Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Considering the Kiwi Move (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22858)

swazi_matt 08-07-2017 02:52 AM

Considering the Kiwi Move

So getting itchy feet and New Zealand keeps popping up on the radar, so trying to get some bike info.
i know there is a decent dirt biking community in NZ, but where are the best areas for riding (not necessarily racing, more in terms of freedom to ride and open riding areas).

I am a Civil Engineer and there is a demand, i also have 2 small boys in primary school so need to be near somewhere with decent schools etc

Lastly everything seems expencive in NZ so any info on importing bikes with me would be welcomed

(F5) 08-07-2017 03:31 AM

It not an enormous country so most areas are farmland or forestry land. Kinda need permission to ride there or people get upset.
Most of our riding these days is organised trail rides by clubs on a marked out track typically about 25-30km per loop with optional a loops, or longer rides with up to 80km loops.
Or enduros or MX.
I live in Wellington so most rides I do involve driving 1 to 1.5 hrs to get there. There isn't much riding in the middle of winter unless you want to drive further.
Auckland you will always have to drive, its a jungle of congestion.
Christchurch is nice but it gets another level of cold down there and even the North island will be a temperature shock.

But I love the riding and the area.

The road riding is neat too.

Yeah things aren't cheap. Can't have everything.

swazi_matt 08-07-2017 02:28 PM

Thanks. I know I will battle to find anywhere with the riding freedom we have here. But how did Chris Birch get so good?

(F5) 08-07-2017 08:34 PM

Trials riding.

gg3 08-07-2017 10:38 PM

Hi ,
Plenty of good events & bike parks within 2hrs of central North Island.Work with 2 SA guys & they often say how much more it costs here.That's the price you pay for a minimum wage & workers rights.

Simmo737 08-08-2017 02:54 AM

I am an Aussie, but go to the South Island every year at least, the country is amazing, the people are awesome and the food, wine and activities are unsurpassed, if the wages in my industry weren't so low compared to oz, I'd be there in a flash.... I'd even go to crusaders or Otago matches if I had to.

I have a close mate who's kids go to boarding school in Christchurch and he rates the education standard higher than oz.

And last of all, the whole South Island looks like a natural terrain mx track, there is bound to be good riding. Just by a coat.

swazi_matt 08-08-2017 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg3 (Post 178389)
Hi ,
Plenty of good events & bike parks within 2hrs of central North Island.Work with 2 SA guys & they often say how much more it costs here.That's the price you pay for a minimum wage & workers rights.

Would i be right in assuming they are comparing to SA prices? I imagine the salaries in NZ (based on all the punting about best work/life balance) are fine for a NZ employee with a decent job such that you would be able to buy some toys and still live a similar life to in SA?

I think i should stop asking these questions on a bike forum though or i will never go. 2hrs to go to a riding spot is hardly ever done here (bearing in mind you can just about cross the country W-E in 2hrs) I normally just ride from home and within 2km i am in open terrain

gg3 08-08-2017 03:03 AM

yeah comparing with SA prices.

hadfield4wd 08-08-2017 08:33 AM

I'd love to move to NZ.

(F5) 08-08-2017 08:02 PM

When (if) I get more time I'd like to dirt ride down the south island. Been there on road bike many times in the past and it is beautiful. We just don't admit it in presence of mainlanders as they refer to themselves. There's still great riding up here. An engineer should get good money in the right place. But still not as much as a slimey salesman. But that's always the case

hadfield4wd 08-08-2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 178410)
When (if) I get more time I'd like to dirt ride down the south island. Been there on road bike many times in the past and it is beautiful. We just don't admit it in presence of mainlanders as they refer to themselves. There's still great riding up here. An engineer should get good money in the right place. But still not as much as a slimey salesman. But that's always the case

Unfortunately there are not jobs there for "slimey salesman". And even not so slimey ones. Otherwise I would apply.

(F5) 08-09-2017 01:08 AM

Ahh, you need a conscience extraction.

swazi_matt 08-09-2017 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmo737 (Post 178392)
I am an Aussie, but go to the South Island every year at least, the country is amazing, the people are awesome and the food, wine and activities are unsurpassed, if the wages in my industry weren't so low compared to oz, I'd be there in a flash.... I'd even go to crusaders or Otago matches if I had to.

I have a close mate who's kids go to boarding school in Christchurch and he rates the education standard higher than oz.

