Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cylinder clearance (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26107)

Noobi06 04-13-2023 06:45 AM

Cylinder clearance

I am sending in my cylinder for replating. Since I am riding on roads, they adviced me to have my cylinder 0.1mm larger than the piston. Usually, you have about 0.05mm. This is to prevent the rings/piston from catching the wall (heat pinch). It happens sometimes on the road when you switch gears and a lot of people have gotten it when driving up hills etc.
What do you guys think about it? He says it is good and I understand his reasoning, however I am scared that I will loose power.
How much horsepower do you think I will loose? I have about 39 and I do not want to loose too much.
However It will be safer for riding. Can it give other consequences?
Thanks guuys

Darkside 04-13-2023 10:04 AM

I'll admit, I have never heard of that. what would road riding have any difference to dirt riding in terms of the engine? personally, I would stick with the factory recommended clearances.

Anders 04-13-2023 11:20 AM

Road riding will in many cases mean longer periods with wide open throttle, hence higher mean temperature.

A125cc ridden by a youngster on the roads is usually ridden harder than you would do off road.

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

SS109 04-13-2023 04:20 PM

I have never seen nor felt the need to increase piston to cylinder clearance for running a 2T dirt bike on the road. Lots of my club members dual sport and/or have their 250/300's street plated here in Arizona. We've done highway miles and fast dirt roads and I've never seen any bike seize up running stock clearances and on some bikes running as little as 60:1 fuel/oil ratios. The key is in your jetting. Always be on the rich side if you plan on dual sporting your 2T.

Noobi06 04-13-2023 04:21 PM

Do you guys think I should do what he adviced? 0.1mm clearance. This would decrease the risk off heat pinch. According to him, many with the same gasgas ec 125 have driven like 60kmh and from nowhere gotten a pinch so I assume it would be a great idea.
I just dont want to "throw away power". At the same time, its for the better

SS109 04-13-2023 05:18 PM

For a 125, maybe it is a good idea. I might increase it a bit but what they're recommending just seems excessive to me. I would think .07 or .08 and those are some big clearances IMO/IME. I guess, however, I would defer to them if they have actual real world experience with the Gasser 125's.

Noobi06 04-14-2023 10:38 AM

Thanks for the answer. Ill got in the middle at about 0.075

Darkside 04-15-2023 10:49 AM

with more clearance you might get more piston slap. especially as it wears. might need to replace the rings more often

Noobi06 04-15-2023 11:59 AM

Yeah I was thinking that aswell

Noobi06 04-17-2023 02:10 PM

Okey so apparently the cylinder has a cast iron lining which is really bad. We are going to replate it either way and I am going to run a forged piston inside. Bore is going to be 54.5 and piston is going to be 53.5 or 54, something like that.
Now what I wonder is how bad this cast iron lining is? Its an old way of doing this that some owner had done.
How much will it affect the lifetime of my cylinder/pistons?