Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   New Zealand - WTB 2018/18 EC250 or 300 (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25886)

swazi_matt 05-12-2022 05:05 PM

New Zealand - WTB 2018/18 EC250 or 300

Hi Anyone on here know of any 2018/19 bikes for sale in NZ?
Preferably north island

There was one advertised in Thames a while back on trade me but not seen it advertised again.
would possibly also consider a beta x-trainer too

(F5) 05-14-2022 02:53 AM

Why would you consider a XTrainer before the RR? Height will be same as GG 19

Reiju dealer is in Taupo. May have traded on older GG?

swazi_matt 05-14-2022 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 200014)
Why would you consider a XTrainer before the RR? Height will be same as GG 19

Reiju dealer is in Taupo. May have traded on older GG?

Because I know you have one ;-) lol

Main reason is that I liked the one I rode back home, but think it might not be as much fun in the NI grass and mud. Also could let my son ride my txt at trials and I just use the xtrainer

Anyway took my txt to berm buster this weekend and that was fun. Did ten million squats on the whooped out track but the single track was awesome on the trials bike.
I also took the demo ktm 300, 150 and husky 250, 150 for quite a few laps of the demo loop
And a few months ago demoed the Yamaha enduro range. The outcome is that I am a 2t guy, and a linkage guy and also a smaller engine guy. The 150’s are really awesome as was the 125x. Yamaha definitely has far superior suspension but the 125 motor is less forgiving if you miss a gear change

I might start adding 200rr into the mix.

I am looking for something that will be fun on a short enduro loop to get me back into shape which in turn will make the odd trip to the hard stuff in coromandel more enjoyable

Didn’t know there was a rieju dealer in nz. Who is it?
Also going to contact beta to see if they have any demo bikes. I am not in a huge rush so taking the opportunity to test them all … and then buy second hand lol

(F5) 05-16-2022 02:31 AM

I was at BermBuster the month before. Took the TXT I just picked up (a 14) around the short loop but around the silver loop a couple of times. Was great. But. Got a bit of a sore back on the long transport sections wishing for a seat and more travel. Had done some loops already on my GG.

The XTRAINER needs suspension work to be effective. Just about there with local guy. Fair bit of work though. Mate just bought a RR race, looking forward to trying it somewhere I don't need to touch the ground.

Think it's daryl August in Taupo but not showing on their site. I'd asked the distributor and they answered. I'll have to go look at my old emails on work account.

gg3 05-17-2022 12:39 AM

We have a Reiju dealer in NZ?
Looking at buying a new bike later in the year & replacing my 2018 XC300.But I might keep as it may be the last carb bike I have. Also went to a Yamaha demo day & really liked the YZ250FX which surprised me.

(F5) 05-17-2022 08:01 PM

Having lunch, I'll check my email response when I get back to desk. Maybe it fell through.

(F5) 05-17-2022 08:44 PM

Yeah early October they said Darryl August just on board. Have to talk to them to confirm I guess.

swazi_matt 05-18-2022 03:41 PM

thanks will be worth taking them for a test if he has any, but i honestly thinki am leaning towards a 200.

I don't think there is much rock crawling that suits a 300 around this part of the island so leaning towards fun-factor bike now

Anders 05-23-2022 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 200028)
thanks will be worth taking them for a test if he has any, but i honestly thinki am leaning towards a 200.

I don't think there is much rock crawling that suits a 300 around this part of the island so leaning towards fun-factor bike now

When you say 200, are you talking of a Beta RR200? As GG / Rieju 200 of that vintage is rare to say the least.

The reason for asking, is of course that I wonder what bike is going to be my next one. My 2015 EC200 is close to 400 hours now.

swazi_matt 05-23-2022 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 200039)
When you say 200, are you talking of a Beta RR200? As GG / Rieju 200 of that vintage is rare to say the least.

The reason for asking, is of course that I wonder what bike is going to be my next one. My 2015 EC200 is close to 400 hours now.

