Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Techniques & Training (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Mt Bike Training (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8531)

Rod Overstreet 01-07-2011 07:10 AM

Mt Bike Training

For several years, I was big into mt bikes and got into pretty good shape, but gradually lost interest, and stopped riding. Just recently I caught the bug to start pedaling again, so I found a killer deal on a new GT Marathon and took the plunge. A buddy of mine is prepping the bike this weekend, and we hope to go out as soon as the weather allows.

Just wondering what sort of physical training you guys are doing to stay in shape, and if there are any other mt. bike / GG riders here on the forum?

lankydoug 01-07-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet (Post 54450)
For several years, I was big into mt bikes and got into pretty good shape, but gradually lost interest, and stopped riding. Just recently I caught the bug to start pedaling again, so I found a killer deal on a new GT Marathon and took the plunge. A buddy of mine is prepping the bike this weekend, and we hope to go out as soon as the weather allows.

Just wondering what sort of physical training you guys are doing to stay in shape, and if there are any other mt. bike / GG riders here on the forum?

Don't you have to pedal those things?:D

Rod Overstreet 01-07-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lankydoug (Post 54456)
Don't you have to pedal those things?:D

Here in KY...what goes up...most come down so yes, you pedal...but only half the time :)

twowheels 01-07-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet (Post 54450)

I usually throw my mountain bike in for any winter travel to the warmer climates, but I'd rather dirt bike than mountain bike any day. Still, during the week in the summer I try to spin at least once - MTB trails are much more accessible in the after work hours.

roostafish 01-07-2011 09:37 AM

I pedal too. I ride 26 miles round trip to work every day. When the weather is better we do wednesday mt. Bike rides after work at a local hot spot. It has required that I purchase really good lighting. Originally I got a mt. bike so I could ride during the fire season, but it's become a new passion. Riding bikes have opened up new trails, new challenges, and consistent mid week riding, plus a healthy dose of humility!

Skidad 01-07-2011 12:36 PM

Mtn. biking rocks IMO and is great training. I've found nothng that can turn your entire body into a wimpy noodle more than a grueling dirt bike ride but mtn. bikeing can come close. I love the quiet factor and the fact you don't need huge mileage to enjoy the sport. I have 3 spots within 5-10 minutes where I can ride. Me and all 3 of my kids ages 17, 15, and 12 do it. With the cold weather my kids bail but I continue. I bought a set of Nokian studded tires last winter and it was one of the best purchases I've made as you can just laugh at glare ice on the trails. I use a pair of Swix XC ski gloves which work great. No problem keeping warm once you get warm. Since I've been unemployed I've spent FAR more time on the mtn. bike this past year than the dirt bikes and I can enjoy the sport with my kids which for me is huge....except dad gets to wrench/maintain 4 bikes. It get very addictive and bling and goodies for mtn. bikes is off the charts. For a newbie the learning curve with all different bike standards, suspension designs, terminology etc. it can be quite overwhelming. Worse than dirt bikes but it's super fun and fantastic exercise (that can really hurt).

GT Marathon is a nice bike. Let me guess...Performance Bike? They were blowing out all knds of deals on the GT bikes.

GMP 01-07-2011 01:46 PM

I should do it too, gym is good but just not enough. Fortunately I can ride my GG from the garage and this fall rode for eight consecutive weeks, felt great. I have a county park with dedicated mtn. bike trails near my house, races are held there too. Problem is I have an old Diamond Back Accent with no suspension. Good components but really stiff, even on the road. I got my kids some cheap bikes for Xmas, and looked at some cool new mtn bikes with disc brakes, etc. $800 for a cheap one with just a fork.:eek: Another $$ toy. What do I have to spend for a good modern bike, or how much to bring my old one up to spec with a fork and is it worth it?

Rod Overstreet 01-07-2011 02:00 PM

GT

I got the GT Marathon Elite Cross Country, and yes...there deals are to be had on left-overs right now. My buddy used to own a bicycle shop, so he has been a great help in finding the bike that would suit my needs and my budget.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y...ossCountry.jpg

Rod Overstreet 01-07-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 54475)
What do I have to spend for a good modern bike, or how much to bring my old one up to spec with a fork and is it worth it?

