Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Used GG shopping (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16867)

Skininzipper 03-05-2014 10:40 PM

Used GG shopping

Hello, new guy here.

Ive been shopping for a 300 two stroke to ride the tighter trails with. Please give me some opinions on this craigslist find.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4356064028.html

Rick 03-05-2014 11:18 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Nice clean bike....if the maintenance has been maintained should be a ride.

You'll find plenty of information here.

Good luck.

fletchman45 03-05-2014 11:47 PM

Very clean old bike. Do not quote me talk to a good Gas Gas dealer but if my mind serves me correctly one down fault up to I believe 05 was the transmissions. 05 and newer I believe have a better style transmission that holds up to more abuse. I myself grenaded the tranny on my old gasser with low hours on it and for no apparent reason. But I know of and 05 200 all original and has never even had piston or rings put in it still going strong. May be fine under normal abuse. That bike sure is clean!! Good luck!

webmaster 03-06-2014 01:11 AM

My best friend Les @ LT-Racing told me once "Jeff - remember when buying a used motorcycle that you are buying the 'unused portion'".

I'd say there is a helluva lot there that is "unused".

It is one of the last XC models - GGNA - so it might have the lighter ignition and a higher compression head. If yes, then you might consider adding a flywheel (if not there already).

I loved those old DID U Rims - I wish I could have those on every bike I own...

- Jet it.
- Have the squish dialed in by Ron @ RB-Designs.
- Add a G2 cam throttles....
- Run Rotella 5w40 syn in the tranny and you should have no issues.
- Have the suspension revalved by LT-Racing.
- Throw away the kickstarter and pick one up from a yz yamaha...

... Then use up the "unused portion"... :D

jeff

pscook 03-06-2014 07:13 AM

The fact that you can see the photographer's reflection in the nickel plating says a LOT about the lack of wear and tear on the bike.

Good deal, looks good if everything checks out in person. Typical two stroke/dirt bike watch points (wheel bearings, pipe damage, bent levers).

I owned a 2002 XC300 as well, and it was bullet proof. No issues at all.

iamovru 03-06-2014 10:56 AM

I really like the fact that it is a desert bike and has probably seen little water. I would question 25hrs in 12 years and why. The Gas Gas I have is my first, but I would also question 228lbs. The weight thing is the whole idea Gas Gas gets a bad wrap. Other than those couple things, I feel the price is fair and it looks clean.

Rick 03-06-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 129471)
My best friend Les @ LT-Racing told me once "Jeff - remember when buying a used motorcycle that you are buying the 'unused portion'".

I'd say there is a helluva lot there that is "unused".

It is one of the last XC models - GGNA - so it might have the lighter ignition and a higher compression head. If yes, then you might consider adding a flywheel (if not there already).

I loved those old DID U Rims - I wish I could have those on every bike I own...

- Jet it.
- Have the squish dialed in by Ron @ RB-Designs.
- Add a G2 cam throttles....
- Run Rotella 5w40 syn in the tranny and you should have no issues.
- Have the suspension revalved by LT-Racing.
- Throw away the kickstarter and pick one up from a yz yamaha...

... Then use up the "unused portion"... :D

jeff

+1
I think I would agree with Jeff here, he's been around this brand for a long time.

john r b 03-06-2014 11:08 AM

Guy's isn't that motor counterbalanced?

pscook 03-06-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john r b (Post 129490)
Guy's isn't that motor counterbalanced?

Not from what I understand. '99 was the first year (maybe '98) of the non CB motor. Cases changed again in 2005.

TheLetterJ 03-06-2014 11:38 AM

I bought my '01 XC300 in similar condition (still on good original tires) with a bunch of extras already on it for $1650 (also in SoCal) about 2 years ago. I love the bike and feel that I got an excellent deal on it, but a stock one for more money doesn't sound like the deal of the century to me. If you could pick it up for less than $2000 and it is a bike that you truly want, I think that would be fair.