Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Techniques & Training (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Who's to blame? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19708)

2taddict 05-28-2015 07:24 AM

Who's to blame?

OK. Lets say your in an event and you crash into another rider, slower, has mechanical failure or is stuck in a bog hole etc.
Who's fault is it.
Theirs for being a unnatural obstacle?
Or yours for not being vigilant?

pscook 05-28-2015 08:03 AM

It's a racing incident. If anyone is hurt, both riders need to have a conversation with each other, if possible. It's okay to feel bad about it (if it's your fault), but if it isn't your fault you need to accept the consequences of being involved in a race event and "stuff happens."

2taddict 05-28-2015 07:11 PM

I am interested in peoples different opinions so I'll throw this out there.

OK. Lets say your in an event and you crash into another rider, slower, has mechanical failure or is stuck in a bog hole etc.
Who's fault is it.

A) Theirs for being a unnatural obstacle?
B) yours for not being vigilant?
D) Both of the above?
C) None S#!T happens?

webmaster 05-28-2015 07:28 PM

I added a poll to this thread so it will keep a tally...

I voted you are the responsible one if overtaking a stalled/stuck rider. If you are faster you should at least act like the better rider? Right?

jeff

gasser 05-28-2015 07:51 PM

Sorry Jeff but I lay the blame on anyone who takes polls.

webmaster 05-28-2015 08:46 PM

You got me there!!!! :)

Jeff

gasgasman 05-28-2015 09:33 PM

A rider that has issues,(and is able) should go back on the trail and warn riders of the trail obstruction.

pscook 05-28-2015 09:36 PM

To qualify my answer, and to tag onto Jeff's great comment, I always fall back on the skiers credo and the track day mantra:
"It is the passing rider's responsibility to make a safe pass."

If you are passing a stuck rider, you are to blame for the incident. You should take care and caution when passing, especially a stuck rider. If you were hit due to being stuck, and you were just sitting there and not all over the trail or doing anything weird, then it is their fault.

But, it's racing. Not racing? Then it's avoidable, unless you did something stupid.

gasgasxc 05-28-2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 153229)
I added a poll to this thread so it will keep a tally...

I voted you are the responsible one if overtaking a stalled/stuck rider. If you are faster you should at least act like the better rider? Right?

jeff

Agreed.
In the racing world I live in experts dont take out amatuers.The better rider is 100% responsible for taking out a slower, less skilled, tired, injured, frustrated, bent bike ,whatever rider, he sets the tone for a given situation.
Also how you pass and the ettiquette you use to pass will go a long ways.Revving the engine, yelling or hounding a rider(usually when they cant get over anyway) is all B.S and will only lead to problems eventually
And the truly faster rider will get around him easily.
Also dont go all out just to pass a guy or two then drop off the pace and get caught.Make it stick.

Slower riders have a right to race also.They should be passed where both riders can maintain as much pace as is feasibly possible.

desertgasser300 05-28-2015 10:31 PM

Rubbin is racin!