And last of all, the whole South Island looks like a natural terrain mx track, there is bound to be good riding. Just by a coat.

maybe from these guys lol
http://www.swazi.co.nz/product-category/mens/jackets/

hadfield4wd 08-09-2017 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 178418)
Ahh, you need a conscience extraction.

Haha maybe.

gg3 08-10-2017 12:51 AM

Hi Swazi, Civil Engineers are in demand.In light of recent political activity in SA,maybe a move is a wise decision before you have to move?Just fill a container with bikes when you come.

swazi_matt 08-11-2017 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg3 (Post 178430)
Hi Swazi, Civil Engineers are in demand.In light of recent political activity in SA,maybe a move is a wise decision before you have to move?Just fill a container with bikes when you come.

Not sure which of the many possibilities you are talking about lol. Maybe the 8th vote of no confidence in their president or the state capture by the guptas or worst of all the gas gas agent not bringing in the 2018 bikes

In Swaziland it is generally very safe and peaceful but we don't have the luxury of an active constitution just an absolute monarch who is buddies with other remaining despots from places like equatorial guinnea and gadaffi (before he was taken out) and corruption everywhere is the big thing that gets me as I have my own company and it is looking more and more like I will need to choose to seriously downsize or play the game

swazi_matt 08-11-2017 01:06 AM

How is the kids (and adults) trials scene in nz? Might be something I could get into

Also what are the requirements for dirt bikes? Do they need to be licensed or would I have as much trouble at no customs importing a used lawnmower?

(F5) 08-11-2017 03:29 AM

There is an active trials scene here but it is super amateur club level. Ideal for kids. Unlikely to impress visitors. But some good riders emerge as there is great obstacles in this hilly terrain.

Don't have to register dirtbikes at all.

Can join kiwibiker.co.nz. mostly a roadbike forum but there's a visitors section and many questions are already posted. Be prepared to have thick skin, we take the piss out of each other, but ts all largely tongue in cheek.

Harry 08-14-2017 05:44 PM

Hi Swazi,

Check your PM

HArry

swazi_matt 08-15-2017 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry (Post 178513)
Hi Swazi,

Check your PM

HArry

No PM, but sent you my email address
thanks
M

04 EC250 09-30-2017 03:17 AM

Riding in NZ

Hey Swazi.

I started riding in Natal and the Drakensburg back when I was a lot younger. Trail riding in SA is pretty good but some of the rides I've done around Christchurch are pretty decent.

Check out myrides website and they list trail-ride dates for NZ. Suzuki trails do the majority around Canterbury. There is also the Waimak area set aside for dirt bikes....

Hope that helps

swazi_matt 09-30-2017 03:32 AM

Thanks.

Had just decided to take a kind of sabbatical to Peru (where my wife is from) for the kids to learn Spanish and now have a Skype interview with a nz consulting firm next week (midnight my line ) so let's see what happens

swazi_matt 02-12-2018 03:08 AM

So things are moving along, will be going to Auckland for a looksee week next week and a few interviews.
One is for a job in Hamilton. current research looks like it will suit my family needs, but not sure about my biking needs - may have to switch to engineless 2 wheels

twowheels 02-12-2018 08:34 AM

Will you still be swazi_matt, or will that necessarily change to kiwi_matt?

Good hunting in any case ;)

swazi_matt 02-12-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twowheels (Post 181467)
Will you still be swazi_matt, or will that necessarily change to kiwi_matt?

Good hunting in any case ;)

Haha ... maybe ... but you know what they say. You can take the monkey out of the jungle but you can never take the jungle out of the monkey

swazi_matt 03-19-2018 12:15 AM

So as of mid June I will be a Hamilton local.

Not sure how long it will be before I get a Bike but I see there is a gg dealer in Hamilton :)

twowheels 03-19-2018 12:46 AM

Congratulations!

It doesn't sound like there is much hope for white guys in South Africa, and perhaps by extension Swaziland, so getting out before August seems like a good move.

tonyraft 03-19-2018 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 181952)

Not sure how long it will be before I get a Bike but I see there is a gg dealer in Hamilton :)

Moving to the Tron !!! Will let you work it out what the rest of the country say about the Tron , if you ever get to the Deep South come look us up and I'll take you riding !
Tony

(F5) 03-19-2018 03:38 AM

Queenstown? I'm assuming that's an open invite. You have a couch? I might just pop in for a few weeks. I'll bring the family, we worked out a holiday would overstretch the budget just in accommodation. Hope you're near town. I drink a bit so stock up. I'm a bit fussy so Craft only if you don't mind.

