Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Product Reviews (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Info Needed - Trials Tire Comparison for Trials Bike (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11088)

GasGasDreamer 11-23-2011 11:39 AM

Info Needed - Trials Tire Comparison for Trials Bike

hi,
i am looking for any personal info, or links, for comparing trials tires on trials bikes and not necessary on enduro bikes.
i run pirelli trials on both front and rear of my ec300 and absolutely love them.
i have a gasgas '01 txt 280 trials bike that needs new rubber and i wanted to get some info before my purchase.
what it comes down to is that a quality like sidewall stiffness that is 'good' on an enduro bike does not mean that it is 'good' on a trials bike.
i think pirelli designed their trials tires for enduros and not trials, hence the much stiffer sidewall.
i know this isnt the best website for this info but i would appreciate any leads and info.
thanks all

Fred1956 11-23-2011 11:41 AM

IMO a Michelin X-Lite is the best tire 'hands down' for a trials bike. Literally wraps itself around anything laying in the way.....They DO NOT work well on enduros bikes My .02 worth

cascade_crawler 11-23-2011 11:44 AM

I have the michelin on my txt, works very well. Dunlop also works well, nice and soft.

HuskyDude 11-23-2011 12:19 PM

You can't go wrong with Michelin X-Lite. It's 500grams lighter than the existing X11. Nice soft side walls, grips very well.
I've only tried a Dunlop D803 on the rear once. It was OK but I much prefer the Michelin even the older X11 is a great tire.
I have a new Mitas ET-01 TL Trials. I'm thinking on trying on my EC300 next.
Cheap tire stiffer side walls OK for and enduro, it's just a little to wet and snowy right now.:D

kaos 11-23-2011 07:26 PM

the mich tires are the benchmark,and the x11 is a bit more reasonable than the lite.had good luck with the dunlops,although thy are known for the knobs ripping off.dunlops can be aired down more than the mich as their sidewalls a little stiffer(1-2 lbs lower).irc has a new trials tire out and its also quite soft,only ran it on my enduro soo far ,but would rate it better than the dunlop and as soft as the mich with better duarbility

eff 11-24-2011 06:34 AM

This is written for enduro bikes but it does provide great info

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/14...son/index.html

2whlrcr 11-24-2011 06:40 PM

I compete in trials and also have used trials tires on my enduro bikes. I use the Dunlops on my trials bike, mainly because they are cheaper than the Mich. I think they are fine for the average competitior.

I also have used Dunlops on my enduro bikes and they work well in the right conditions. Anything but lots of mud and fast grass tracks. I have also used the Pirellis on my enduro bikes and they last longer than the Dunlops and have a stiffer sidewall, so if you flat, you can still ride on them. They do not stick quite as well as the Dunlops.

Eric K 11-27-2011 11:30 AM

I have experimented with various knob removal patterns to improve trials tire traction in mud and loose rocks/soil. This pattern has worked best for me...

. O O X O O X O O X O O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
. O O X O O X O O X O O

O intact knob
X removed knob

2whlrcr 11-27-2011 12:41 PM

I have experimented too. This didn't work so good in the mud.:D

http://mmcconaughy.smugmug.com/photo...8_2ywWd-XL.jpg

MrBlah 11-27-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric K (Post 74945)
I have experimented with various knob removal patterns to improve trials tire traction in mud and loose rocks/soil. This pattern has worked best for me...

. O O X O O X O O X O O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
. O O X O O X O O X O O

O intact knob
X removed knob

I've been waiting for this post, I figured eventually someone would cut knobs and experiment

how much different is it? Does it help with the tire loading up and skidding when you brake hard?

Eric K 11-30-2011 09:02 AM

The big improvement is forward thrust in mud and loose rock.

Braking is a bit better.

It doesn't load up with mud as bad. The key too clearing mud out of a trials tire is to run low pressure. This way the tire flexes and opens up after contact with the ground.

GMP 11-30-2011 09:54 AM

I would think that the remaining knobs may be more prone to shearing off. Stock, the forces on a hard surface like a rock would be limited by adhesion and distributed across several knobs. Modified, you now have more side knob contact, and potentially more force transmitted through the knobs. Being the knobs/compound is very soft and not designed to be loaded in this manner, it could be a weak point. Eric has been doing this so I guess he knows for sure. I will try it with a used tire and see how it holds up in the rocks.

MrBlah 11-30-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 75158)
I would think that the remaining knobs may be more prone to shearing off. Stock, the forces on a hard surface like a rock would be limited by adhesion and distributed across several knobs. Modified, you now have more side knob contact, and potentially more force transmitted through the knobs. Being the knobs/compound is very soft and not designed to be loaded in this manner, it could be a weak point. Eric has been doing this so I guess he knows for sure. I will try it with a used tire and see how it holds up in the rocks.