Beta 200rr don't think i can justify the racing version, and just hoping that what ive read about the beta sachs is true, (apparently they are nothing like the GG sachs of 2010)

swazi_matt 05-23-2022 09:50 PM

saying that i have just made an offer for a gg125 randonne for my son to start riding trials, and paid for a trip home so think this is turning into a slow burn ... i will try all the models and all the years lol

Anders 05-24-2022 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 200043)
Beta 200rr don't think i can justify the racing version, and just hoping that what ive read about the beta sachs is true, (apparently they are nothing like the GG sachs of 2010)

My only experience with the Beta Sachs is from 2017. A friend had a RR300 and the forks were very difficult to get right. He ended up with a set of Ohlins cartridges. I think / hope the later models are better.

swazi_matt 05-24-2022 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 200045)
My only experience with the Beta Sachs is from 2017. A friend had a RR300 and the forks were very difficult to get right. He ended up with a set of Ohlins cartridges. I think / hope the later models are better.

that's worrying.

I know the KYB's are set a bit harder for "racers" but i also know that they can be modified fairly easily for grey-beard-racers. maybe i should save for that. My first post did say i wanted the kyb platform, maybe that should be my target

(F5) 05-24-2022 08:14 PM

I just typed and lost a post. KYB when have option. Revalve KTech clubman spec suits NZ conditions.

Anders 05-25-2022 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 200049)
that's worrying.

I know the KYB's are set a bit harder for "racers" but i also know that they can be modified fairly easily for grey-beard-racers. maybe i should save for that. My first post did say i wanted the kyb platform, maybe that should be my target

The good point with KYB is that they are of high, consistent quality.

At 60+, I am a very slow "racer" (no beard, but grey-haired ;) ). I would never expect a suspension setup to suit me right out of the box.
But with KYB, I would be confident that I (or someone else) would be able to make it work.

The friend that I mentioned with the 2017 Sachs / Beta is one of the best enduro riders in Norway, and he (and his very skilled suspension guy) struggeled for months getting it right, and really never got there. We suspected that there was too much internal friction / stiction in those forks. His latest Beta (possibly a 2021) is better. I think Sachs has improved since then, but would't be willing to take the chance if I should buy a new bike.

Do you (or someone else here) have something to say about the Beta RR200 chassis / motor compared to my 2015 EC200? My EC200 is similar to any EC250 or 300 of the same generation, chassis-wise. I am very pleased with how it handles, so I don't really want a new bike. However, as 380 hours, it starts to show its age in different places. But in the end, that should be just a matter of putting in the right amount of hours and money for service / maintenence and it will be good for another couple of houndred hours.

swazi_matt 05-25-2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 200050)
I just typed and lost a post. KYB when have option. Revalve KTech clubman spec suits NZ conditions.

when you say "Revalve KTech clubman spec" are you referring to kyb or sachs?

(F5) 05-26-2022 02:46 AM

Kyb.

(F5) 06-16-2022 02:45 AM

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...ing/3629969140

swazi_matt 06-16-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 200152)

OOOOHHH!! I love demo bikes ... all my other new bikes have been bought untested and based on magazine reviews (fortunately i didn't fall for the cannondale "bike of the year"!)

Becoming a bit of a demo-whore.

Who knows, i might even be able to satisfy my dirt riding demand just travelling around testing bikes LOL

tonyraft 07-03-2022 05:07 PM

There?s a 2018 GP on trade me .

gg3 07-04-2022 02:43 AM

only 33hrs!.....and has an electric start problem.Still tempting.

swazi_matt 07-04-2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyraft (Post 200217)
There?s a 2018 GP on trade me .

yep, i've tagged that, but just been issued with a $4000 heatpump repair bill (on a 6 year old heat pump!)
the bike looks sooo nice and clean though. At 33 hrs it is basically just run in

tonyraft 07-04-2022 07:42 PM

If you got it you could write a nice story on how you fixed the starter !!!!:):)

