Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Nambotin chain sponsor (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7853)

gasgasman 09-05-2010 07:03 PM

Nambotin chain sponsor

What the heck kind of chain is Nambotin running?
Three DNFs due to chain problems.
Now he is in 4th place in the WEC races.:mad:

webmaster 09-05-2010 09:02 PM

Might be a less than optimal chain guide design...

jeff

eff 09-06-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 48284)
What the heck kind of chain is Nambotin running?
Three DNFs due to chain problems.
Now he is in 4th place in the WEC races.:mad:

I was thinking the same thing. I hope he can recover a few places in France.

GMP 09-06-2010 05:23 PM

He should run Les's guide bracket. I whacked mine hard dropping off a ledge Sunday, stoipped and could not beleive there was no damage.

webmaster 09-06-2010 10:02 PM

Les isn't making them any longer - but it would be a good design for GasGas to emulate. The honda XR chain guide, in my opinion, is the best design ever made...

jeff

bchatt 09-06-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 48334)
Les isn't making them any longer - but it would be a good design for GasGas to emulate. The honda XR chain guide, in my opinion, is the best design ever made...

jeff

I made one myself from 2 bits of 6mm equal angle ali extrusion, back to back. Those of us old enough to have ridden during the seventies and eighties will well remember the agony of bouncing up rutted rocky tracks on a Yammy DT360 (or such like) only to have the chain come off the rear sprocket and jam itself around the countershaft. It wasn't unknown for engine cases to be smashed in this way. It was a godsend when bikes started coming out with these moulded plastic chain guides ( that and getting the countershaft nearer to the swingarm pivot!). I took the stock dangly guide off my gasser before I even rode it, and replaced it with an XR guide.
I often wonder why lessons learnt in the past seem to get forgotten - applies to life in general, not just bikes!

Clay 09-07-2010 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 48334)

jeff

Cody Webb lost his chain, too, in the last Endurocross. Anybody got one of the guides that you are talking about that I can send to Spain?
Clay

GMP 09-07-2010 05:03 AM

Clay,

Its an adapter bracket that was designed and sold by LTR for some time that allows the use of a Honda XR chain guide. Its as close to indestructable as you can get. I'd be willing to bet one is sitting on a shelf somewhere at an old dealer, my brother found an LTR impeller this way.

I have been wondering if Les would consider making a run of them now that the prospect of GG sales looks good.

RONALD BRUNDIGE 09-07-2010 05:13 AM

We use the mc bracket and tm design works chain guide and "knock on wood" we have had no issues. I believe moose offers the same bracket. Pu part #01-017BRK We are in the northeast and I am pretty sure its rocky up here. Hope he gets it ironed out.

GMP 09-07-2010 05:28 AM

The big difference between the LTR bracket/Honda guide and the TM Design Works parts I have seen is the LTR/XR Guide is all stiff plastic with a rubber bottom slider and NO METAL frame, so it does not bend and stay bent in a hit. It simply flexes slightly and returns to position in even the most severe impacts. I've found some bent bolts occasionally on disassembly that mount the rubber slider puck to the sides but you would never know by looking at it. The one on my '07 is the same one I installed on my '03 when it was new. Over seven years on two bikes, thats how tough it is, and its nasty here.