Check out Giant Nerd on the web. EXCELLENT deals right now but with limited supply on the more popular sizes like mediums and smalls.

Rod Overstreet 01-07-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidad (Post 54468)
Mtn. biking rocks IMO and is great training. I've found nothng that can turn your entire body into a wimpy noodle more than a grueling dirt bike ride but mtn. bikeing can come close. I love the quiet factor and the fact you don't need huge mileage to enjoy the sport. I have 3 spots within 5-10 minutes where I can ride. Me and all 3 of my kids ages 17, 15, and 12 do it. With the cold weather my kids bail but I continue. I bought a set of Nokian studded tires last winter and it was one of the best purchases I've made as you can just laugh at glare ice on the trails. I use a pair of Swix XC ski gloves which work great. No problem keeping warm once you get warm. Since I've been unemployed I've spent FAR more time on the mtn. bike this past year than the dirt bikes and I can enjoy the sport with my kids which for me is huge....except dad gets to wrench/maintain 4 bikes. It get very addictive and bling and goodies for mtn. bikes is off the charts. For a newbie the learning curve with all different bike standards, suspension designs, terminology etc. it can be quite overwhelming. Worse than dirt bikes but it's super fun and fantastic exercise (that can really hurt).

GT Marathon is a nice bike. Let me guess...Performance Bike? They were blowing out all knds of deals on the GT bikes.

We have 25 miles of single track mt bike trails at our state park, about 15 minutes from where I live. Most of it is pretty tame, but there are a few extreme sections that the local college team practices on. Honestly, I would do good to ride my GG over some of the climbs out there, much less a bicycle. Those kids are amazing!

One of the many advantages of riding a mt bike (for me anyway), is the fact that most of the time your standing up, stroking the pedals. Naturally, when you climb on the motorcycle, you automatically go into the stand up mode and you're looking farther out down the trail.

Skidad 01-07-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 54475)
What do I have to spend for a good modern bike, or how much to bring my old one up to spec with a fork and is it worth it?

While there are those who ride with no suspension or just a front suspension or even the torture of single speed I'm not one of them and I say get a bike with dual suspension. Especially since you live in the land of rocks and roots.

I would say a minimum of $1,000 for a new bike on blowout or a somewhat decent used bike. $1,500 starts to get you into a better sweet spot especially in the used market. For example, my bike and my sons bike are $3,000 dollar bikes new but we both picked them up used in like new pristine condition for $1,500 each. Of course I have dumped a fair amount more into mine. $1,500-$2,000 you can get a pretty nice new bike and a dam fine used one. Then it just goes up from there to crazy money. So many good used bikes out there that have been ridden very little and plenty of good leftovers also. No need to go latest and greatest unless you have money to burn.

Rod Overstreet 01-07-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidad (Post 54490)
While there are those who ride with no suspension or just a front suspension or even the torture of single speed I'm not one of them and I say get a bike with dual suspension. Especially since you live in the land of rocks and roots.

I would say a minimum of $1,000 for a new bike on blowout or a somewhat decent used bike. $1,500 starts to get you into a better sweet spot especially in the used market. For example, my bike and my sons bike are $3,000 dollar bikes new but we both picked them up used in like new pristine condition for $1,500 each. Of course I have dumped a fair amount more into mine. $1,500-$2,000 you can get a pretty nice new bike and a dam fine used one. Then it just goes up from there to crazy money. So many good used bikes out there that have been ridden very little and plenty of good leftovers also. No need to go latest and greatest unless you have money to burn.

Agreed. I almost made the mistake of making my decision based on year model, instead of components. Just because its a year newer, doesn't mean its better as I found out. Good thing my advisor took a look at the spec sheets before I pulled the trigger.

My last bike (Trek 950) had front suspension with a hard tail and I liked it but... I've aged some since then! My back simply can't take the beating, so full suspension was a must. Guess for now, the old Trek will get setup on the wind trainer and I'll use it as a stationary bike.

Good grief...will it ever quit snowing so I can ride?

