Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Stroker Crank (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23305)

jcs003 02-09-2018 11:40 AM

Stroker Crank

Does anyone sell a drop in stroker crank? if not, who is a recommended builder to do the work?

Thank you,

John

PEB 02-09-2018 08:39 PM

For a 2 stroke? I have two used 2 stroke cranks for sale if you want one to send out to have work done on and not tear down what you have.

swazi_matt 02-11-2018 01:00 AM

WHat is a stroker crank? Tried google but not sure it is giving me the right answers

(F5) 02-11-2018 01:44 AM

Well the easy way is to find a rod with a bigger pin so you can offsetbore the crank for more throw.
Why would you bother?
The right needle and a head reshape will bring you more performance

Anders 02-11-2018 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 181419)
WHat is a stroker crank? Tried google but not sure it is giving me the right answers

Its a crank with a longer than "normal" stroke.

Zman 02-11-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 181423)
Well the easy way is to find a rod with a bigger pin so you can offsetbore the crank for more throw.
Why would you bother?
The right needle and a head reshape will bring you more performance

I believe you can weld the existing hole and use the stock size pin. Stroker cranks need to be rebalanced to prevent bad vibes.

Big bore kit is another option.

gasser 02-11-2018 12:39 PM

If I remember right Jim Cook used to have a stroked out 250 - maybe he'll have some info for you.

swazi_matt 02-12-2018 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 181427)
Its a crank with a longer than "normal" stroke.

does that not increase the compression?
What are the benefits of this mod over just ensuring proper squish or modifying the head (insert) to increase the compression?

Anders 02-12-2018 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 181462)
does that not increase the compression?
What are the benefits of this mod over just ensuring proper squish or modifying the head (insert) to increase the compression?

This is a trick mostly used in forstrokes to increase the capacity, like boring out the cylinder. Whether you select to bore or to stroke (or both) would depend on how you want your engine to perform.

You would have to raise cylinder to bring the compression down to normal, often done by placing a spacer under the cylinder. But on a twostroke, a stroker crank would also lead to changes in the port timing, making it more difficult to just add a spacer.

RBrider 02-12-2018 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcs003 (Post 181384)
Does anyone sell a drop in stroker crank? if not, who is a recommended builder to do the work?

Thank you,

John

There's a engine builder in the PNW that builds 2 stroke strokers, but for the life of me can't think of his name. I believe someone on this forum has a long stroke GG done by this person. Maybe in the Chicago area.

RB