Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   replaced front wheel bearings, still play (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17046)

thejackrabbit 03-25-2014 03:28 PM

replaced front wheel bearings, still play

I had replaced the front wheel bearings because I could feel play in the wheel side to side. even after replacing the bearings there is still the same amount of play in the wheel.

could my axel be worn out? there were no groves on it.

however my wheel spacers have seen better days could this be the cause of the play?

The old bearings were kinda rough when spinning, but not loose and wobbly like you would expect from worn ones.

swazi_matt 03-25-2014 04:27 PM

Maybe a silly question, but are the Spokes tight?

thejackrabbit 03-25-2014 05:42 PM

yes I check them and they are all tight and have that "ring" to them

einsteingarage 03-25-2014 05:52 PM

Swazi brings up a good point your spokes may feel tight but there could still be play. Take the time to stand stand on each side of the bike and pull and push slowly you should be able to see which bearing has play or if it's the spokes

thejackrabbit 03-25-2014 06:54 PM

I've looked directly at the area where the spacer and the seal fit together and there is definitely still play. the hub and whole wheel assembly move around

twowheels 03-25-2014 07:42 PM

What was your front axle tightening procedure? Is the axle able to preload the bearings?

thejackrabbit 03-25-2014 07:46 PM

if i remember correctly I clamped the left side if looking at the front of the bike, then put the nut on the right side, tightened the right side bolts and loosened the left side. bounced the front a little to set it. then tightened the left side.

Jakobi 03-25-2014 07:47 PM

When you installed the new bearings, how did you do it? Did you ensure they went in straight and worked them in slowly only contacting the outer race? Were they in there nice and firm once seated, or is it possible the hub has been worn a bit and the play is actually the whole bearing rocking in the hub (opposed to the inner race rocking on the axle).

thejackrabbit 03-25-2014 07:57 PM

I had frozen the bearings prior to installing them, Even still the fit had some friction not drop in loose. And I used a correctly sized aluminum bicycle tool i found looks very similar to a socket, yet lines up perfectly with the outer race, I taped them in softly with a soft mallet until the pitch of the ring changed and checked that they were even, flat and correctly seated.

GasGas 03-25-2014 08:36 PM

Loosen pinch bolts on both sides. Tighten the axle nut pretty tight to seat the axle, then tighten the pinch bolts on the axle nut side. Then you can tighten the axle nut to the correct torque. Lastly tighten the pinch bolts on the other fork after lowering bike to floor and compressing the forks a couple cycles.