2whlrcr 01-07-2011 07:50 PM

In another life I was a Cat II road racer and an Expert level mountain bike racer. I just don't like to suffer that much any more and it takes all of your free time to train. I still have a Trek OCLV road bike and a 29" mountain bike. They get used, but my mileage pales in comparison to what I used to do.

It's winter here and I like to XC ski if the conditions are right. Used to race those too. I just signed up for the Concept II rowing challenge, over on KTM Talk. Hope they don't mind I have a GG.:) But I do have one of those orange things too.

Skidad 01-07-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whlrcr (Post 54494)
It's winter here and I like to XC ski if the conditions are right. Used to race those too. I just signed up for the Concept II rowing challenge, over on KTM Talk. Hope they don't mind I have a GG.:) But I do have one of those orange things too.

2 more fantastic forms of exercise. I sooooo much want a rower to punish myself with. All in good time. XC skiing is also the nuts IMO. Best "overall" conditioned athletes in the world are world class XC ski racers.

Good luck with the challenge. I've seen that in the health and fitness forum over there.

webmaster 01-07-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whlrcr (Post 54494)

I have a concept II rower at home as well. And the small gym I use every day at work has one. Great workout for riding and it's smooth and easy on the joints.

Since my double bypass - I have been working out every day on the treadmill and the rower - usually 45-60 minutes of cardio along with light weights.

I recall that Girard (gasgasman) said that he rows as well...

jeff

GMP 01-08-2011 09:39 AM

Figured it would be expensive. I got my DB years ago for urban assault city road rides where I used to live, that would tear up a road bike. I rode up here a few times and even the easy stuff is rocky and brutal on the bike. Some of those bikes are insane expensive. My main riding buddy is also an expert downhill mtn bike racer, his race bike is over $4400!:eek:

Ever try a Versaclimber? The most intense cardio machine I've used, ever. Don't see many in gyms anymore. The last gym I was in that had one, it was always open, the manager said it was too rough for all but the serious members. I loved that thing.

Rod Overstreet 01-08-2011 10:57 AM

Versaclimber

I remember seeing one of those in our local gymn, but never tried it.

Going to the gymn started out fun, but it seemed I always caught some kind of bug while going. Finally had to quit, just to get healthy again.

2whlrcr 01-08-2011 06:30 PM

Maybe next year we will have to organize a GG rowing team for the Concept II January challenge.

roostafish 01-09-2011 12:45 AM

I searched for months before getting a mt. Bike. I wanted a single speed because lots of the locals ride them, but I soon found that a decent single speed with a suspension fork was $1500. You don't save money getting a single speed. I could make a case for it though. I commute in a single speed. It makes you strong. Believe it or not, most guys I know who have both geared and single speed bikes are actually faster on the single speed. You have to be. You see a hill, you stands and hammer before you get there.

Rod Overstreet 01-09-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostafish (Post 54555)
I searched for months before getting a mt. Bike. I wanted a single speed because lots of the locals ride them, but I soon found that a decent single speed with a suspension fork was $1500. You don't save money getting a single speed. I could make a case for it though. I commute in a single speed. It makes you strong. Believe it or not, most guys I know who have both geared and single speed bikes are actually faster on the single speed. You have to be. You see a hill, you stands and hammer before you get there.

Dude you must be a machine to pedal a single speed off-road! :)

Rod Overstreet 01-09-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 54499)
I have a concept II rower at home as well. And the small gym I use every day at work has one. Great workout for riding and it's smooth and easy on the joints.

Since my double bypass - I have been working out every day on the treadmill and the rower - usually 45-60 minutes of cardio along with light weights.

I recall that Girard (gasgasman) said that he rows as well...

jeff

Jeff, So how is your recovery coming along after the open heart mod, and what does your diet now consists of?

2whlrcr 01-09-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet (Post 54564)
Dude you must be a machine to pedal a single speed off-road! :)

I wouldn't recommend anybody buying a single speed mountain bike, unless they are already a fairly fit cyclist. I've ridden a few, owned a few track bikes and it's a recipe for over use injuries, especially if your older and not in the best of shape. But nothing beats going fast on a single speed if your legs are up to it.

