Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best Class 3 hitch carrier? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17142)

brider 04-08-2014 06:08 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm looking at a Rage carrier that looks like it ties down to the reciever rather that offset to either side, I thought at first that wouldn't be efficient, but compressing BOTH front and rear now makes sense.

Front Royalty 04-08-2014 10:20 PM

Mototote.com

I carry my street bike on it is so sturdy!

pscook 04-08-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Front Royalty (Post 132044)
Mototote.com

I carry my street bike on it is so sturdy!

Same here. Incredibly stable, even with a 1989 Honda Hurricane. 1600 miles round trip with no issues. best investment for hauling bikes outside of my van.

Although, I have to say my nephew's $60 aluminum jobber from Cycle Gear is much lighter and meets the minimum for dirt bikes.

lgr 04-09-2014 04:03 AM

I have a mototote also.

Front Royalty 04-09-2014 08:23 AM

Sounds like the mototote wins! Hehe

fst96se 04-09-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscook (Post 132048)
Same here. Incredibly stable, even with a 1989 Honda Hurricane. 1600 miles round trip with no issues. best investment for hauling bikes outside of my van.

Although, I have to say my nephew's $60 aluminum jobber from Cycle Gear is much lighter and meets the minimum for dirt bikes.

I see a 160 dollar version from cycle gear, but not a 60 dollar version. Any links ?

Also, any feedback on the harbor freight hauler ? That one is 80 bucks after coupon...

pscook 04-09-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fst96se (Post 132075)
I see a 160 dollar version from cycle gear, but not a 60 dollar version. Any links ?

Also, any feedback on the harbor freight hauler ? That one is 80 bucks after coupon...

It was on sale from Cycle Gear. The Harbor Freight (I think) is effectively the same as the Cycle Gear in fit and function.

Edit- I just looked at the HF model, and it's pretty similar to what my nephew has. I wouldn't carry a large or heavy motorcycle with it if you are traveling over a bumpy road, but it would work for our bikes on improved roads.

GasGasDreamer 04-09-2014 03:54 PM

i used the one that doesnt use the tires, but rather you put the skid plate on the platform and then jack it up in the air..
really secure, kinda heavy, kinda expensive but really worked great.
you could get a gas can holder too.
i forget the name

fst96se 04-09-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscook (Post 132076)
It was on sale from Cycle Gear. The Harbor Freight (I think) is effectively the same as the Cycle Gear in fit and function.

Edit- I just looked at the HF model, and it's pretty similar to what my nephew has. I wouldn't carry a large or heavy motorcycle with it if you are traveling over a bumpy road, but it would work for our bikes on improved roads.

Thanks! I'll look into the harbor freight one.

bowhunter007 04-09-2014 05:12 PM

I've hammered my Harbor Freight bike hauler, on some pretty bad mountain roads, with my bike on it. Before I used it, I welded all the fasteners, so nuts wouldn't vibrate loose/off. The nuts are Nylocks, but I welded them anyway. The ultimate test, was hauling my DR 650. I would discourage that much weight, but mine survived fine...for what it's worth.

**I use a safety leash around the swing arm, attached to chain catch on the hitch...I once saw a bike come loose and nearly tear away the straps from the bars**