Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Masterlink...Rivet or Clip (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6397)

Rick 11-25-2009 10:43 PM

Masterlink...Rivet or Clip

How many of you are using the "standard clip style" or the "rivet style" masterlink???

Besides the advantage of being able to take the chain on and off, or a trail side repair, what would be some other draw backs and advantages to the rivet master link?

If you had the rivet tool, would you use the rivet masterlink?

Thanks

jeffd 11-25-2009 10:58 PM

My '01 gasgas had a CZ chain without a masterlink - I immediately removed a link and added a master link. I wanted to move the rear wheel forward to shorten the wheelbase (quicken steering).

I guess my thoughts are this...

1. I haven't lost a masterlink in a long, long time. All the same, I keep a spare one in my fanny pack.
2. If I wad a chain up - I might want to be able to remove the master link to ease unwinding it...

Jeff
AKA Webmaster
GGRC

MattR 11-26-2009 07:29 AM

If you are playing with rear sprockets to fine tune the final drive ratio, then you will benefit from having master links. You could even swap between 2 chains if the ratio forces you to add/remove a link.

For me, the biggest complaint about the master link is the clip tends to wear from the chain guide. After a while, you will need to flip the clip or eventually replace it because they wear down too much.

As far as strength goes, I have not had issues with the master links. One could argue that riveted chains are stronger, but the strength only needs to be as strong as the application requires. Since master links are not failing on my dirtbike, I never sought after the "stronger" rivet connection. I would rivet the chain on a street bike, but a master link on dirt bikes makes sense to me.

eff 11-26-2009 09:51 AM

I think chain guide wear on the clip depends on the type of guide. I run the stock GG guide and see very little wear on my clip. KTM's, on the other hand, seem to wear on the clip a ton.

I also use a clip link w/ no issues.

skid jackson 11-26-2009 11:51 AM

master link with no real issues... I did find the clip bent once but replaced it with one I had. I have also seen some that were worn from the chain guide but I usually get a least one new chain a year ....

PEB 11-26-2009 12:55 PM

I use the clip and install the clip on the inside of the chain. That way if the clip vere fails the link works its way out and the chain comes off. If you install the clip on the outside the link must first take out anything in it's path, like cases or a clutch matser before the chain can come off.

HydroDog 11-26-2009 06:13 PM

I use the rivit link. Just one less thing to pack in the tool bag and never have to worry about clip wear.

Ud_luz 11-26-2009 06:46 PM

I use the rivet link too. Why have another point of failure on your bike?

Fred1956 11-26-2009 07:51 PM

I've always used the clip and never considered it a point of failure. I've heard of it happening but if you're doing your regular maintenance you'd see an early issue then. Just my .02 worth

Rick 11-27-2009 07:17 PM

I was just think about going with the revit link, vice the clip master link. My new RK XSO 520 is plenty strong for my 200hundo so that is not the real issue. I have never had a chain failure with my last 2 chains, but I have noticed plenty of side link wear, and when I removed my old chain, the clip was getting pretty thin. Which had be thinking.....

Thanks for the input.