Rod Overstreet 01-09-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whlrcr (Post 54567)
I wouldn't recommend anybody buying a single speed mountain bike, unless they are already a fairly fit cyclist. I've ridden a few, owned a few track bikes and it's a recipe for over use injuries, especially if your older and not in the best of shape. But nothing beats going fast on a single speed if your legs are up to it.

Good advise but you don't have to worry about me going with a single speed unless it uses a gear ratio like the small ring up front and the big one on the rear :D !

hudson_hollow 01-09-2011 11:29 PM

No single speeds for me!! I had a tough time deciding on my last bike if I should spend an extra $100 to get the 30 speed. I chose the cheaper 27 speed and it does the job for me. Here's a really well put together video of some great downhill and freestyle mtn bike riding;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJLZxXErM0

webmaster 01-10-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet (Post 54565)
Jeff, So how is your recovery coming along after the open heart mod, and what does your diet now consists of?

I am doing well - I had no heart damage - it is coming along well - but I need to be patient and work towards my goals slowly. I have kind of hit a weight loss plateau - but I am sure I am putting on muscle - just need to be patient and "keep going"...

One of my main issues has been pulling muscles & getting "knots" in my back as I try to work my upper body back into shape - some muscles got totally atrophied in my upper body and I think things just get tweaked when they "crank you open". And I wasn't in great shape prior to my surgery - I didn't realize how my health had deteriorated due to my cardiovascular problems.

My diet has totally changed - I used to be the first guy in line at the hamburger grill and was clearly a "meat and potatoes guy". I now eat a mediterranean diet - fish, chicken, vegetables, fiber, etc. I often pick the vegetarian option in the cafeteria at work. I no longer eat any fast food, fried food, red meat, no dairy products except for non-fat milk in the a.m. on my cereal.

My weight is down and my blood pressure and cholesterol are now well under control and low. It's funny, I don't really miss the "old diet" because I feel so much better now...

Jeff

Rod Overstreet 01-10-2011 05:52 AM

Good to hear that you're recovering and making progress! I gotta change my diet as well. Going to hard to give up my pork rinds :o

RJ10 01-10-2011 05:01 PM

Rod,
Is that your pet name for Debbie?

Rod Overstreet 01-10-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ10 (Post 54684)
Rod,
Is that your pet name for Debbie?

Oh man... she's going to get you for that Robbie! :D

hudson_hollow 01-10-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudson_hollow (Post 54606)
No single speeds for me!! I had a tough time deciding on my last bike if I should spend an extra $100 to get the 30 speed. I chose the cheaper 27 speed and it does the job for me. Here's a really well put together video of some great downhill and freestyle mtn bike riding;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJLZxXErM0

Well if you saw this video last night you were one of the lucky ones. Now they are offering it for sale. I was gonna get one of my geek friends to download it for me but I waited one day too late. Here's their new teaser site;
http://lifecyclesfilm.com/

Rod Overstreet 01-10-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudson_hollow (Post 54690)
Well if you saw this video last night you were one of the lucky ones. Now they are offering it for sale. I was gonna get one of my geek friends to download it for me but I waited one day too late. Here's their new teaser site;
http://lifecyclesfilm.com/

WOW, cool video! Now...replace the bicycle in the film with a Gas Gas and you would have an award winner!

rockrider1 01-24-2011 06:40 AM

My Wife and I just picked up a pair of new left over 2010's at very good price(Trek fuel ex 8 and a Cannondale Rize 120 3). We just need the snow to melt so we can start are riding/training............:D

Skidad 01-24-2011 02:54 PM

Those are both very nice bikes that will not give you any excuses:D

mtothef 01-24-2011 07:17 PM

cross-training irony...

i've been riding mountain bikes since the mid-80s. they are what took the place of dirt bikes when i first moved to the states from new zealand, and then they became a source of income in one way or another, and have remained so since then. i've mellowed out a lot in the last decade, and gone from pretty fit race shape to regular rider with about 10 more pounds on my middle than i want. but i can still rip out a 30 or 40 mile dirt mtb ride without feeling too bad.