I wouldnt cut a comp tire, but I may try a MT43 they are a lot stronger

Keg 11-30-2011 07:29 PM

It might be worth trying a Vee Rubber. They are a lot like the michelin in carcuss and knob feel.

Some more cost conscience people use them in trials and flat trackers prefer them over Pirelli.

Vee Rubber are also now making a 19" for MX'ers wanting to do flat track.

lankydoug 11-30-2011 08:13 PM

If you're looking for a cross between a knobby and a trials instead of cutting knobs why not try one of these? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Some are saying that this tire with the Tubliss is a good combo.

GMP 11-30-2011 09:16 PM

Trials tires are used for the radial design that allows a lot of flex and large contact patch, and the sticky compound. Without this, there is no point in going with a close spaced tire like that shown, at least for technical riding.

MrBlah 12-01-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lankydoug (Post 75184)
If you're looking for a cross between a knobby and a trials instead of cutting knobs why not try one of these? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

they do not flex like an mt43

2whlrcr 12-01-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lankydoug (Post 75184)

I have used that tire on my 640 DS bike. They work good on heavier bikes that see plenty of street use. They work OK in the dirt, wear like iron and are cheap. But they are no comparison to a trials tire or real knobby that's used on an off road bike.

HuskyDude 12-01-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBlah (Post 75210)
they do not flex like an mt43

I run the Kenda K270 on my TE510. I love that tire! Although it may not flex exactly like a trials tire. I'll tell if you rim locks are snug and you run very low psi (6-8psi). It a great tire and they DO flex quite nicely.:D

They wear well and are dirt cheap (around $60). But I'm not 100% convinced on running one on my 300 yet. Like stated above I have a Mitas trials I want to try first.

lankydoug 12-01-2011 09:48 AM

I'm too happy with my MT43 to switch but I thought the Kenda 270 might work better in the slick mud and brake sliding with Tubliss and about 4psi.

Eric K 12-04-2011 08:43 AM

If you want trials tire like traction with a knobby try the Metzeler Unicross with the Tubliss. The Metz Unicross sidewalls are much softer than most knobby tires giving it a lot more flexibility to adhere to different surfaces. I have run at various pressures.

I have run trials tires for 9 years on my 01 GasGas XC300 and for 3 years on my 06 EC300, including the Michelin, Dunlop, IRC & Mitas radial trials tires. The Mitas was all around the best performer for me.

I have ridden the Metzeler/Tubliss for 1387 miles over 2+ years on my 06 EC300. I ran pressure down as low as 4 psi. I found 6 psi to be the sweet spot for traction and higher speed control. For comparison, I had the Mitas ET-01 trials tire on my 01 XC300 normally at 6.5 psi with a HD tube.

The most difficult conditions where I ride are mostly greasy, wet clay and occasional snow/ice. In same day, same location, back to back comparison riding between my 2 GasGas 300's. One with a Mitas trials tire and one with the Unicross this is what I found: On the greasy clay the Metzeler/Tubliss at 5-6 psi is very comparable to the Mitas at 6.5 psi. On glare ice, they both have difficulty hooking up. In deeper snow, the Metzeler has a clear advantage. In loose rock the Metzeler has a clear advantage. It pulls harder and straighter. On solid, exposed rock the Mitas had a slight advantage. In sand the Mitas has an advantage. Cornering clearly goes to the Metzeler. It is more stable and predictable in hard, leaned over cornering.

GMP 12-04-2011 11:09 AM

Tubliss pushes some knobbys close to the trials tire performance for sure. An MT-16 with Tubliss at 6 PSI is excellent as well. In pure rock though the trials rules and saves me a lot of $$ in trashed tires.

trialsridr 12-08-2011 05:55 PM

To offer an opinion on the original question. I agree the dunlop works great for the average competitor on a trials bike for roughly half the money of a Michelin . I could tell little difference between the two if any . I think Jeff Aaron won his last couple national championships with them and I will buy the dunlops again when I need another pair.

swazi_matt 12-09-2011 01:13 AM

I run tubliss here, but find i have to use tires with reinforced sidewall to avoid sidewall cuts, like the mitas c18

HuskyDude 12-09-2011 08:55 AM

I've had that problem with the Michelin X11's before. Even punched a small stick right through the side wall.
But in all fairness the tire was a few years old and showed signs of side wall cracking:D

2whlrcr 12-09-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trialsridr (Post 75662)
To offer an opinion on the original question. I agree the dunlop works great for the average competitor on a trials bike for roughly half the money of a Michelin . I could tell little difference between the two if any . I think Jeff Aaron won his last couple national championships with them and I will buy the dunlops again when I need another pair.

Hey Xenia guy, do you know John Manly?

trialsridr 12-10-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whlrcr (Post 75687)
Hey Xenia guy, do you know John Manly?

I do not know him