Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   2011 ec rear shock replacement (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23253)

Silky9153 01-19-2018 03:57 PM

2011 ec rear shock replacement

The rear shock on my 2011 ec250 has went for the 3rd time in a matter of months, only just fitted tonight and aas soon as the shaft is compressed it leaks a bucket full of oil.

Would anyone know what other years had the same shock fitment as my model?

Jacob 'Berg 01-19-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silky9153 (Post 181057)
The rear shock on my 2011 ec250 has went for the 3rd time in a matter of months, only just fitted tonight and aas soon as the shaft is compressed it leaks a bucket full of oil.

Would anyone know what other years had the same shock fitment as my model?

Are you replacing the seal head with the seal each time?

You may also want to consider sending the shock to Ohlins USA for service.

webmaster 01-19-2018 10:44 PM

Given that he fitted the shock instead of mounting it I would guess this gentleman is in the British Isles.

Jeff

Silky9153 01-20-2018 04:58 AM

Its been left in with the local shock expert in my area for fixing each time, hes assured me that hes replaced all seals each time hes serviced it and that the shock body itself may be worn out. The bike has 200hours on it i wouldnt of thought that would be enough for the body to be that badly worn

masterbill 01-20-2018 06:10 AM

Hello,

Does this shock have the spherical bearing in the top mount ?

I had similar trouble with my 2007 300 - I have now taken it to an Ohlins service centre. He said the problem was that top mount bearing had seized.
he also said that if it's worn inside that you can get the parts.

Silky9153 01-20-2018 10:21 AM

Hi masterbill, i believe it does have the spherical bearing for the top mount, if thats the issue with mine then hopefully itll be an easy fixed. The shock was only weeping lightly when i brought it for its first service, now its been tampered with it floods out all the time when pressure is applied

swazi_matt 01-20-2018 10:42 AM

Maybe time to try a different “expert”. My 2010 sachs has over 300hrs and is still on the original seals. All services done by myself and I am no expert

Silky9153 01-20-2018 12:32 PM

Think ill give that a try, id just find it too heartbreaking to rebuild it again for the same to happen, ive just purchased an ohlins of ebay thats been revalved by house of horsepower in the usa, with abit of luck thatll stop me from crying

Jakobi 01-20-2018 03:09 PM

The Sachs seals are pretty reliable; you don't often hear of them leaking. The ohlins tend to give a bit more.

Your expert shouldn't be saying the internals 'may' be worn out. He has had it apart. Any wear or damage to the seal head/shaft/shock body should easily be picked up upon inspection.. and part of his job should be inspecting these items.

It's possible the new seal is getting damaged during assembly. The lip on the shaft is very sharp and unless if you dull it and carefully fit the sealhead (or use a tool) it's easy to damage things.

I'd be asking exactly what was replaced? Just the xring? The sealhead? The bushing? Was there any wearing of the anodizing of the shock body? etc. Now that you have a replacement you could perhaps have him inspect the following at his expense given that you've already had him have 3 failed attempts. Most legit tuners would be as equally concerned that their workman ship has failed.