Oh yeah. And welcome Matt. Tron is ok, just gets stick from Aucklanders who have big city snobbery of closest neighborhood.

RBrider 03-19-2018 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 181952)

Hope it all works out well for you & family.

It sounds like you've got your priorities in order seeing how you've located the closest GG dealer.:)

Best wishes for the future.

RB

swazi_matt 03-21-2018 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twowheels (Post 181953)
Congratulations!

It doesn't sound like there is much hope for white guys in South Africa, and perhaps by extension Swaziland, so getting out before August seems like a good move.

Swaziland has a different set of problems, the whites have always been the minority here and have never been in power so very different to SA, but there are already some of the bad elements of SA filtering through. Will be nice to be operating in the worlds least corrupt country where i actually will get something in return for my tax.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyraft (Post 181954)
Moving to the Tron !!! Will let you work it out what the rest of the country say about the Tron , if you ever get to the Deep South come look us up and I'll take you riding !
Tony

South Island? riding looks awesome there so will def need to make a trip

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 181955)
Queenstown? I'm assuming that's an open invite. You have a couch? I might just pop in for a few weeks. I'll bring the family, we worked out a holiday would overstretch the budget just in accommodation. Hope you're near town. I drink a bit so stock up. I'm a bit fussy so Craft only if you don't mind.

Oh yeah. And welcome Matt. Tron is ok, just gets stick from Aucklanders who have big city snobbery of closest neighborhood.

Don't worry it is something i picked up on when i was there and came to a similar conclusion, I even took a 2hr bus ride each way to spend about 2 hrs in the Tron just to see for myself! The company i will be working for actually offered me a position in Auckland as well, but i turned it down mostly based on cost of housing etc in the big (little) city.

My wife also preferred the option of hamilton because it is not in the centre of the earthquakes and far enough from the sea to avoid any tsunamis lol (you can see she is a bit paranoid!)

Yep priorities are sorted (just need to sort out the finances now) - the only guy i know in NZ actually rides with Chris Birch most weekends which unfortunately is a different league (unless i really put that NZ friendliness to the test by changing a 3hr Chris Birch ride to a 12hr Chris Birch and his buddies buddy ride lol) but hopefully some of his skills will rub off by association

barossi73 03-21-2018 02:48 PM

Good decision,your wife may have been a little stressed when she found out that Auckland is sitting in/on a nest of volcanoes!

swazi_matt 06-22-2018 12:47 AM

Visa approved and in a few weeks I will become kiwi_matt

swazi_matt 06-22-2018 12:51 AM

and because I am battling to sell my bike here (with the regional dealer only selling parts and not bikes) I am squeezing my bike into the container as well.

Contacted the Hamilton gg dealer and no pipes available (crushed it so bad at Enduro-x last weekend I had to use a hammer to remove it :-( ) how is the gg representation and spares availability in nz? Should I have any issues there? Will I be able to sell/trade-in later?

So many questions so little time

(F5) 06-22-2018 03:23 AM

Nah there's stuff around just have to look. TradeMe is our local ebay equivalent.

Geez it was winter solstice yesterday so it's pretty cold which will take a while to get used to. But today was clear and cold . Brought a smile to my face. And you have to try the craft beer here.

swazi_matt 06-22-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 183897)
Nah there's stuff around just have to look. TradeMe is our local ebay equivalent.

Geez it was winter solstice yesterday so it's pretty cold which will take a while to get used to. But today was clear and cold . Brought a smile to my face. And you have to try the craft beer here.

Fate pushed my start date forwards, the plus being it will be moving into summer.

I will be a bachelor for the first few weeks so will definitely be going all out on finding a new favorite beer ... well thats if i have any money left after all the hemorrhaging i have done in getting to this point!

As much as i like my bike i really was looking forward to being able to get a new one.

but more importantly what is it with NZ not liking pets? I am really battling to find somewhere to rent that allows pets. Some blatantly discriminate against dogs ... are they not aware that they are commonly known as "mans best friend" lol

scotty606 06-22-2018 08:02 AM

We'll also be making the move to NZ.
Fly out on 11th July.

Should be based in Cambridge.
Is there much riding in Waikato area?

Once we are all settled & on our feet will defiantly get back on the bike.
Hopefully get some racing in, give the locals a run ;-)

swazi_matt 06-22-2018 09:07 AM

I almost tagged you and thought i shouldn't

... PS from what i saw when i went there within a week you will be considered a local too