(F5) 07-04-2022 08:04 PM

Got a fairly expensive bill just to move an outdoor unit, but Techs thought my unit was at 10 or so years passed life expectancy. Seems there's no superior brands, only ones that are much worse than the top two not so bad brands. Great, thanks.
I have a Fujitsu. Guess which group they thought I was in? :(
Oh well.

swazi_matt 07-05-2022 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 200224)
Got a fairly expensive bill just to move an outdoor unit, but Techs thought my unit was at 10 or so years passed life expectancy. Seems there's no superior brands, only ones that are much worse than the top two not so bad brands. Great, thanks.
I have a Fujitsu. Guess which group they thought I was in? :(
Oh well.

mine is a fujitsu, installer has quoted for hitachi what are the top 2 brands

PS looks like this is sold, no longer on trademe

(F5) 07-06-2022 03:41 AM

Um. . So there's two types of Mitsubishi - different companies. One is much better than the other. Cant remember which. Think Daikan was the other.

Paid attention so I'd remember.

And yet. . ,

gg3 07-07-2022 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyraft (Post 200223)
If you got it you could write a nice story on how you fixed the starter !!!!:):)

yeah I could have written another novel about gasgas starter repairs.Just as well it has sold.I'm thinking of selling my 2018 later this year,considering a Sherco. Is that mid life dementia?

swazi_matt 07-07-2022 05:07 PM

Sherco with kyb is also one of my regular searches.
I have buddy back home who recently got one and is very impressed, but he cam from a 300 husky so anything is better LOL

swazi_matt 07-07-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 200227)
Um. . So there's two types of Mitsubishi - different companies. One is much better than the other. Cant remember which. Think Daikan was the other.

Paid attention so I'd remember.

And yet. . ,

Was wrong, it's a toshiba

(F5) 07-08-2022 07:42 PM

Find a technician or two to see what they would buy.

Rode my mates kyb fitted 21 RR300 Beta. Could touch ground only in non threatening conditions but, what a bike!

Linton 07-19-2022 10:30 PM

Ex Gasser dealer

Hi Swazi Matt
You will find 1 x very lightly demo , left over 2018 EC300 at Amuri motorcycles , 2c Birmingham Drive , Christchurch Ph 03 315-8667 , Ask for Norm and Jan and say Linton from DAS sent you. It's our last one from the NZ importer days - very early 18 production. They seem to to have "voltage dependant CDI" -the battary gets down but spins engine over fine - lazy to spark up at the plug . Kicks over first prod on the kick start . Told there was a reflash / update but finding someone who knows and cares is a modern "Aussie / NZ" agent thing.Urban Moto, the Australian/NZ importers , seem fine for 2018 on parts according to my buddys with them.

(F5) 07-21-2022 01:32 AM

Heya Linton, good to see you here.
I wonder if an Ignitech might be less affected by the voltage drop caused by the starter. They do drop out and have to start up electronics again if voltage sags too low, but we would bump start Buckets with just a capacitor and they would bang into life instantly. Obviously no starter drain , but quick to react.

Or have to think of some clever tiny supplementary battery relay drop out just enough to get it going.

swazi_matt 07-21-2022 04:08 PM

Thank's guys. I have just purchased a 2013 Ossa trials bike (and my buddies thought i couldn't go more obscure than gas gas!!)
and have a trip home just paid for
and also want a dual sport so i can get a bike license too

I just NEED so many bikes!!

Linton 07-21-2022 06:45 PM

Hi Swazi Matt
we must be brothers - Have my Buddies '013 OSSA 280 trials here at the shop, there's more than 1 !!!!
Would love a 300 OSSA enduro bike of that era , has so many features that improve living with modern "cookie cutter" dirt bike design and have a garage full of freaks to keep it company ....

Linton 07-21-2022 06:55 PM

Hi F5 Buddy
The 018 CDI has a cable you can hook up a computer to and read running time , revs etc etc - thinking thats the issuse . Trying to get my guys to try one of my earlier cdi's when the problem is happening to say yes / no . Ran one on my 018 briefly to see that it run plug wise but never got to test that one more - was trying the other "mods" at the time.