Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dumb Luck (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11464)

Scramble Champ 01-19-2012 10:11 AM

Dumb Luck

Hey Folks,

Hope this post finds everyone and their families well.

Well, like the title states I ended up with a 2010 GG EC300 through pure dumb luck. I had no intention or plans on buying a GG but my buddy wadded himself up on his and needed to temporarily get out of riding for a while (Wife :eek: ) He made me a pretty good deal on the 300 so I bought it. After tweaking a couple of items that he bent and twisted I have final gotten to take it out on a couple of shakedown rides. Wow, is all I can say the motor is absolutely fantastic and the chassis is firmly planted, I throughly impressed. I'm so impressed that I now have my YZ 250 going up for sale soon and I do not know if I will ever look back. My only hope now is that the GG will be as dependable as the YZ but time will tell.

I'm a 6'-2" 230lb 47 year old "Slow B" racer/rider in the sandy state of Florida and have been at it for about 11 years and hopefully have a lot more years left.

I'm looking to use all of y'alls GG knowledge for advice on set-up, do's & don'ts, after market parts, vendors etc....

At the moment I'm looking for Stabilizer recommendations, Rad. guards, numbers/graphics, tall seat and some help with the front and rear springs. With the spring situation I have no ides what the "rate" terminology means so any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All and Ride Safe

SC :)

bukwheat 01-19-2012 12:41 PM

Welcome, Champ! You'll find a wealth of knowledge here. I really can't address you spring questions due to the fact that I always go with the stock springs cause I am at 170#.

As far as the stabilizer/damper, I haven't had a need for one since I got rid of my last KTM and started riding GGs. These bikes seem to be more stable than most. Try riding it a few times without a damper and see what you think. Plus down in Florida, there probably isn't that many rocks and roots to warrant a damper.

Graphics are becoming more plentiful nowadays, it seems. Search on "graphics" and that should give you a few different choices. Seats and covers, EE and Guts are your only choices. I have Guts tall soft on my 300 and like it but with either one, you'll probably be ok.

I think you'll find the reliability is as good or better than anything on the market, bar none. The only thing that I ever ordered to fix a flaw on either of my GGs was a part that Marzocchi screwed up installing a bushing in my 06s forks. The only time you'll need to "look back" is to see the other brands behind you.;):D

GMP 01-19-2012 12:50 PM

Would this be Baily's bike? How is he?

Tlineman 01-19-2012 09:34 PM

Swap the kickstarters before you sell the YZ. The GG one is soft and will fail on you eventually.

I run an EE tall soft seat. EE gets there foam from Gutz and the soft foam is pretty nice

AZRickD 01-19-2012 10:23 PM

Giving Enduro Engineering a first look for that wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Give the forum a look for some very recent discussion on barkbusters, skid plates, etc.

As for the stabilizer, my Gasser is stable at speed so the only reason I have my Scotts damper mounted is for the odd hit on a rock in a sand wash, which has paid dividends a few times.

Jakobi 01-19-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 78069)
Would this be Baily's bike? How is he?

I'm guessing he's his neighbour! Go have a a beer with him for me!

I heard from Bailey at Christmas when I got stick stabbed (which has healed well). Heres our convo before that!

Quote:

Hey man, you wouldn't believe it.. I actually sold the bike to my neighbor. One crashed '10, broken subframe, broken fender, bent wheel, bent bars, broken throttle cable, torn seat, I even bent the silencer.
I took the chance to sell it, as I ride a motorcycle at work on the road 40 hours a week. (Just not a dirt bike).
Anyway thanks for the help and it has been a blast in my 29 years of riding in the dirt. I kept nothing from the bike or any spares. Be careful!!
Bailey
Enjoy the ride Scramble Champ and stay safe! These are great bikes!

ucrtwf 01-19-2012 10:27 PM

Look at my post from yesterday. (2010 ec300 set up) I just went through the whole process. For spring info you can call Richard at House of Horsepower (also called Cannon Racing). He hooked me up ASAP with a 5.4 rear and .48 front springs. I'm 6.0" 225. Cold as heck up in IL right now, headed to Southern Mo next week for a test. Feel free to PM me with questions. I spent a week straight bolting crap on my bike.
Tim

john01 01-19-2012 10:55 PM

Congrats. My son had PG do custom grafix and the quality is top notch. He also runs the Gutts Tall seat and picked it and all new white plastics up from GoFasters; awesome to deal with. We haven't done anything with the stock springs so I can't help with that but it looks like Tim has a suggestion for them. They are extreamly well built and reliable bikes so don't worry about that just enjoy.

Lildawg 01-19-2012 11:40 PM

Scramble Champ, Decal Works does GG graphics and they were solid to work with, and Scorpion makes some of the best radiator guards I've seen.

Scramble Champ 01-21-2012 10:01 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm pretty sure that this is "Baily's" old bike I'm just not positive of his forum tag name.

I put a good ride on it today in the rooty, tight stuff with the motor and chassie working great I just have to do some suspension tweeking.

bukwheat, Thanks for the tips.

GMP, I believe it is.

Tlineman, I'll swap them, thanks and I'll definately be looking to the softer seat after the major case of "Monky Butt" I got today

AZrickD, I'll get a stabalizer cause at some of our races down here we have some high speed cow pastures, we deffinately have some snotty roots and plenty of monster sand whoops/washes.

Jakobi, I'll track him down soon enough and beat him out of a brew. Glad the stab wound has healed.

ucrtwf, thanks for the spring info and not to rub it in but the weather is absolutely perfect down here right now :D

John01, Thanks

Lildawg, thanks for the scorpion tip.

Thanks again for all of the initial help everypn, keep the tips flowing.

SC:)