Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do not use Purple Power to clean your air filters (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19156)

Zman 02-22-2015 04:34 PM

Do not use Purple Power to clean your air filters

FYI I found that Purple Power cleaner dissolves the glue that holds some foam air filters together.

Phaeton 02-22-2015 08:21 PM

If your not using No-Toil I highly recommend it. So easy to use I kick myself in the butt for not switching years ago.

AZRickD 02-22-2015 08:29 PM

So it doesn't do well on No Toil glue but is fine on other makes (Twin Air, for example)?

What's the cleaning routine with Purple Power?

memphis2857 02-22-2015 09:31 PM

I just tried the Bel-Ray cleaner for the first time and it works better than anything i have ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swazi_matt 02-22-2015 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaeton (Post 148814)
If your not using No-Toil I highly recommend it. So easy to use I kick myself in the butt for not switching years ago.

I had to kick myself the other day.
Been using notoil for years. But recently bought a new filter to add to the collection. Had a few months off the bike and decided to clean my filters and of course the first filter I chose to wash with notoil cleaner was the pre-oiled twin air I had just bought ... it is really hard to clean normal filter oil with notoil cleaner :-/

lonetree 02-23-2015 02:13 AM

im actually about to go away from no toil after years of trouble free use. i now live in a area with alkiline water and all my filters have fallen apart and had the foam fall to bits... even new ones. only using no toil cleaner.. costing me a fortune in aircleaners, when i used to get years out of em....
going back to belray and kero...... :(:confused:

Dirt Dud 02-23-2015 05:56 AM

I am lucky since I have clean mineral spirits at hand anytime , nothing is better than that .:D

Zman 02-23-2015 06:54 AM

Sorry I do not have a list of the different filters brands that the Purple Power cleaner unglued. The Purple Power is a good engine degreaser but just not good for all air filters. I did buy some of the Belray filter cleaner yesterday in hopes to not come unglued again.

webmaster 02-23-2015 01:36 PM

I have used pj1 aerosol cleaner for a few years - I really like it. Spray it on - squeeze the filter and rinse it off. Totally clean. After it dries - then hit it with aerosol spray oil...

jeff

ScottyR 02-23-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman (Post 148804)
FYI I found that Purple Power cleaner dissolves the glue that holds some foam air filters together.

Been there. Done that. Thanks for sharing.