Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Wet mod for 2018 starter (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24501)

GG221 06-02-2019 04:35 PM

Wet mod for 2018 starter

I have read people mentioning the wet mod for the starters so just a couple quick questions. Basically what I am understanding is to plug up the hole in the bottom of the ignition housing, remove the starter and bendix and clean all of the grease off everything , put it back together and dump 4 ounces of 5W fork oil into the bendix assembly. Is that it? Am I missing something or any other tips? Also does this oil ever need to be changed?

Gasser Nate 06-02-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG221 (Post 190279)
I have read people mentioning the wet mod for the starters so just a couple quick questions. Basically what I am understanding is to plug up the hole in the bottom of the ignition housing, remove the starter and bendix and clean all of the grease off everything , put it back together and dump 4 ounces of 5W fork oil into the bendix assembly. Is that it? Am I missing something or any other tips? Also does this oil ever need to be changed?

That is it mate. You can add a small vacuum fitting up the top so it can breathe as well. Beta do not but I thought it was a good idea too on mine. No issues at all what so ever with the electric start. It spins the quickest out of all my mates and always engages. I would just change it when you do a top end.

GG221 06-02-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasser Nate (Post 190280)
That is it mate. You can add a small vacuum fitting up the top so it can breathe as well. Beta do not but I thought it was a good idea too on mine. No issues at all what so ever with the electric start. It spins the quickest out of all my mates and always engages. I would just change it when you do a top end.

Thanks. So by doing this there is no worry about getting oil onto the stator?

Gasser Nate 06-02-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG221 (Post 190283)
Thanks. So by doing this there is no worry about getting oil onto the stator?

The stator will be covered in oil, I have used a synthetic gearbox oil in mine and never had an issue with this Gassy or about three others I have done it to.

GG221 06-02-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasser Nate (Post 190284)
The stator will be covered in oil, I have used a synthetic gearbox oil in mine and never had an issue with this Gassy or about three others I have done it to.

Ok thanks for the help. One more thing, is 4 ounces the right amount? I see for KTM it was 4 but then people started doing 2 instead. And for the vacuum is it necessary, does it need to be drilled and tapped, and does it go on the ignition housing?

Gasser Nate 06-02-2019 10:40 PM

I am in metric land. I have no clue what an ounce is! 🤣 I think I run about 75 millilitres. Yes I drilled and tapped the stator cover. Somewhere up top and away from wiring/accidental damage will be fine.

(F5) 06-03-2019 02:13 PM

We did a mate's. It blew some oil out of it. Then drilled and tapped an empty grease fiting and put a tube upwards towards under tank on it. Great ever since.

GG221 06-03-2019 03:04 PM

Ok thanks again. 75 milliliter is 2.5 ounces

GG221 07-15-2019 06:20 AM

So the bendix gears are sitting above the oil so they will be dry until things start spinning?

Gasser Nate 07-15-2019 08:12 AM

Pulled my bendix cover the other day for the first time to see how it is going after a month of sitting around, still covered in oil and no wear to the bendix cover at all.