Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hard cold start (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3127)

rupecopp 08-02-2008 03:21 PM

Hard cold start

I recently rebuilt my 02 ec200, and although it's running great I'm having real problems starting it when cold. I have to pull the choke out a kick it loads of times before it fires into life. Once hot out on the trails it starts no problem, and runs well. I also noticed yesterday if I come back to have a drink and rest it needs choke after its cooled a little when it didn't use to.

I have put a new plug in and checked all there, and also taken the carb of and given it a good clean.

Any ideas what to try next???

RBD 08-03-2008 12:03 PM

It kind of sounds like you are a little lean on the pilot jet.

Ron

rupecopp 08-03-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBD (Post 19556)

Ron

You sure, wasn't doing that before it was rebuilt.

Nick 08-04-2008 10:07 AM

After the rebuild its probably got better vacuum and now the pilot is wrong.

RBD 08-04-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rupecopp (Post 19571)
You sure, wasn't doing that before it was rebuilt.

rupecopp,

Am I sure that is your problem....? Well no...., but I was trying to indicate that it sounds lean to me.

Bringing the rebuild into the picture, I would suggest that you look for a intake air leak or base gasket leak as well.

And as Nick said, it could be possible that the jetting for the worn motor (before the rebuild) is not right for a fresh top end.

The key here is "it didn't do it until the rebuild", so what has changed? You might want to retrace your steps.

Ron

stay_upright 08-05-2008 05:50 AM

If you rebuilt the carb have you moved the air screw position? If so (or if you can't find any airleaks etc) turn it in by 1/2 turn to see if that helps (should richen up idle/starting) if not turn in another 1/2 turn if that doesn't help something's up...

If the bikes are too lean at idle they will normally rev up/surge when they are very hot - any sign of this? - usually after a run on the road or widish throttle opening for a while then stopping or going slow (i.e. bike is on the idle circuit)

vgstef 11-28-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBD (Post 19556)

Ron

do you mean the slow jet ?

2 strokes 4 life 11-28-2008 05:25 PM

Yes the slow jet is leamans terms and pilot is actual term. Also se the air fule mixture screw .5 turuns out from bottom. This should make it rich.

iancp5 11-30-2008 10:54 AM

Don't forget to set the float height before you change stuff.