Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Head bolts - no access? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2493)

eff 04-04-2008 07:47 PM

Head bolts - no access?

My top-end job got stopped before even got the head off. I can't get a wrench on the front right bolt. WTF :mad: That really pisses me off because it's bad engineering.

Now I assume I'm not the only one with this issue, but I'm shocked that no one has posted about it before. What are you guys doing to get the bolt off and better yet how in the hell do you torque the thing?

Thanks for the help.

steve 04-04-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eff (Post 15491)
My top-end job got stopped before even got the head off. I can't get a wrench on the front right bolt. WTF :mad: That really pisses me off because it's bad engineering.

Now I assume I'm not the only one with this issue, but I'm shocked that no one has posted about it before. What are you guys doing to get the bolt off and better yet how in the hell do you torque the thing?

Thanks for the help.

My '06 has room,what year is yours?Maybe grind a wrench with a short pipe.

eff 04-04-2008 09:38 PM

Mine is an '04. I guess I'm going to have to pick a box-end and grind it down.

blitz11 04-05-2008 05:02 AM

And when you're done, replace the Hex Head Bolts with Allen or Torx. That way, clearance won't be a problem next time.

It isn't a problem, it's an opportunity to modify and make it better. My 2002 used Allen bolts, so you can probably include those in your GG order. S

Sometimes newer isn't better.

blitz

eff 04-05-2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitz11 (Post 15500)
And when you're done, replace the Hex Head Bolts with Allen or Torx. That way, clearance won't be a problem next time.

It isn't a problem, it's an opportunity to modify and make it better.
blitz

Good perspective and that would make the problem go away.

steve 04-05-2008 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eff (Post 15496)
Mine is an '04. I guess I'm going to have to pick a box-end and grind it down.

Use a good wrench so not to strip the bolt!!!!!

GMP 04-05-2008 08:29 AM

You have to take the spigot off the head first. Always get a new gasket for that with the other parts. For the front cylinder studs under the PV covers, you have to grind a box wrench down slightly.

eff 04-05-2008 11:41 AM

The spigot wasn't my issue. It was the base for the spigot and the front motor mount, but mostly due to the spigot base on the head. It seems the area just need to be machined away a bit. I ground down a box wrench and it worked like a charm.

Anyways, I have the bolt loose and will start over tonight when my wife goes to work (license to play on the dirt bike).

eff 04-05-2008 04:11 PM

Not much activity on here today. So I'll post some progress. Took the power valve covers and I was shocked at how clean it is in there.:) My pipe is always spoogy and I figured my power valve would be too.

iancp5 04-06-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eff (Post 15491)

That's odd I can get one on