. With the Gas Gas 250 2/3 throttle was OK but now that I have the thumb throttle I have a full bike; I love my Gas Gas now for sure.

I made a wrist brace that prohibits any wrist movement at all. That allows me to ride but not totally pain free. At least now I can ride.

I just had another cortisone injection and the wrist feels pretty good. Maybe with the wrist brace and the injection I will be able to ride pain free or nearly pain free.