Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Switching clutch and brake (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25708)

Moto18 09-13-2021 11:20 PM

Switching clutch and brake

Have a question for everyone and see if this can be done. I have arthritis really bad in my left and it affects me using the clutch. I was think switching the brake and clutch lines if possible. This way I can use the clutch side as my brake and vise versa. I have a gasgas mc450 and I also put in a recluse full sip sand love so give me some ideas thanks Dave

swazi_matt 09-14-2021 12:50 AM

I don't see why not. so long as the brake and clutch are compatible with brake fluid it should be as simple as switching the lines over (he said ...)

Anders 09-14-2021 01:13 AM

Most clutch masters are made for mineral oil, but that should be just a case of replacing the seals with seals that tolerate brake fluid.

And then remember to not let anybody else ride the bike ;)

Zman 09-14-2021 07:40 AM

The older GG clutch masters used DOT 4 so you could use the brake master for the clutch provided the piston bore is similar in diameter.

swazi_matt 09-14-2021 03:50 PM

have you thought about the logistics/coordination of riding a bike where you are twisting and clutching at the same time? Not to mention reprogramming your habit of pulling the (now) clutch when you want to stop in an emergency?

Moto18 09-14-2021 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 198793)
have you thought about the logistics/coordination of riding a bike where you are twisting and clutching at the same time? Not to mention reprogramming your habit of pulling the (now) clutch when you want to stop in an emergency?

I?m lucky I don?t us the clutch for shifting so I think I?m in go shape. I think this will make me faster being able to dive into corners faster and later. The only safe way of doing this is having a recluse auto clutch which I love

Gasser Nate 09-14-2021 06:48 PM

I would be fitting up a Clake One light clutch master cylinder. I get a lot of shooting pains up my left arm with a heavy clutch and these things are awesome.

Zman 09-15-2021 07:37 AM

Another option may be to use the rear brake pedal to actuate the front brake or can you put another brake pedal behind your left foot peg to actuate with your heel?.

If you are handy with designing and building,you might be able to set up two brake pedals on the right to cover both the front and rear. A lower pedal with a longer tip could be actuated by itself and the upper shorter tip could actuate both pedals at the same time.

swazi_matt 09-15-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto18 (Post 198794)
I?m lucky I don?t us the clutch for shifting so I think I?m in go shape. I think this will make me faster being able to dive into corners faster and later. The only safe way of doing this is having a recluse auto clutch which I love

ok, but in that case aren't you making it worse? If you have a rekluse i imagine you don't do much clutching, but i would think you use the front brake more often. This will now be switching over to your left hand. As Nate said it may be better to go for a lighter clutch rather.

It would still make for some good fun getting your buddies to ride it on a skills course, a bit like those fairground bicycles where the wheel turns the opposite direction to the handlebars

cbutler 09-15-2021 06:49 PM

I have had a reklus and now have a bike with a Revlok and never touched the clutch lever on either one. Why are you having to mess with the clutch?