Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Product Reviews (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Need help deciding... 2018 XC300? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23887)

memphis2857 09-14-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 185772)
Interesting!

I run .45kg/mm main springs and 2.2kg/mm ICS springs on my 2013 with retrofitted KYB. They do give some feedback, but I wouldn't call them harsh. Still yet to ride the 2018 model..

My ONLY complaint was very slow riding. So basically initial stroke. It was like it took a pretty big hit to get the forks started. At typical trail/race pace they are great BUT!, I am running 3 clicks from full soft on the compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wimpy525 09-14-2018 09:03 PM

I was just in a similar situation, its time for a new bike was going to be purchased in the next six months. My old 13 has served me well over the last 5 years once I got the bugs worked out of it.
Started working on getting the bike ready for sale when a found an ad advertising 1000 off the EC's and this dealer had one GP in stock.
I think I have stayed pretty well informed on these 18's, sounds like they have a few teething issues. From what I see here and talk with Budd Matto they had fixes for each of these minor problems, a few that where addressed I had not heard about.
The only thing I am concerned with is the starter, hearing mixed reviews on its performance although I think the fix has been found. I will see, my starter failed on the 13 within 6 months, I think I may have started its demise but the ring gear was never available. If anyone has a ring gear I would buy it.
I was going to look at the KTM's 300 with TPI but was scared away in the fear of problems with the TPI. I also hear so much about the suspension being very tough to get sorted, and the carb bike issues.
So what did I do? Worked out a fair price for the 18 GP and pulled the trigger! The fit and finish is spectacular!
I was leaning hard toward the gasser because of the suspension, KYB's seem to work very well on the YZ's.
The biggest bonus is that I have the bike now and can start getting it ready for the 19 enduro series.
My explanation for what GP stands for is "Gee its Pretty.
So if the deal is right pull the trigger on the 18 if you can wait I'll bet that there will be a few in the states after the first of the year that will be discounted pretty heavy.

Wypipo 09-15-2018 11:42 AM

Most people seem to be talking me into the beta for some reason, probably just because it?s more popular at this point in time. How heavy does the bike feel compared to other 300 2 strokes? I realize it?s towards the heavy end in scale weight but that doesn?t always carry over to the feel of the weight while riding.
Are there any majors between 18 and 19 300s? I?ve talked to a handful of dealers and they all tell me they don?t know which I find odd

Wypipo 09-15-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphis2857 (Post 185776)
My ONLY complaint was very slow riding. So basically initial stroke. It was like it took a pretty big hit to get the forks started. At typical trail/race pace they are great BUT!, I am running 3 clicks from full soft on the compression.

What is your height/weight?

memphis2857 09-15-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wypipo (Post 185783)
What is your height/weight?

6’1” 250

memphis2857 09-15-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wypipo (Post 185782)
Most people seem to be talking me into the beta for some reason, probably just because it?s more popular at this point in time. How heavy does the bike feel compared to other 300 2 strokes? I realize it?s towards the heavy end in scale weight but that doesn?t always carry over to the feel of the weight while riding.

Are there any majors between 18 and 19 300s? I?ve talked to a handful of dealers and they all tell me they don?t know which I find odd

Take all 3 bikes setup the same, full of fuel and you will find the weight differences are minimal.

The GG is super nimble and loves to turn, especially if you get up on the tank.

Not enough difference in the 18 and 19 to justify paying the extra money, or holding out for a 19.

Wypipo 09-16-2018 08:33 PM

Wrap around hand guards needed to protect the bars or are the Renthals pretty strong to hold up against lay downs?

gasgasman 09-16-2018 10:44 PM

The Renthals are very strong.
The wrap around guards will take away the flex action of the bars.