the weird thing for me is that there is some crossover benefit in terms of riding dirt bikes, but all the mountain bike miles don't do a damn thing for me when i get back on the moto after some time off. i went out friday for five hours on my brand new leftover 2010 300, and it kicked my ass seven ways into next week. the mid-deep isometric squat that is part and parcel of dirt biking hurts my legs in ways that pedaling will never help, and no amount of singletrack on a bicycle will cure the forearm pump at the beginning of the ride and the tired shoulders at the end.

only cure for me is to ride more dirt bikes! could be worse fates.

roostafish 01-24-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtothef (Post 55783)
i've been riding mountain bikes since the mid-80s. they are what took the place of dirt bikes when i first moved to the states from new zealand, and then they became a source of income in one way or another, and have remained so since then. i've mellowed out a lot in the last decade, and gone from pretty fit race shape to regular rider with about 10 more pounds on my middle than i want. but i can still rip out a 30 or 40 mile dirt mtb ride without feeling too bad.

the weird thing for me is that there is some crossover benefit in terms of riding dirt bikes, but all the mountain bike miles don't do a damn thing for me when i get back on the moto after some time off. i went out friday for five hours on my brand new leftover 2010 300, and it kicked my ass seven ways into next week. the mid-deep isometric squat that is part and parcel of dirt biking hurts my legs in ways that pedaling will never help, and no amount of singletrack on a bicycle will cure the forearm pump at the beginning of the ride and the tired shoulders at the end.

That's funny, I get a big benefit from riding the mt. bike when I ride my moto, but the reverse is not true.
Fitness in any manner helps, but there's nothing like doing the discipline you're training to do for getting into shape for that particular event.

mtothef 01-25-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostafish (Post 55786)
That's funny, I get a big benefit from riding the mt. bike when I ride my moto, but the reverse is not true.
Fitness in any manner helps, but there's nothing like doing the discipline you're training to do for getting into shape for that particular event.

i might have been speaking from a warped perspective when i wrote that, since my thighs felt like i'd been doing kettlebell lifts in hell from the moto ride on friday. also, most of the people i ride moto with are also primarily mountain bike riders, and are almost all as fit or fitter than me, so it's hard to judge how we compare to non-riders.

i do recall when i was doing hare scrambles a few years ago how large numbers of racers seem to come unglued toward the end of a couple hour race, whereas my cycling buddies and i seemed to be able to maintain our pace...

roostafish 01-25-2011 10:42 AM

A
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtothef (Post 55842)
i might have been speaking from a warped perspective when i wrote that, since my thighs felt like i'd been doing kettlebell lifts in hell from the moto ride on friday. also, most of the people i ride moto with are also primarily mountain bike riders, and are almost all as fit or fitter than me, so it's hard to judge how we compare to non-riders.

i do recall when i was doing hare scrambles a few years ago how large numbers of racers seem to come unglued toward the end of a couple hour race, whereas my cycling buddies and i seemed to be able to maintain our pace...

Exactly.

buckow 03-03-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtothef (Post 55783)

Hey guys, this is my first post here and thanks for all the great info.

I am just getting started in the moto world and DH MTB has been my life for the last 15 years. Maybe downhill mtb riding is better cross training for the arm pump and squat position. I was hoping the DH stuff would cross over but I am just getting used to my new to me 2009 GasGas EC 300.

Here is some of the stuff I do on a DH bike that I am hoping will help me on the moto.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6856056/p4pb6856056.jpg

I think I have a long way to go before I am sending it like on my mtb.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7334184/p4pb7334184.jpg

roostafish 03-03-2012 12:53 PM

WOW! Great photos man!! I love the one of you looking down at the folks as you gap that road!

By the way, I read through this entire thread. I have since purchased a single speed 29er and barely ever ride my full suspension bike. Strange how we ebb and flow through the things we like and do...

funmachines 08-10-2012 10:09 PM

For quick rides I have two choices - mtn bike or ride the trials bike in the backyard. Real dirt buike riding is an hour away min. Mtn biking does so much more for fitness but moto riding helps my mtn biking more than the other way around.
It's all good.

waycrazy 08-16-2012 12:56 AM

Buckow your nuts.:D