Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Electrical & Wiring (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   '11 E-start bike batteries (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8503)

compmoto 01-03-2011 11:03 AM

'11 E-start bike batteries

Shorai brand batteries are much lighter, and have ALOT more CA,and a long shelf life also ... yes,we are a dealer for them ... they are lithium iron type batteries...I sent Clay a message about these as well...they aren't more expensive than Yuasa,or others.

Krieg 01-03-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by compmoto (Post 54152)
Shorai brand batteries are much lighter, and have ALOT more CA,and a long shelf life also ... yes,we are a dealer for them ... they are lithium iron type batteries...I sent Clay a message about these as well...they aren't more expensive than Yuasa,or others.

Which one will fit the XC 300? How much weight savings? Cost?

webmaster 01-03-2011 04:08 PM

It looks like it uses the same technology as turn-tech batteries. I put a turn-tech in my husky to save weight.

http://www.turntechbattery.com

One nice feature is that in cold weather the lithium iron phosphate batteries will self heat - so they gain in cranking amps as you hit the button multiple times.

I seriously doubt that these cost less than the yuasa at oem pricing - it looks like these are approximately $100 for the lithium-iron.

As far as weight loss - it is significant - the website says weighs 1/5 of original lead/acid battery (might be a stretch) - a quick way to drop a couple of pounds up high on the bike.

jeff

Krieg 01-03-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 54187)
It looks like it uses the same technology as turn-tech batteries. I put a turn-tech in my husky to save weight.

http://www.turntechbattery.com

One nice feature is that in cold weather the lithium iron phosphate batteries will self heat - so they gain in cranking amps as you hit the button multiple times.

I seriously doubt that these cost less than the yuasa at oem pricing - it looks like these are approximately $100 for the lithium-iron.

As far as weight loss - it is significant - the website says weighs 1/5 of original lead/acid battery (might be a stretch) - a quick way to drop a couple of pounds up high on the bike.

jeff

I checked them out at the Shorai website. Looks like a much slicker package with many more size/capacity choices than Turntech. Much cheaper than Turntech too for a larger capacity. I may have to try one of the 9 A/H for $109.00.

HydroDog 01-03-2011 08:19 PM

I seen the Shorai batteries at the Seattle Cycle Show. I was talking with the sale rep. about them and picked up one that was compairable to a YTZ7s that I thought was just a empty demo. When he told me that that was the real battery :eek: I could not believe it. It felt like a nothing. A friend of mine purchased one and found out that the only draw back is if you have a drain on your electrical system and deplete the charge, that it you can not recharge it.

rosco 01-04-2011 10:15 AM

Why can't it be recharged? Do you mean that the bike won't charge it or it can't be recharged period. I've had NMH batteries get completely drained that would not take a charge. All you have to do is hook another battery up to the charger that has a charge along with the discharged batt. Its almost like the discharged batt. has to be jump started with a good batt. to get it charging again.

HydroDog 01-04-2011 08:30 PM

My friend has tried to charge it with an optimate charger but the most it will charge up to is 7 volts.

Brian 01-04-2011 10:50 PM

Yea unfortunately that is how the lithium-xyz flavor batteries are. If a battery cell gets depleted below some nominal voltage it is effectively dead.

I know with batteries for that Radio Control hobbyists use the chargers and batteries have circuitry to charge the cells evenly and I believe protect the cells from discharging below the that nominal voltage.

iancp5 01-05-2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 54301)
Yea unfortunately that is how the lithium-xyz flavor batteries are. If a battery cell gets depleted below some nominal voltage it is effectively dead.

I know with batteries for that Radio Control hobbyists use the chargers and batteries have circuitry to charge the cells evenly and I believe protect the cells from discharging below the that nominal voltage.

So do you need a special charger? I looked on the Shorai site and they didn't have a charger yet!!! Does the new Optimate 6 charge them?
Maybe you need a Laptop charger! :D

rosco 01-05-2011 10:36 AM

I spoke with a quy from trail tech about their lithiom ion batteries. I was curious if a guy could use the batteries for running the helmet lights on the bike. He said that the charging system on the bike would not work with the lithiom ion batteries. I have been running the NMH batteries and they work just fine.