Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Rebuild (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1991)

steve 01-06-2008 04:40 PM

Rebuild

Hello I'm new here,but Ialready have a dumb request.I want to rebuild the bottom end of my 06 ec300. I'm on a small budget,I don't want to buy stuff I don't need.Is there a list of MUST HAVE PARTS to make the job succesfull.Can I get help from one of a gas gas compadres? Thanks Steve

GMP 01-06-2008 04:58 PM

Bottom end already?

I wouldn't approach that trying to go cheap. Do it right. Main bearings, seals, crank rebuild with rod kit, gaskets, plus top end parts.

steve 01-06-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 11800)
Bottom end already?

I wouldn't approach that trying to go cheap. Do it right. Main bearings, seals, crank rebuild with rod kit, gaskets, plus top end parts.

I know it might be soon ,I broke my drain plug off and when drilling for the easyout,went to far and punched the drain plug magnet inside the crankcase and can't fish it out,not even with another magnet.The DP magnet is sticking to the metal crankcase parts.So the pre-mature teardown.

steve 01-06-2008 07:53 PM

what is the approx.cost of b-end rebuild?

GMP 01-06-2008 09:03 PM

It should be easy then, you just need access to the transmission. The ignition side main bearing is a two piece roller, so the cases split easy. The crank can stay in the right side case half. Just gaskets and a new clutch basket washer should do it, if the top end is fresh.

steve 01-07-2008 12:12 PM

Do you guys think the dp magnet will grind up and not cause any damage?I'm almost willing to take that chance,it's small and briddle mabey it will grind to dust!Hell,I,ve seen motors eat worse,no.Will somebody enable my stupidty,please,ha ha.

GMP 01-07-2008 12:32 PM

You can jam a primary with a rag or a piece of copper wire, both softer than that magnet. If it finds its way on a gear between two teeth, things will get ugly. Transient forces break things. Take it apart.

PEB 01-07-2008 12:33 PM

It would certainly grind it up, likely taking the tranny with it. I bought a complete tranny for an 03 recently and even with a discount it was not cheap. The 05 tranny is listed for 1051.99 at Gofasters. I would split the cases and fish the stuff out of there. Assuming all the bearings look nice you could jsut replace the needed gaskets. I would put new main bearings, skip the crank and tranny bearings , and a top end as well if that is not fresh.

Paul B

steve 01-13-2008 03:06 PM

Found it

Good I thing I took evryones advise!I SPLIT THE CASES and found the drain plug magnet lodged in the shift drum,Yikes!Now that it's apart,I'll do the bearings,seals and top end.All because a fool just trying to extract a fouled up drain plug.Thanks for everyones advise.